Can someone explain Stronglifts 5x5 to this wet noodle?

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It's a basic and well structured strength building program. While on it, don't try fix it up or change it in any way. Follow exactly what it says you're meant to do.

It's designed by professionals, so leave it that way.

You can do it at the gym, yes. You do NOT need to buy it, you can get it free if you search for it, or head over to www.jefit.com and find it there. The only way to get 'lean muscular' is to have a small surplus of your daily calorie intake, or by bulking up and then going on a cut in the future.
    The word "professional" is used a little too loosely here but I do agree with you in that you just do it is as is. The program was basically hijacked from a true professional and re-marketed by a douche'-bag that has a little muscle.

Rofl, who did he steal it from?

Bill Starr
  • boystennismom
    boystennismom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. It's free, and you get what you pay for.

Picked up Starting Strength about a month into doing Stronglifts, and while the programs are close to the same, the amount of detail that Starting Strength goes into leaves Stronglifts in the dust. One of the best $30 I've ever spent (and the Kindle e-book edition is only $10, if that floats your boat).

Plus, Mehdi (the guy behind Stronglifts) is annoying as hell, but that's my personal opinion.

... what did Starting Strength give you that SL5x5 didn't?

*NOT TROLLING*

Have you seen the SS book? It's an exhaustive explanation of the biomechanics behind the main compound lifts, detailed and illustrated descriptions of setup, bar paths, optimum stances and grip widths and the reasons behind every variation, and lots of info for troubleshooting common problems with the lifts.

Also, it doesn't do the whole "start with just the bar!!!" nonsense that SL does (which is purely a marketing stunt so that he can say "Joe Blow added 200 lbs to his squat in just 16 weeks!!!"). Rip tells you how to decide what point to start the weights at so you are not wasting your time for weeks just because you did the program as designed.

And unlike Javacafe, I believe that the Power Clean is a great addition to a beginner program. Learning to generate power from the floor is a great stimulus to fast-twitch muscle fibers (which women already get screwed on and can use all the help they can get, incidentally), and carries over wonderfully into other lifts. It's also far less isolated in its effects than the barbell row. Overall, the difference between the row and the PC is the smaller of the issues, though. The SS book is worth every penny, whether you decide to do the other program or not.

I don't disagree with the statement that SS is a great program. In fact, I own the book and have read it several times, and have learned an enormous amount from it. I keep the book handy and browse it frequently. Neither do I contest the assertion that Power Clean is a top notch routine.

My only point is that, for me, it was intimidating enough to stop me from even approaching the SS program. The difference between the efficacy for the two program levels dwarf in comparison to many other factors, which have to do with adoption friendliness, sustainability, and perceived user friendliness. In other words, the difference between someone doing SS and SL is minute, if at all measurable, compared to the difference between someone adopting either of these and someone who is not doing anything at all. That is all I wanted to say, along with the very clearly placed disclaimer that what I expressed was merely my opinion, generated from my perspectives; there will certainly be others who might disagree.

What I will not agree with is the assertion that SL5x5 is "useless" or a "gimmick" or a waste of time. I will not argue with anyone who thinks along those lines but, in my scheme of things, that would be a ridiculous assertion.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has done both programs, Stronglifts didn't give me everything I wish I had known when I started. I really wish I had started with Starting Strength over Stronglifts.

This was exactly my experience, also.
  • javacafe
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has done both programs, Stronglifts didn't give me everything I wish I had known when I started. I really wish I had started with Starting Strength over Stronglifts.

This was exactly my experience, also.

I am really curious as to *how* you found SS more beneficial? Meaning, in what way? (I am not being snarky or sarcastic; this is genuine curiosity.)

In fact, after having followed SL5x5 for my cut phase, I made a bit of a change to it (blasphemy, I know!) to suit my own purpose. The changes have to do with sets and reps. Other than that, I follow the same routines so far. In addition, there are a few supplementary routines I do, But, all that is extraneous information.

I now have an open mind. I wouldn't mind (trying) switching over to another program, and SS could well be my new home. But, I surely would like to know, if you can share that information, as to what additional benefits you enjoyed when you switched from SL5x5 to SS.

