30 Day Shred and weight gain

Options
I think I just need a little support.

I'm on day 6 of 30 Day Shred with 2lb hand weights (plan to move up to 3lbs soon). I'm still a little sore today but seem to be recovering from the muscle pain I've encountered for days. I've gone on a "lower carb" diet, almost completely gluten free.

I'm feeling a tad discouraged because I've actually gained 3lbs since I started. I know I shouldn't be phased by this. Plenty of people have told me that it's natural to gain a few pounds when starting a new workout but it still bugs me. It might be only water weight but I'm not certain.

How long does this water weight issue last? I don't expect to see massive weight loss, though when I only diet I can lose up to 5lbs in a week, but I'd like to NOT see weight gain.

Ultimately, I'd like to finish the 30 Day Shred, move on to Ripped in 30 (I like Jillian) and then alternate those videos with some kind of short cardio workout. Is this a good plan?

Replies

• Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Well I am just a newbie for 30ds but I gained 6 pounds in the first 9 days. I went from 181 to 185 to 187 then to 185 and now to 183. LOL. I know it is all over the place. It is discouraging to see the scale go up, but I am going to stick it out anyway. I know it is most likely water so I try not to worry about the scale. I think I am going to only weigh myself once a week so I don't obsess about it.

I was thinking about doing her Body Revolution after 30ds. 30ds is killer on my knees so it depends on how JMBR is on them. I do know a lot of people go to Ripped in 30 after Shred, so it should be a good goal for you.

There is a group for those starting the 30ds Sept 30 (but you can start before, I did). It is a good place to see where others are at and chat about the different exercises.

Good luck!
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    From the sound of things "Ripped in 30" will be too advanced for you after only 30 days of "shred".....try to do at least 90 days worth of "shred" adding 20-30 minutes of cardio to build your endurance. I did this after my baby before with great results. I know for a fact "ripped in 30" is advanced cause I injured myself a year ago.

As far as the weight gain I am unsure. Just keep eating good (in a deficit of course) , working out, drinking water, and talking with your doctor.

Good luck :-)
  • MamaKatel
    Options
    yep, same thing happened to me when I started 30ds a few years back. Also, I just started doing p90x and also gained weight. After 2-3 weeks I lost the weight I gained and now I'm hoping to start loosing. Good luck!
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I really like Jillian's workouts because I need to fit it all into a 45 minute window. I can do it everyday but only for 45 minutes or less.

I'm relieved to hear about other people having initial weight gain and then losing. I don't know why I'm so hung up on the scale. I did take my measurements when I started to see real progress. I just feel bloated and fat right now, lol.
  • bmoriarty27
    bmoriarty27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 14 of 30 Day Shred and have been really frustrated because the scale has barely budged, and even more frustratingly seems to fluctuate by a pound or two depending on the day. I'm one month postpartum, so that may have something to do with it for me, but I wanted to share my day 1 and day 13 result pictures because even though I haven't lost anything, I think you can tell a difference. Stick with it and ignore the scale!

Day1Front.jpg
    Day13Front.jpg
    SideDay1amp13.png