October 2013 Move Your *kitten* Challenge

Options

Replies

• future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    :grumble: - I tried to respond to something here and messed up. I'll try again when I'm awake :yawn:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Had a nasty headache today:sick: and the only thing that helped was walking on the treadmill :huh: Doesn't make sense to me either but hey, my head stopped hurting and I got my *kitten* moving more. :bigsmile:

October total 123 miles Hey :bigsmile: I think I'm in the green! :bigsmile: Begin Happy Dance. :bigsmile:

exercise.png
  • taxmom9093
    Options
    Tack on another 21 miles for 325 total. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......

Of course you can, of course you can, of course you can...... :happy: We'll all keep cheering you on til you get there.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just spent 4 days in Vegas. Couldn't believe how much walking we did!

MTD through 10/23:

exercise.png
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Had a nasty headache today:sick: and the only thing that helped was walking on the treadmill :huh: Doesn't make sense to me either but hey, my head stopped hurting and I got my *kitten* moving more. :bigsmile:

I've gotten rid of headaches the same way. Not sure if it's the extra oxygen? Or getting the blood pumping?
  • dellsordahl
    Options
    7 miles today. 144 done
  • taxmom9093
    Options
    @Bunny I'm not too thrilled with the cold myself, but I'm gonna try to get out there tomorrow. (The freeze warning has me a little hesitant but....:laugh: ) I'll be right there with you in the how many layers can I wear club :bigsmile: Somebody please tell me it gets easier eventually. :laugh:

@Tex. I'm not even going to try to offer advice here...certainly not qualified. But do take care of yourself please. I've said it before to others, sometimes you just need to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

For everyone in this challenge :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: THANK YOU!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This is a safe place for us to share our successes and our struggles too in moving our a$$es. I can't tell you how happy I am that I stumbled into this challenge in June. :bigsmile: You all inspire me to do my best and I hope I do the same for you.:flowerforyou:
  • animefan914
    animefan914 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    7.15miles today for a total of 138.57miles.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    @ Tex - Consulting a nutritionist would be your best bet but barring that I'll give you what I've learned from my coaches. It's OK to run a calorie deficit but not an extreme deficit. If you are finishing the day with a negative balance in calories, you are creating several problems. The first problem is that you body is going to get its energy from somewhere. If you aren't supplying it, it will start tearing apart the muscles to get what it needs. The body needs a balance of nutrients after a workout in order to be able to supply the energy for the next event as well as to heal the muscles and tendons you just put under strain. So, at the end of a hard workout, you should be taking in a balance carbs and proteins after a workout. Those carbs and proteins need to be sufficient to allow the body to heal, build and resupply glycogen. If you are trying to lose weight, reducing the amount of calories in helps but if you drop that amount too low, the body starts to panic so it ramps up the body's ability to store energy. So that brings up problem number two. Problem number two is if you are running a negative number at the end of the day, your metabolism will start to slow down and it will become harder to lose weight or maintain weight as you get older. If you are trying to lose weight you want to run a deficit that will allow you to lose weight slow enough that your body doesn't panic and start slow your metabolism. The third problem of running a negative number at the end of the day is your brain. If you are running a moderate deficit your brain still has lots of glucose so your thinking is still clear. If you are running a negative number, your body switches to Ketones for energy. Ketones are the byproduct of muscle break down and in addition to putting your body under stress as your liver has to metabolize the ketones, your kidneys have to dump the excess nitrogen and your muscles have to deal with the water loss from needed fluids to dump the ketones, your brain has to switch from a glucose to ketones which can leave you with episodes of dizziness and with headaches. The bottom line is, it's OK to run a deficit on calories but it's not OK to run negative numbers.

Hope that answers your question.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    23 Oct 3.82 miles
    24 Oct 2.7 miles
    25 Oct 5.10 miles

MTD 149.79 miles

I am going to have to give up running so I can read all the posts!!
  • Jcsmith5210
    Jcsmith5210 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Another 6 I hop rim back in the green
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @ Leanz - I had to laugh when I read your post. :-)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Tack on another 12 miles. 337 total. I think my legs are starting to rebel.

exercise.png
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    We've had crappy weather for days (cold, rainy and über windy), but today I was finally able to hit my goal.

10/3: walking 5.67km
    10/6: running 2.23km
    10/11: bicycling 6.4km
    10/12: bicycling 14.4km
    10/13: walking 4.92km
    10/14: bicycling 18.19km
    10/15: running 8.94km
    10/16: running 3.12km, bicycling 9km
    10/17: bicycling 32.81km
    10/18: bicycling 16.6km
    10/20: running 3.6km
    10/21: running 2.56km
    10/25: running 4.97km

total: 133.41km
    left: none (+3.41km)

exercise.png
  • rockann16
    rockann16 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Adding 11 miles

exercise.png
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Man was it cold out this morning and Bunny does not do cold weather:laugh:
    I felt like I needed to wear so many layers to stay warm. Then the wind just kept blowing my hoodie off my head.:ohwell:

Experiment with thinner layers which will help trap the warm air in.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Oct 25th - 3.2 miles on stairmaster 50 minutes straight at 50 steps / minute new NSV!

--> This is interesting... Knocking out Miles on a stairmaster is tougher than walking on flat ground. But I refuse to add a "curve" or "fudge factor". The fact that I can do stairmaster is my goal. That being said.. I am still going to up my goal next month to 120!

Total "October Miles: 123.7

exercise.png
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    @dcmat thanx for the advice i will try. I went out last night in search of some things that might help. How about a ski mask Lol.. that wind is awfully cold on my face. Get like a wrestling mask .....okay im just laughing at myself now. I just invisioned myself on the bike riding on the trails with it on. I think I have the giggles right now....:laugh: seriously though thanx for the advice.