2»

Replies

• mdpkelley
    Options
    for me its an obsession.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my foods on this site for about 10 months and find that part is just habit now, it only takes little time each day. Just discovered the forums here a few days ago though and almost feel obsessed with it oddly. Must change that!
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is using the word "Obsession" a little roo lightly in this thread...

if you are checking your stats and your MFP multiple times a day, and checking things and making sure to get your work out in, and weighing your food and checking all the calories on EVERYTHING and planning your meals and prepping things ahead of time and buying work out clothes.... guess what... youre NOT obsessed lol.. youre AWAKE NOW. youre finally looking at yourself and realizing your body and your health are IMPORTANT...

if you agonize over a hobby.. why shouldnt you put that much attention and effort into the most important thing in yourlife.. YOUR BODY. lol

"Obsession" is letting something take over your entire life... if you'd rather work out than have sex with your husband... youre obsessed. If you cant sleep at night because youre worrying about the calories you will consume and track tomorrow... you are obsessed.

Dont be hard on yourself because youre FINALLY looking out for your body and being careful about how you treat it... its the only body and the only life you have... ADORE IT! Be patient with it! Dedicate time to it... just remember to love ALL aspects of it.. youre friends, family, other hobbies. Healthy isnt just about exercise and caloric intake...
  • dramagirl1
    Options
    "Get obsessed and stay obsessed!" That's the only way I can do it.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I was like that the first 2 weeks with my fitbit. I still check it about 3 times a day now, make sure it syncs, see how my friends are doing...

More of a motivation, but obsession? not so much.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Very true!!
  • The_Gent_65
    Options
    Not an incredibly horrible obsession/hobby to have. Once the new wears off you will get back to normal
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Fitness Pal can become an addictive time suck, just like Facebook. Especially if you sit and read posts in the forums. If you're worried about the time you spend online, maybe start by eliminating some of time spent just reading forum posts. Stick with logging calories and exercise only. That takes very little time to do. See if freeing up some of that time gives you more time in your day for the things you feel your missing out on. :o)
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For me, it's become an unhealthy obsession. I check my fitbit and MFP all day long and I obsess about every morsel that goes into my body, along with every calorie that I burn. I know I need to get a grip and obsess less, but it's hard, Especially with the success that I've had since joining MFP.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have recently taken a psychology class in college and we talked about obsessive compulsive disorder and obsessions/compulsions. If constantly checking on health stuff and it is interfering with your life. Like you get anxious about not checking or have to constantly check and have no self control then yes it is an obsession.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For me, it's become an unhealthy obsession. I check my fitbit and MFP all day long and I obsess about every morsel that goes into my body, along with every calorie that I burn. I know I need to get a grip and obsess less, but it's hard, Especially with the success that I've had since joining MFP.

Perhaps you need to sit back and have a talk with yourself... sounds like you dont trust yourself to maintain your new healthy lifestyle on your own... youve worked SO HARD... maybe now its time tio test the waters and see if you can maintain without all the electronic help...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Definitely obsession. But a good one.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's definitely my obsessin now . Think hubby is going to put parent controls on my iPad to limit my use he he !!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it's natural to be a little obsessive when you first start any new endeavor. You're excited, you want to learn more and you want to do your best. That doesn't make it a bad thing.

Personally, I believe with the other poster that said it's only an unhealthy obsession if you're letting it affect other aspects of your life. For example - avoiding social situations because you won't know how to log the food or you're worried about overeating.

I've got a little bit of an unhealthy obsession with the message boards but not so much with the rest of it. :)
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No one ever because extremely knowledgeable in a subject without it being a hobby in which they obsessively show interest.
This discussion has been closed.