Edited for clarity: BTW, I do own the SS book and I do refer to it frequently. I depend on it to ensure that I am not deviating from the correct form. The book is a treasure trove, I get that. But, so far as following the routines are concerned, how much more of an impact (and in what way) can I expect to get by switching from SL5x5 to SS?
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    My personal experience made it essentially moot. By the time I found SS, I had already used SL for 4 months and had gotten past the initial period where the biggest benefit would likely have been made. IMHO, SS will get you where you want to be more efficiently. Not starting with an empty bar arbitrarily, and learning to generate explosive power from the floor are in my opinion the two most *functional* differences in the programs.

The SS book also showed me how I'd been missing a lot of form details by doing my lifts based on the much smaller amount of info provided by the SL resources, and I saw a big jump in all my lifts across the board once I switched and tweaked form.

I think that the 3x5 format is much more sustainable without modification, though I realize that is a small issue. I also think that the breakdown of 5x3 for PC is quite smart, though not really a direct comparison since SL doesn't have them.

I find PC's to be a vital inclusion to a starter program because it is so much more of a compound lift. It involves much more of the back, shoulder, and lower body, and also coaches explosive power, which is a vital component to any sort of heavy lifting after a certain point.

I do, however, completely agree with you that differences between these amount to splitting hairs as opposed to the difference between either one and NOT doing any sort of heavy lifting program.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There are only 5 main lifts. They are all big "compound" lifts which means they work multiple muscle groups in the same movement.

You workout 3 times a week, with a day of rest in between each, and you alternate between Workout A and Workout B:

Workout A
    Squat: 5 sets of 5 reps
    Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 rep
    Barbell Rows: 5 sets of 5 reps

Workout B:
    Shoulder Press: 5 sets of 5 reps
    Deadlift: 5 sets of 5 reps

Doing this, you will hit every muscle group in your body, 2-3 times a week. You start light (even with just the bar if you like), and add 5 lbs to each lift every time you complete a full 5 sets of 5 repetitions with safe/good form. If you can't complete it, no problem, just try again the next time you come around to it.

Simple, complete, great program. Also free, with a lot of good resources on the website.

The alternative is Starting Strength, which is the same thing for money. You can do either one, and you will get strong and fit.

You will find out when you start lifting that these are really the only exercises you need. They need to be the basis for your program/routine.

There is a mistake there, it's only 1 set of deadlifts (1 x 5)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There is a free app for stronglifts
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    There's one for SS, too, it's just not called "Starting Strength." It's called "Lift 3x5."
  • javacafe
    Options
    I was a user the SL5x5 app for iPhone. But, being an Android phone user, I used it on my iPad. Now, they have one in beta for Android.. But, I switched from that to an app from JEFIT.

SL5x5 is completely geared to itself, totally inflexible, and, even now, is iOS only. Who knows when the Android version will be out. Also, there is no way to export (or backup) its data.

JEFIT is cross-platform, eminently friendly to customization (add a workout, change sets/reps, create a new routine). For me, the biggest benefit is that it syncs with the cloud and so I can see it across my Android phone, my iPad, and on the jefit.com web site from any machine.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    OP, here's a link to a group of very smart women who have been doing these programs for a while - they all seem very helpful, although I've just been lurking and haven't participated as of yet. I just did my 11th session and am really happy with how things are going. I do recommend a trainer that knows a lot about these types of lifts if that's doable for you. If not, there are lots of good videos referenced in the group posts so you can be sure you're doing the moves in a way that will maximize your results and limit any chance of injury. Best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i dropped 60 lbs the first half of the year..and now am working on recomp
    i really need a more structured workout.. because what i have been doing for the past couple months, just isn't getting it done

ive been reading a little about SL5x5 and it seems like a good option..
    my gym membership just ran out a couple months back and i don't want to renew at that one... I may look into my other options in this area...

that said.... what equipment do i absolutely need at home to be able to do SL at home?
    i have a rather basic all in one home gym, a weight bench, a variety of dumb bells, and a bunch of misc odds and ends..
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    There are only 5 main lifts. They are all big "compound" lifts which means they work multiple muscle groups in the same movement.

You workout 3 times a week, with a day of rest in between each, and you alternate between Workout A and Workout B:

Workout A

Workout B:

Doing this, you will hit every muscle group in your body, 2-3 times a week. You start light (even with just the bar if you like), and add 5 lbs to each lift every time you complete a full 5 sets of 5 repetitions with safe/good form. If you can't complete it, no problem, just try again the next time you come around to it.

