Work week lunches

Options
What do you do for lunch during the work week? (applies whether you work outside the home or not)

I am able to go home for lunch since I just have a 2 mile commute. I usually make something quick at home. Today it's lobster nachos = 2 oz of Kanimi Lobster Smart, 12 tortilla triangle chips, sprinkling of cheddar-jack, sliced green onion & red peppers, melted in microwave and 1/2 T each taco sauce & plain Greek yogurt on top.

Sometimes I eat leftovers from the weekend (curries, TVP lasagna, salad stuff, etc) or a frozen burrito (yeah yeah, I know) covered with shredded lettuce. I used to feel like I needed something sweet, but now I've gotten in the habit of saving that for dinner time so at most I'll grab a few grapes or wedge of cantaloupe along with my lunch.

One day per week, I go out with my dad. We don't eat anything crazy...every once in a great while we split a plate of fried catfish but more often it is veggie flatbread from Subway, egg biscuit or pecan waffle from Waffle House, burrito bowl at Chipotle.

Just looking for ideas and wondering what everyone else likes to have for lunch!

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Salads
    Soup
    Leftovers
    Frozen meals for lazy mornings.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Often, leftovers.

However, I've recently started crockpot cooking bit batches of beans on the weekend and then taking a bowl of beans for lunch. High in fiber, so they are good for making you feel full. Been trying to always keep some cooked beans in the freezer for easy, healthy meals when I've got nothing else around.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I usually try to bring my lunches for the week on Monday. I got to the gym on my lunch a few days a week so I bring A package of salad mix, a few apples, string cheese, granola bars, a few cans of soup, etc. That way I know I have lunch there and it's healthy.

A few weeks ago I bought spinach, feta and green apples. Had that salad for lunch 3 days that week and it was still cheaper than one fast food meal..
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    cook it, weigh out each portion, package it up sunday night.

makes for easy mornings.

grab a tupperware and go.

its usually chicken, rice, and a veg.

this week is chicken curry, jasmine rice, and sugar snap peas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of sammiches, particularly during the summer. As the season changes here and things cool down I'll start doing a lot more soups and stews and casseroles and such, for which left-overs come in handy. I generally don't go out of my way for lunch.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

makes for easy mornings.

mmm jasmine rice.

I can eat the same thing several days in a row, but not the same thing every day for lunch. I am not sure why! A few years ago, I would do the Sunday night thing...but by Wednesday I'd be sick of that lunch and seek out fast food! hehe
  • andrewj87
    Options
    Don't precook meals for the week so usually I'll make something extra simple at work. Today was a low cal bagel with a slice of cajun chicken breast and american cheese.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

makes for easy mornings.

mmm jasmine rice.

I can eat the same thing several days in a row, but not the same thing every day for lunch. I am not sure why! A few years ago, I would do the Sunday night thing...but by Wednesday I'd be sick of that lunch and seek out fast food! hehe

lol i am typically pretty tired of it by thursday, but just try to power through.

"it's only fuel...it's only fuel...it's only fuel..."
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sandwich/wrap with a piece of fruit. I typically go for ham and/or turkey with pepperjack cheese and a handful of baby romaine in a flat out multigrain wrap. Sometimes I'll make up some chicken salad but only like it for a few days before I get sick of it. Once in a while I'll bring in supper leftovers if Hubs doesn't eat them up in time.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really love those pureed soups that come in a tetrapak, like Knorr or Campbells Gardennay.
    They don't have a ton of calories, but are very filling and come in lots of flavours so you can mix it up a bit. I add my own spice like Rooster Sauce or Curry depending on the soup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I grill about six or seven chicken breasts on Sunday and through them in fridge; then night before work I dice it up and package it and also bring in some cottage cheese and greek yogurt...
  • coopscoopc
    coopscoopc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my Sunday afternoons Meal planning for the whole week. Then I go shopping. I have my dinners planned out and things I want for my days. I too am a firm believer in prepping for the week. I make salads for 3 of us and pack them up in tupperware. Everyone grab one and a bottle of dressing they desire and slam it in the lunch pack.

I will make my low carb turkey wraps.... light cream cheese, 4 slices turkey, load up on any crunchies, mushrooms peppers onions etc... wrap them up and place them in sandwich keepers.. throw it in the lunch pack. Same with any type of soup I make for the week.

Sometimes I cook an extra chicken or fish for my lunch the next day. But I always always always package up in baggies fruits and veggies... and slam them in my lunch pack.

BK - i hard boil eggs, grab greek yogurts, maybe just an apple and slice of toast... It's just fuel... slam in in the lunch pack and off I go racing to work to avoid the grid lock. :smile:
  • maybek8e
    maybek8e Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I often times make Scotch Eggs (aka protein pellets). Or just make burgers in general, but skip the bun. All gluten free but filling. Add avocado and an egg to the top of your burger. I make everything on Sundays and divide it up into microwaveable containers.

I'm also a sucker for ground bison lately and LOVE making tacos with them (hard shell tacos). Limit myself to 3 (so good). I add Spanish rice, avocado and salsa verde to the taco. Low cal, gluten free, delish and good for you.. well, better for you than some things that could be eaten! Especially when homemade and you have control over what you put in it.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tend to stock a bit of everything in my office so that I have options. Cans of soup, frozen meals, cans of tuna, yogurt, and salad mix top my list. This allows me to have a few days of "backup" meal options for those days when I failed to bring leftovers or other lunch options. Lunch options typically are leftovers or grilled chicken with veggies, sandwich with a side of veggies or even a half a sandwich with homemade soup. I usually have a piece of fruit or a Vitatop handy as my sweet if I'm craving it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I always keep on hand .......

raw veggies
    leafy greens
    hummus
    cottage cheese
    hardboiled eggs
    lowfat cheesesticks
    yogurt
    low sugar jams
    fresh fruit
    whole grain crackers
    almond butter
    lowfat, low sodium soups (Pacific)
    leftovers from dinner & big batch cooking

My lunches & snacks are any combination of the above ...... one day a week, the boss buys pizza :drinker:
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    every day

half cut up yellow/red pepper
    half cucumber
    1/2cup honeydew melon
    sometimes a piece of baked/grilled chicken or fish
    and steamed veggies
  • Mongognom
    Options
    My day is turned around, since I work nights. So I have to bring whatever I'm eating or go for the vending machines (which I used to do and is one of the reasons why I have 17kg to lose). So my 'lunch' is around 2am and consist of: Avocado and bread, with nuts and fruit (depends what I have) or bread with goat cheese and kiwi. I have emergency bags with oatmeal in case I get hungry again before the shift is over.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

makes for easy mornings.

mmm jasmine rice.

lol i am typically pretty tired of it by thursday, but just try to power through.

I make two different options and alternate them for dinner/lunch throughout the week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

makes for easy mornings.

mmm jasmine rice.

I make two different options and alternate them for dinner/lunch throughout the week.

Yeah that is sort of what I do!! :-)

I live alone Mon-Thurs (long story) and generally have 2-3 "meals" for the week in mind when I am making my grocery list. Then I switch through them for lunches and dinners all 4 days. Or mix it up...for example this week I have a lot of extra potatoes and avocado so I'll prepare those 3 different ways at different times. And use my imitation lobster in nachos, avocado wheat pasta, and on a salad.
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump