I need to stop!!

Options
I have dieted before, and been successful with them before. But I'm at a point in my life right now that I can't seem to stop eating more and more, and the worst part of it is that while I'm doing it I don't even care. In the past I have been able to tell myself that I was doing what I needed to do, measure portion sizes, eat a certain amount of calories a day and ignore any hunger that I felt.

The amount of food that I eat has increased to a ridiculous level. I am not happy unless my stomach is stretched to the point of discomfort. I am not happy unless there is lots of food in front of me. I am almost obsessed with it.

I don't even know where to begin. I need to stop this, but half of me doesn't want to.

Replies

• LozzaCozza93
    Options
    Get exercising instead! Keep yourself busy and plan your food so you can't snack. Don't take anymore cash out with than you need you so you won't be tempted to buy extra snacks through the day.

I used to be the same as you, maybe you're not happy in other aspects of your life and you're comfort eating? Look after yourself, hope you're okay x
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I have dieted before, and been successful with them before. But I'm at a point in my life right now that I can't seem to stop eating more and more, and the worst part of it is that while I'm doing it I don't even care. In the past I have been able to tell myself that I was doing what I needed to do, measure portion sizes, eat a certain amount of calories a day and ignore any hunger that I felt.

The amount of food that I eat has increased to a ridiculous level. I am not happy unless my stomach is stretched to the point of discomfort. I am not happy unless there is lots of food in front of me. I am almost obsessed with it.

I don't even know where to begin. I need to stop this, but half of me doesn't want to.

When you truly want to stop, you will stop. (nobody can do it for you)
    You don't know where to begin? Just start doing something about it. (nobody can do that for you either)
    Set reasonable goals.
    Be consistent.
    Have patience.
  • Marinaadelaide
    Options
    I feel your pain, am in the same boat when it comes to sugar, just cannot stop eating it. The more I think about stopping the crazier I get.
    I am on day 5 of The South Beach Diet now and I feel horrible! Most people say it is only uncomfortable for a couple of days, but that has not been the case for me. I feel very tired and crave sugar so badly. I almost said forget it, but I have suffered too long to give up now when I am close to making it. I can't wait for the 2 week mark for 1 piece of bread!
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks of south beach is hard, at least it was for me. But I do remember feeling wonderful at the end of it. :) Stick with it, you can do it!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At least you recognize that you need to stop! Maybe try making small changes first.... keep your mouth busy by drinking tons of tea, eat healthier options when you snack, keep yourself busy so you can't eat mindlessly (don't sit in front of the TV) and exercise. Suck on hard candies. Go for a long walk with an iPod.
  • illarionova
    illarionova Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I've been letting myself go for the past month.

I think it's just lost of self-control. I'm getting back on track. I think I may try adding something, rather than focusing on limiting food. I'm gonna focus on staying busier, whether that's putting in time at work or in the gym.
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You've dieted successfully before, so you absolutely have it in you to diet successfully again. Maybe try watching a few food documentaries (Food Matters, Supersize Me) to remind yourself of the importance of healthy eating. Up your exercise levels too so that you have a more positive outlook in general and that should lead you to making positive choices generally. But please try not to be too hard on yourself - we all have phases where we feel less in control than we'd like to be - nothing worthwhile comes easily. Good luck to you! :-)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    WHY do you want to lose weight or eat less? Focus on your reason and get the focus away from the food. Make yourself drink a glass of water before every meal and snack, exercise, get moving, do something to get your thoughts focused on anything but eating. You can do it, but no one can motivate you except yourself.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, am in the same boat when it comes to sugar, just cannot stop eating it. The more I think about stopping the crazier I get.
    I am on day 5 of The South Beach Diet now and I feel horrible! Most people say it is only uncomfortable for a couple of days, but that has not been the case for me. I feel very tired and crave sugar so badly. I almost said forget it, but I have suffered too long to give up now when I am close to making it. I can't wait for the 2 week mark for 1 piece of bread!

Not to knock you down for your efforts, but fad diets just don't work because they're not sustainable. I've basically had some kind of sandwich every day for lunch and have lost over 20 pounds in 3 months. So go ahead and have your piece of bread now. The more you restrict the more likely you are to end up binging on what you were restricting. You can bascially eat anything you want, and still lose weight, just have it in moderation.