Simple, complete, great program. Also free, with a lot of good resources on the website.

The alternative is Starting Strength, which is the same thing for money. You can do either one, and you will get strong and fit.

You will find out when you start lifting that these are really the only exercises you need. They need to be the basis for your program/routine.

^ Correct! Also, Mehdi suggests that you increase your deadlift by 10 pounds each time.
  • javacafe
    Options
    i dropped 60 lbs the first half of the year..and now am working on recomp
    i really need a more structured workout.. because what i have been doing for the past couple months, just isn't getting it done

ive been reading a little about SL5x5 and it seems like a good option..
    my gym membership just ran out a couple months back and i don't want to renew at that one... I may look into my other options in this area...

that said.... what equipment do i absolutely need at home to be able to do SL at home?
    i have a rather basic all in one home gym, a weight bench, a variety of dumb bells, and a bunch of misc odds and ends..

I work out at home. (I have a pretty nice gym near my home. But, I am not the kind that likes to have to go some place to work out. Working out at home suits me just fine!) And have now been doing SL5x5 for several months now. My equipment includes the following:

- Valor squat stands
    - Standard barbell 7' long, 1" dia, polished chrome finish, knurled grip
    - Assortment of weigh plates (all with 1" dia holes)
    - Safety stands (these, in particular: http://amzn.to/15Hhtha )
    - A bench
    - Interlocking floor mats

These are all that are necessary for doing SL5x5. But, I also have A couple of barbell shafts, some ankle weights, and a "door gym," all of which I use for supplementary exercises.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Tagging so that I can find all of this awesome information easily again in the future -- thanks to everyone who contributed!
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. It's free, and you get what you pay for.

Picked up Starting Strength about a month into doing Stronglifts, and while the programs are close to the same, the amount of detail that Starting Strength goes into leaves Stronglifts in the dust. One of the best $30 I've ever spent (and the Kindle e-book edition is only $10, if that floats your boat).

Plus, Mehdi (the guy behind Stronglifts) is annoying as hell, but that's my personal opinion.

^^This^^ Mehdi is sooooo annoying with all his emails hahahahaha
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The alternative is Starting Strength, which is the same thing for money.
    The routines are the same
    The programs are the same

Dude, you keep saying that... Have you even read Starting Strength? I've done both SS and SL and I like them both, but they are most definitely NOT the same program. Please stop spreading misinformation.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Absolutely NEED to do the program safely?

Squat rack, flat bench, bar, and plates.

I got my power rack on amazon for $300 and if you keep an eye on Craigslist you can probably find a nice olympic weight set for pretty cheap also. $1/LB is sort of the standard price, so anything below that is winning.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I was a user the SL5x5 app for iPhone. But, being an Android phone user, I used it on my iPad. Now, they have one in beta for Android.. But, I switched from that to an app from JEFIT.

SL5x5 is completely geared to itself, totally inflexible, and, even now, is iOS only. Who knows when the Android version will be out. Also, there is no way to export (or backup) its data.

JEFIT is cross-platform, eminently friendly to customization (add a workout, change sets/reps, create a new routine). For me, the biggest benefit is that it syncs with the cloud and so I can see it across my Android phone, my iPad, and on the jefit.com web site from any machine.

Sounds a lot like Fitocracy, which is what I use.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The alternative is Starting Strength, which is the same thing for money.
    The routines are the same
    The programs are the same

Dude, you keep saying that... Have you even read Starting Strength? I've done both SS and SL and I like them both, but they are most definitely NOT the same program. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Actually I hadn't read the book itself, I had researched it on the Wiki users of the program set up for it. I did pick up the book yesterday and read it through... seems the same to me. What differences do you see?

SS is mostly 3x5, SL is 5x5 / SS has PCleans, SL has Rows

SS has some assistance work too.

Having read through the book though, it's crazy how much information he gives you about each of the movements. An awesome resource. You might want to pick it up for the details if you really want to geek out and learn more about the movements (which I would always encourage).

Workout A

Workout B:

^ Correct! Also, Mehdi suggests that you increase your deadlift by 10 pounds each time.

Bah, yes, my bad.