Learning to know when I am full!

clahut
clahut Posts: 211 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

This has probably been said a million times on here before, but the biggest change I have made in the past few weeks is eating more slowly and stopping when I feel full.

As a child, there was a degree of pressure put on me to clear my plate, as I am sure a lot of other people had. Unfortunately, this has kept going into adult life where I have felt the need to eat everything in front of me (or I might not get any pudding!). But over the last few weeks I have made a conscious effort not to finish anything if I am starting to feel full. This seems to work well, especially if I drink a large glass of water at the same time.

I am only a few weeks into this so I don't know how well it will work in the long run. But, I have just put away half a packet of crisps in my drawer after lunch as I just don't *need* to finish them.

C

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    if you are worried about clearing your plate than you need to make your plate smaller.. Portion size is so so so important.. And believe me I understand about the eating fast.. I am the youngest of six children. Whoever ate the fastest got seconds, so we would put it DOWN! I still eat really fast (and sloppy:blushing: ).. But I always portion my food and drink water with my meals.. This helps me feel fuller and helps me slow it down a lil. By the time you get to the end of your plate, you will know whether or not your still hungry. If you are still hungry, drink a small glass of milk.. That will fill you up and milk is so good for you, but it's usually something we tend to cut from our diets to "save cals"..

Good luck in your journey. I understand where you are coming from, but it can be done.. love and light. xo

p.s. there is a difference between feeling absolutely stuffed and feeling satisfied.. It sounds like you start feeling full and you quit. Make sure you are satisfied, but not stuffed.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    This is what I've been doing to along with exercising and eating 'better' foods. I read a book alled "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. It basically states that you can eat whatever you fancy, as long as you are truly hungry when you eat it, you eat slowly, conciously, and savour every mouthful, and that you stop when you are full.

I've lost over 50lbs since Xmas and I can say that I actually enjoy eating now, rather than obsess about it.

I've actually just come back from a 2-week all-inclusive holiday and still managed to lose 2lbs!
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    This is what I've been doing to along with exercising and eating 'better' foods. I read a book alled "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. It basically states that you can eat whatever you fancy, as long as you are truly hungry when you eat it, you eat slowly, conciously, and savour every mouthful, and that you stop when you are full.

I've lost over 50lbs since Xmas and I can say that I actually enjoy eating now, rather than obsess about it.

I've actually just come back from a 2-week all-inclusive holiday and still managed to lose 2lbs!

This is the same thing I've been doing. I've done the diets with the packaged foods and they all worked.. for a while. Then I would start to crave something bad for me and off I'd go. I thought about my childhood when I stayed slim and the things I did then. I ate til I was full, as the youngest, food was never wasted! My brother or sister would clean my plate. I would play outside so now I play inside. I eat all the things I love except fried foods and even those I do breaded and baked. Still delicious! I use smaller plates, about the size of a salad plate or large desert plate and I fill it with the food I love. If I walk away hungry, I know I'll survive. There's always the next meal.

I try to imagine my body as a machine that needs X amount of food to power it for the next few hours.. So far I've lost over 37 pounds and I feel great. This is the most weight I've ever lost and never have I stuck to an eating plan this long. It's actually become habit and I find I no longer crave horrible sweets.

My birthday is next week and everyone who loves me is cooking for me but they all know they have to cook smart or I'll hurt their feelings by not eating their food. You have to think of you, not the you now but the you you want to be in 6 or 9 or 12 months. Eyes on the prize.

Good luck!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member

My birthday is next week and everyone who loves me is cooking for me but they all know they have to cook smart or I'll hurt their feelings by not eating their food. You have to think of you, not the you now but the you you want to be in 6 or 9 or 12 months. Eyes on the prize.

I have to say that is awesome. That shows two things. That you have awesome friends and family that support you and respect your new lifestyle and that you believe in what you're doing enough to tell them, that its not them, its that you have changed you and don't want to go back. I love the you have to think of you philosophy, its so true. No one else is going to think of you, they are too busy worrying about them. Thanks for that.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    You are very welcome..I do have fantastic friends and they all cooked wonderful things that we could all enjoy and that I could eat and savor without worrying whether I'd "break the bank" calorie wise. It helps that one of those friends has been on her own weight loss journey for a little over 2 years now and in that time has lost over 200 lbs, all without surgery or pils or diet aids of any kind. She just realized if she wanted to keep living, she was going to have to take control. So she did. She is my inspiration when I feel the urge to snarf a truffle or a doughnut.
This discussion has been closed.