Recipes for Vegetable Soup

Options
Hi everyone

Happy new blender, so has anyone got any recipes for low calorie vegetable soups I can make to help over the cold winter months. All the on line ones seem high in calories.

Thanks

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually just cut up a bunch of stuff (cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions). I sautee the onion and carrots for a few minutes in some olive oil, then add the other veggies, chicken or vegetable broth, and a can of crushed tomatoes. Add salt/pepper/italian seasoning or whatever you want. Let it come to a boil then turn it down and let it simmer for an hour or so. Most of the time I add in a can of kidney beans and a can of cannelini beans towards the end. Delicious, filling, and low calorie!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup is easy, just don't use a lot of fat to sautee your vegetables. I just made a spicy kale/cabbage/veggie soup... but you can put whatever you want in it.

Dice an onion and mince some garlic. Spray a dutch oven, or soup pot with some Pam.... add onions and garlic and let them sweat.

Add sliced mushrooms, carrots, celery, whatever you want to add....

For extra fiber add some chopped red cabbage. For extra nutrients, add kale.

Basically add whatever you like... don't add what you don't like.

I can of diced tomatoes (I like lime and cilantro flavor)

I like to add about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar to get a bit of a sour taste... totally personal preference.

V-8 juice - I use a big bottle, and add water if I need more broth.

Red pepper flakes, or siracha, or whatever you favorite spice. (Also not necessary, but it kicks up the flavor).

Simmer until all the veggies are cooked through.

Enjoy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just take whatever veggies I happen to have in the fridge or pantry, peel, core, chop, or whatever is needed, and toss them in a pan with some water and seasonings. I always include at least one legume and usually some type of grain. Sometimes I use canned or frozen vegetables as well as fresh.

Mine is never the same, but always delicious.
  • pingwn33
    pingwn33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do a search for the Cabbage Soup Diet ...that soup is great and you can doctor it up...and follow the plan for a week or two if you want..just wouldn't recommend forever cuz eventually the weight will come back...but for a week or so it works great ..I am using it for my Veggie meal on my post Sleeve Meal plan...its yummers...
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually just cut up a bunch of stuff (cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions). I sautee the onion and carrots for a few minutes in some olive oil, then add the other veggies, chicken or vegetable broth, and a can of crushed tomatoes. Add salt/pepper/italian seasoning or whatever you want. Let it come to a boil then turn it down and let it simmer for an hour or so. Most of the time I add in a can of kidney beans and a can of cannelini beans towards the end. Delicious, filling, and low calorie!

what she said but instead of beans I add one tablespoon of uncooked basmati rice while its cooking to add a bit of bulk to the soup and nix the potatoes, I replace them with different varieties of squash ..super good and light
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/02/rustic-tomato-rice-kale-stew-comfort.html Very goood!

My Changes:
    I only cooked half a cup of dry brown rice,
    1 cup low sodium chicken broth not 3, plus water
    added other veggies,
    pureed roasted red peppers with tomatos.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    my buddy and I are doing our stews and soups in a slow cooker crockpot it makes all the flavors melt together and it tastes every so yummy, thanks for the reciped always good to have more
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make a great white bean soup that tastes super decadent but is actually not too bad. Sautee an onion until soft and translucent, add in a clove or two of garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in a box of chicken or veggie broth (32 ounces maybe? can't remember off the top of my head) and two cans of drained and rinsed white beans. Simmer until the beans begins to burst, about 10-15 minutes. Puree the soup (I think its easiest with an immersion blender). And you are ready to go! Sometimes I add a splash of milk and some crispy pancetta to give it a little more heft for my perpetually slim husband, but its delicious without, too.

Another quick, easy and yummy soup involves sauteeing some turnips in with onions/leeks/garlic and then simmering in chicken or veggie broth. Add in the turnip greens for the last few minutes and you have a great meal! (This one comes from Alice Waters "The Art of Simple Food" which I highly recommend.

The latest Cooks Illustrated also has an amazing cauliflower soup that I loved but I can't remember the recipe off hand.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I make a really basic veggie soup that is somehow transcendentally delicious.

Start about 2qts vegetable stock simmering with 3 cups water and 2T minced garlic. Chop up a large, strong onion, four or five sturdy potatoes (like russets), three good-sized carrots, and two stalks of celery. Toss these into the stock along with a can or two of stewed tomatoes. Simmer (covered) until everything is tender. Right at the end toss in a can of drained garbanzo or kidney beans and three handsful of baby spinach. Eat until you explode from joy.
  • Canman51
    Options
    Here's my take on a veg soup with a bit of protein. I make it in large batches and freeze in double zip lock bags. Makes 10-12 large portions of 480 cal each. One serving is a meal on its own.

500 g of good stewing beef diced
    1 large bunch of celery diced
    4 whole fresh tomatoes diced
    2 large sweet potatoes dice
    4 large onions sliced
    6-8 cups of fresh long beans diced
    2 Kg of carrots diced
    1.5 liters of chicken stock
    2 450g cans of diced tomatoes
    1 200g can of tomato paste
    1 can of campbells minestrone soup
    1 450g can of chilli beans not drained
    1 450g can of butter beans drained
    1 450g can of pinto beans drained
    1 green pepper diced
    1 red pepper diced
    Garlic, chilli, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper to taste
    top up with additional stock or water to the desired consistency

You will need a very large stock pot
    Brown the meat with the onions add the garlic towards the end of the browning
    Add the stock and carrots
    Cook at a very slow simmer for 20 minutes
    Add the rest of the ingredients
    Slow simmer until the carrots are just starting to get soft

This recipe make about 10 large servings
    I then bag it in serving size zip lock bags and freeze