What are some of your go-to snack ideas?

Options
I'm getting ready to stock my office fridge and desk with healthy lunch and snack items. I read somewhere about combining fruits with a serving of nuts, and some other combos to help blast through the afternoon slump at work. So I ask you... what are your favorite go-to healthy snacks to have on hand??

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers. String cheese. Almonds. Some type of fruit. I like to eat fruit with salty things because it feels more like a meal than just stuffing something down as a snack. Cheese and crackers with half an apple or grapes or something is my favorite.

A lot of people do Greek yogurt, but I'm tragically not a fan.
  • jenz492
    Options
    I buy bulk nuts and per-portion them in baggies so I can quickly grab them when I want them and know exactly how many calories I am in-taking! I also love to keep Cuties on hand in my work bag for a quick pick-me-up if I start to feel hungry since they are so portable and purse/work bag friendly!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack:
    Take an apple, wash and slice it into a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cinnamon on top. Microwave for 1 minute. Top with 1 tbsp (or 2 if you have the room) peanut butter. SO frickin good!!!
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    nuts, hummus, celery, carrots, fruit - all these in moderation of course.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mmmm that sounds good! I haven't tried adding PB before
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I hard boil a dozen eggs on Sunday and I have them as snacks or with meals during the week.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Other than fruit and veg..
    Rice cakes, flavoured tuna (and gum! haha), corn kernels, cashews, Le Rice (ADDICTED! not that good for you but a great source of tasty calcium), tea. Get's me through!
  • gary48
    gary48 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with celery sticks! Boring, yes, but lots of fiber and almost no calories. You can eat them all day. Beware of loading them down with peanut butter (yum!), because a single tablespoon of peanut butter is almost 100 calories!
  • gogozinn
    gogozinn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This was my question exactly. I realize since I've been eating better and actual meals that I hit it hard in the afternoon before it's time to get off. I put greek yogurt on my list, almonds, and string cheese, which I love and doesn't make me feel like it's a snack, but a meal. Peanut butter and celery seem to be a stellar combination as far as fiber/filling, so I'm definitely going to choose those I have to watch the sugar carbs, so I am not going to get too much into fruit, but apples definitely. And apparent sugar free jello or popsicles are good snacks. Granola bars, whole wheat crackers, air-popped individual size popcorns.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    100 calorie Emerald Cocoa Almonds - satisfies the chocolate or muchy craving in the afternoon.
    Greek yogurt tides me over between lunch and dinner if I really need something.
    A granny smith apple with peanut butter is another favorite.
  • andrewj87
    Options
    I usually stock packs of roasted almonds and a box of Nature Valley chewy granola bars (fruit and nut) in my desk drawer at work. Holds me over as my mid morning and mid afternoon snack.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big snack person and I work 8-5 with an hour lunch break so I find there's generally no need for me to snack during the afternoons. However, every couple of weeks I drive about an hour post-work (instead of my usual 3 minute commute) and I definitely need something to get me through until dinner. Typically, I'll bring a boiled egg, a few cashews and reduced sugar Craisins, or a Clif organic Z bar (yummy kids' treat with 120-140 calories, but very very filling and satisfying). They sell Z bars at Target if you're interested in that and right now they have some fun Halloween flavors in the Halloween aisle.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A quest bar for a yummy low net-carb, high protein treat! A nice hot cup of hot chai tea with SF vanilla creamer...

Hummus with veggies.

If in a crunchy mood, chocolate Fiber One 80 calorie cereal.
  • lookgoodtoday
    Options
    Wish I new! having fruit is ok , I also ate yoqurt. can't have nuts so I will put peanut butter on a low fat graham cracker , but I would love someone to tell me a sweet treat to eat! Guest I am in the same boat! Jello is not it ,I like to crunching.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I don't snack
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack:
    Take an apple, wash and slice it into a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cinnamon on top. Microwave for 1 minute. Top with 1 tbsp (or 2 if you have the room) peanut butter. SO frickin good!!!

*drool* I will definitely be trying this!

My go-to snacks are greek yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, protein bars, protein shakes, nuts, apples, strawberries, bananas, cheese.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    String cheese, fage greek yogurt, planter's nuts, and (most frequently) straight up spoonfuls of skippy natural PB.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    String Cheese and almonds
    Nature Valley Protein Granola Bar
    Some type of fruit (I usually do a green apple 30min to an hour before a workout as it gives me energy)

My mid-morning snack is usually 2 servings of egg product with black beans. Filling, feels like a meal and its yummy.
  • AuraLynne
    AuraLynne Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i totally go for a baggie of baby carrots with hummus. if i'm in a rush though or driving i head to a quick 100 calorie pack.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I make trail mix