Grunting, What's Wrong With It?

Do you have a problem with grunting, and why?

Just last week I was hitting an AMRAP set and I grunted each rep, not because I think I'm some cool guy, but because the weight was kicking my *kitten*.

I actually failed on the 4th set and had to bail the weight on the safety bars. It was tough.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Nothing wrong with it at all.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    I grunt too when the weight is kicking my *kitten*!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    I grunt
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Grunting is fine - allthough if you are grunting loud enough for people in the next room to hear you I am bound to think you are being rediculous
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    All for Grunting.... :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    It's context specific. When deadlifting, okay. When on the treadmill, it's a bit much.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Proud grunter! :flowerforyou:
  • Id be weary of heavier weights, could be fine but monitor your form (yes be the "douche" looking in the mirror) and be sure you are keeping proper form.

You could potentially really hurt your back or certain muscle groups.
    Never be afraid or feel inferior if you need to drop weights, its better to start looking like you cant move a crap ton than looking like you hurt yourself doing the wrong kind of workout, and then also being out of the gym a while.....not worth it ;)

If your form is proper, dont worry about it!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    It's context specific. When deadlifting, okay. When on the treadmill, it's a bit much.

:laugh:
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    I grunt, I try to keep it a little quiet, but I do grunt.

Also, foolsforsarah, it is wary not weary. Sorry, one of my pet peeves. Unless you are saying you are weary of lifting all heavy weights because its hard work. It is, lifting makes me weary and I am always wary of my form.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Don't care, grunt away.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    I guess it depends on the context. There's a difference between hearing someone grunt when I'm actually in the same area vs another part of the gym. If I can hear you 50+yards away around the corner in another room when I'm wearing my headphones (this has happened) then I have to wonder if you're grunting because it helps you get through the set...or are you grunting because you want everyone to pay attention to you?

It's basically the same reaction I have to people who sneeze loudly. I suppose it's possible that they absolutely can't keep from dragging out that sneeze so that the entire floor can offer them a blessing, but I have my doubts.
  • It depends on the grunt.

If it's a normal grunt while you're struggling and the people in your general vicinity can hear it then that's fine.

But if it's the really loud screaming grunt that reverberates through the gym in the 'check out how much I can lift brah!' kind of way then it's annoying and makes me laugh.

There was a guy at the gym on Friday who was making these weird grunting/girlie "WOOOO!" noises as he's lifting the entire stack of weights on his seated rows. He had horrific form but was doing it in the "Check it out. Look. Look at how much I'm lifting. I'm HUUUUUUUUUUGE!" way that cracked me up (and was super annoying).
  • It's basically the same reaction I have to people who sneeze loudly. I suppose it's possible that they absolutely can't keep from dragging out that sneeze so that the entire floor can offer them a blessing, but I have my doubts.

I am a loud sneezer and it has nothing to do with wanting everyone to bless me. Sometimes my sneezes sneak up on me and they are very loud and they actually hurt my throat. It drives my husband nuts when my sneezes come out that way but I can't help it. :blushing: There's no way for me to know how my sneeze is going to come out until it's there.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    You're at a gym. If you have an issue with grunting, or people sweating, or smelling bad, then I suggest a home gym.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    too sexy maybe?
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 130 Member
    At my gym grunting seems to increase in amount and volume in proportion to the number of women in hearing range
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member

:laugh:

Agreed! :)
  • You're at a gym. If you have an issue with grunting, or people sweating, or smelling bad, then I suggest a home gym.

I think the issue is when it's the loud yelling grunt that's heard all across the gym in the 'check me out. YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" kind of way.

I'm fine with a normal human grunt that says "yes, my weight is heavy. I'm struggling but it's cool." Not the annoying show-off grunt that just makes the person doing it look like a complete tool. I grunt I'm nearing failure on my set but I don't make a big production out of it like some people do.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member

WIN! :flowerforyou: