Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman!!!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago, liked it for a while. Not crazy about the cleaning process. I prefer my cast iron grilled with pan press, or cast enamel griddle with press. I can adjust the temp for whatever I am cooking.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I used the hell out of my Foreman when I was in college/just graduated.
  • TheTomMalone
    TheTomMalone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my Foreman grill, and have been using one for years as a quick, easy way to grill meat. Tip for chicken: marinate it if you can, and be sure not to overcook. It cooks fast (5-7 minutes) so people tend to leave it on too long. I've never had a problem with dried-out chicken.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago. It will cook what you need and cook it fine. But Ifound it a PITA to clean and deal with, so personally I wouldn't get another one.
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    About the chicken - I marinated mine every time and don't have dry chicken.

^This! I grew up with a GF grill and loved it. So worth the cost, my parents' grill lasted 10 years I think.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    A cast iron grill or skillet is a lot cheaper and easier to use and will never break on you! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I cook everything except chicken (too dry) on mine. It does a great job with burgers, bacon, turkey burgers ( I put shredded zucchini in mine so they won't be dry), steaks, and fish (gets done very quickly) . I've even done grilled cheese, and other sandwiches, I love my Foreman grill!

I've been happier with the larger one I bought a few years ago because you can adjust the temps. The small one is really only good for burgers.

I think the majority of my grilling would be between chicken breasts, steaks and burgers. Since you guys all seem to have had bad experiences with chicken I guess I'll have to find another way to deal with that. Guess it really is still good for veggies, bit more exciting than simply steaming them.

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated.
    I used to use mine for chicken breasts and they didn't come out dry.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys use a George Foreman grill? Does it do a good job of cooking whatever you throw at it? I'm thinking it's time I buy a decent compact indoor grill and that has always seemed to have been the most popular one around with the whole "drain excess fat and grease away from food" concept. Was just wondering if it's actually worth the premium price rather than some other generic electric grill. Thoughts?

Well, grills pretty much by design drain away the grease, so yeah, it's hype if you believe that's unique to the Foreman. It's not a bad grill, but I wouldn't say it's special. If I replaced mine I would not necessarily buy another Foreman, but I wouldn't avoid it either.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I used our little one all the time but it finally broke, so I broke down and bought the standing indoor/outdoor George Foreman. I love it. I have it on the back porch right outside the kitchen door so all I have to do is go out and plug it in when I want to use it. I can fit a lot more on it at one time then I could on the counter top one so I can grill up enough so I have leftovers for the week.
  • yousendme
    Options
    I got mine at the thrift store for 5 bucks. Its a trooper. I don't cook much on it...heh I actually got it for Paninis. I have cooked chicken thigh on it, I don't care for Chicken breast in general. My son cooks bacon on it. And its great for bacon, but for really grease free bacon, you must microwave it!
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    A cast iron grill or skillet is a lot cheaper and easier to use and will never break on you! :flowerforyou:

I'll give you the cheaper (though not "a lot") and will not break, but not the easier to use. No way.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Love mine for quick cooking, chicken breast or fish. My son used it a lot during football season, sometimes you need a double cheese burger before dinner or after a Friday night game. And I love to do grilled sandwiches on it. Just get the one with removable plates for easy clean up. But with anything, it only cooks low fat if you put low fat stuff on it.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    I've had mine for 5 years, and my kiddo's never broke it. Whatever one you get, just be nice to the non stick surface and it will be nice to you.
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    We use ours most mights of the week, even for chicken. It cooks food so fast and can dry it out pretty quickly, so you have to keep an eye on what your cooking and/or set a timer. I cut check breasts super thin and cook for about 3 minutes per side and it's still pretty moist, but not undercooked. I spray it with Trader Joe's coconut oil spray first before placing on the grill for a little extra moisture. Beef burgers, turkey burgers, veggie burgers, veggies, chicken, seafood, grilled cheese sandwiches have all been cooked on mine and so far we love it. It's easy to clean, food does not stick (yet) and it's nice to see all the fat drip away instead of being ingested. Good luck!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago. It will cook what you need and cook it fine. But Ifound it a PITA to clean and deal with, so personally I wouldn't get another one.

I put some aluminum foil under and over whatever I'm cooking (making sure the grease will drain from the foil into the pan) so that I don't have to spend as much time clearning it up afterwards.

Works like a charm.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use mine for nearly everything. Bacon is a must on it as it's so much cleaner without all of that grease everywhere! If you use a meat thermometer on chicken it won't dry out. I just plug my thermometer into the side of a chicken breast and grill away. It beeps when it's at the proper temp and I pull them off and let them rest for 5 minutes.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    cooks everything pretty well, I hate cleaning it. I can't submerge it in water so I never really feel like I've gotten it clean.
  • andrewj87
    Options
    This is the ultimate grill, Brother!

http://www.hulkhogangrill.org/

Is that still a thing? lol. I'm gonna be hearing that guy's voice in my head everytime I pull that thing out.
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a cuisinart brand that also has reversible and removable plates, so you can wash them in the sink. And it unfolds flat and you reverse the plates for a flat griddle for stuff like pancakes, etc.

Chicken breasts don't dry out because of the grill. they dry out because they are overcooked. We use a meat thermometer; the breasts don't dry out, and they are tasty.

And great for paninis.

I will say, I don't feel like it gets hot enough to cook a good sear on beef. If I'm cooking a good steak, it doesn't come out with a nice crust. If I'm cooking a single burger, it's great. But if I cover the whole plate with burgers for the whole family, it seems to cool down too much and struggles to recover, so the burgers don't get good grill marks, etc. So that stuff generally gets done in a skillet instead.

So that's what I think.