First 5K this weekend. Advice?

Options
Hi. So my friend wanted me to do a 5K with her this coming Saturday but I just found out about it last week. It's for a good cause and I have always wanted to do one so I signed up. I'm not a "good" runner and I have been able to run 3 miles twice in my life on a treadmill! So last Thursday I went for a run around my neighborhood with the Map My Run app and I was able to run 2 miles without stopping (20 minutes). I probably could have gone a bit farther but didn't want to injure myself. I really want to push myself and be able to run the whole thing on Saturday. My friend won't be running with me now as she sprained her ankle pretty badly over the weekend. Any advice on last minute things I can do to prepare this week and and advice for race day on completing the whole thing? I really want to do it without walking at all. I've been pretty consistent doing some kind of exercise for the past 1.5 years but running has never been my strong suit. I'd really like to get into running more too and be able to complete more 5Ks. Thank you!

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I can make is just to stick to the pace that's comfortable for you. When there is a lot of people running around you, it's really easy to stick with them and end up going way faster than you expected, then be burnt out by mile 2. Let people pass you and don't let yourself be caught up with their pace, just focus on how you are feeling and pushing yourself at your pace.