Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Real world applications of heavy lifting.

What are some examples in your own life of how lifting heavy has been beneficial to you?
I know many athletes lift heavy to improve their abilities in sports but most adults are not professional athletes, so what applications of having that weight room strength are there in your day to day life? Or are you just strong in the weight room and not so strong in your real life?

Replies

• Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Well, I used to take hubby along to the stables when I had to offload bales of hay - (which can weigh up to 30kg per bale) and bags of food (which weigh 40kg per bag). But, now I do it myself. My saddle also used to be quite heavy and difficult to get on my horse - saddle weighs about 16kg and it's quite a business lifting it up high and over the horse, but now it's much easier!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    I have 2 boys and yesterday tried to bring them to a restaurant. Before the waitress even got to the table I realized it was a bad idea. I got them up to leave and both stared throwing a fit. I was able to carry them out one on each hip. I was in complete control of their flailing. They are 35 and 46 lbs respectively. Because of my strength I was able to be the parent!
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Lifting rucksaks (75 to 100 lbs) was strenuous and now only heavy. But i'm not strong in the weight room. I do bodyweight exercises like pullups and chinups. :drinker: Cheers to the heavy lifters!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    In my job I have to regularly move around 40-80 lb servers, and most of them are about 2 feet x 3 feet x 2 inches.

Is it any wonder that I now carry them around like they're 45 lb plates?
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    I have always been that big guy that gets asked to help friends and family move. So lifting definitely aids in moving boxes and furniture.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Carrying my >80 pound son on my back as I walked / jogged (and he choked me) for 1.5 miles! :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Minor motorcycle accident. I was okay. Had to pick the bike up off the ground.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Throwing the chicas around like rag dolls is definitely a real world application.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Running up and down stairs at work is much easier on my legs.

Lifting crates is easier.

Everyday tasks are easier because I'm stronger.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    I pick up my 30 pound nephew by his feet and do tricep dips with him. He loves it and I've gotten more definition out of my triceps the more he weighs! He also enjoys being "cleaned and pressed" and hanging on to my neck while I do push ups with hime. We're working on me bench pressing him but he's too young to get the concept of laying flat and still and I don't want a broken nose! :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Good question.

Saw this video today:
    Nice body but what can you do with it - part 12 - Rock climbing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWt7cpBd81Y

Certainly, lifting has made me stronger for climbing. I don't mind dangling off an overhang with my feet in space because I know I won't let go plus it's an easy "toe to bar leg raise" to get my feet back on the wall.

I've just started playing tennis and strength means the racket feels soooooo light (<300g) compared to how it used to feel when I played a couple of times in school. Also, I don't have to swing so much to return a ball properly because of my overall strength. Grr!

And loading the 20L water bottle in the office is easy. "Use a trolley, if you want." "Nah, it's only 20kg." :smokin: Next time I'll do shoulder presses with it or something.

Oh, Bulgarian squats with a lass on my back. Looks impressive... but actually very easy. :laugh:
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    I was clearing out my garage and wanted to make room for my brother's furniture because he was moving house. I thought "I know, if I put my tumble drier on top of my washing machine, that will save some space!" So I did. I then helped my brother with his furniture, heavy wooden stuff, down his stairs, into my car, and then into my garage. Better than paying for removal men!

As another poster said above, I only do bodyweight stuff too (for now) but I think the above is not bad for a skinny girl with a bad back!

ETA: playing at the park with the kids is ever so much more fun now I can finally get up the firemans pole and do chin ups on the climbing frame. The other mums look at me like I'm mad :) Probably am, but its better than sitting there bored while the kids have all the fun!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I give my kids all kinds of "rides".

My 4.5 year old's (48 pounds) favourite is to lay across my shoulders while I do squats.

My 6.5 year old's (58 pounds) favourite is to be swung between my legs like a kettlebell.

And both kids love to wrap themselves around my forearms, one on each arm, and then I proceed to do bicep curls.

But MY personal favourite is when they fall asleep on my lap while we're watching a movie/reading stories and I can carry them up 2 flights of stairs to bed, at the same time.

I also love that now I can bring all my groceries in in 2 trips, instead of 3 or 4.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    I thought this thread would get more of a response tbh, not just mummies lifting their kids (which is very useful I admit!)

Just bumping.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    My son was about to topple off the very low stool he was sitting on. I saw it happening and was up out of my chair with a hand on his back before anybody else could react... My sister was totally stunned at how quickly I was out of the chair and to him.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    1.) We had to move some furniture from our second floor all the way down to the basement. I used my new quad strength and arm strength to help stabilize a fairly wide desk while my husband and moved it down a set of circular stairs.

2.) We store our fall decorations on a high shelf in our basement. In the past, I had always asked my husband to take down the three large heavy bins. However, this year my core is fairly strong due to stabilizing what amounts to my body weight on my shoulders doing squats, so when I got the bins off the shelf I had no problem even though I was standing on a chair.

3.) Don't have to take multiple trips to the car after a grocery shopping trip to bring in groceries. Yes!!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Recently my husband and I had to replace our washer and deep freeze. We live in a house that is over 100 years old and appliances can't come up the stairs because they are too narrow. They must go out the rear basement door and be lifted through a hatch in the deck after being maneuvered around some ancient concrete foundation. We did both up the hatch with just the two of us. Mind you it was a freaking pain in the *kitten* that I hope to not repeat any time soon particularly since the washer packed it in mid cycle and still had water in the drum. On a side note, if you ever wonder where your socks disappear to in the washer, they work their way under the drum:happy:

Last winter, we decided to break up the concrete on our rear driveway. It was inexpertly poured and looked like a pile of concrete vomit that was unusable for parking. I have a sledge hammer I've used for conditioning and broke up the concrete with the sledge and carried it and piled it for disposal. It should be noted that smashing concrete is significantly different than hammering a tire. I could feel the impact of metal and concrete ringing up my arms for days.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Pouring salt into the water softener is much easier.

Carrying moderately-heavy, awkward items becomes less awkward.

Less fatigue, greater safety, and all around higher competence when it comes to anything requiring physical strength.
  • So many tasks have become much easier since I started lifting. I brew beer at home, and I've noticed a huge difference when lugging grain bags around, etc. I have a big 15 gallon plastic tub I soak empty bottles in to clean them and get the labels off. I used to have to empty the water with a scoop, but now I can just lift the whole thing up to the utility sink and dump it in one go.

I just got rid of an incredibly heavy old tube television, and I was able to carry out to the car without needing to stop every few feet. Bringing groceries inside requires about half as many trips. Lugging servers and switch equipment around at work is simple now. Heavy lifting has been incredibly useful outside the gym for me.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Last winter, we decided to break up the concrete on our rear driveway. It was inexpertly poured and looked like a pile of concrete vomit that was unusable for parking. I have a sledge hammer I've used for conditioning and broke up the concrete with the sledge and carried it and piled it for disposal. It should be noted that smashing concrete is significantly different than hammering a tire. I could feel the impact of metal and concrete ringing up my arms for days.
    Wow. Hammering concrete into pieces when it's backed by dirt is no easy task. Sharing this story will earn you massive respect points from anyone experienced at this type of job. ;)