Dr. Jason Fung on Why Diets Fail in the long run

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

This explains how the body reacts by slowing down to adjust for less calorie intake, that is why people who are using this approach complain about being cold, There is not study yet that supports a calorie deficient diet works in the long run,

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just read your Topic...I think MOST people here know diets do NOT work. That is why 'we' talk so much about Lifestyle Change. If YOU have been dieting, read the article and Change your Lifestyle.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change calories in calories out in the long run does not work cuz the body does not work that way, the body is not about scales calories in calories out, it is a thermostat, you reduce the calories the body reacts, it slows the whole process down so to inhibit weight loss, that is why people come on this forum complaining they are cold, the body stops producing as much heat moreso he produces a number of studies with the control group and the particpants and follow them for several years.

What does work is intermittent fasting it doesn't cause the body to change its rate.
    Worthwhile educational video in six parts my buddy and I have watched all six.
    This guy knows his stuff.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

There is not study yet that supports a calorie deficient diet works in the long run,

So, poor English aside... you are saying that eating at a caloric deficit will not cause me to lose weight? What am I gonna do now?

37875878.jpg
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see what a study shows, particularly about the efficacy of the 5:2 lifestyle change? Does the fact you radically change your calorie intake on 2 days compared to the other 5 stop your metabolism from slowing down?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change calories in calories out in the long run does not work cuz the body does not work that way, the body is not about scales calories in calories out, it is a thermostat, you reduce the calories the body reacts, it slows the whole process down so to inhibit weight loss, that is why people come on this forum complaining they are cold, the body stops producing as much heat moreso he produces a number of studies with the control group and the particpants and follow them for several years.

What does work is intermittent fasting it doesn't cause the body to change its rate.
    Worthwhile educational video in six parts my buddy and I have watched all six.
    This guy knows his stuff.
    sorry to burst your bubble but 5:2 fasting is a Calorie deficit diet. The defect may be spread differenty than other deficit methods but it's still one.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This all semantic games. High carb, low carb, 5:2, calorie counting, IIFYM....these are ALL diets.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This all semantic games. High carb, low carb, 5:2, calorie counting, IIFYM....these are ALL diets.
    yeah, but they don't work... right? ;)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I knew if you looked hard you and buddy could find another one!
  • Lichent
    Options
    hey we believe in knowing the truth, if eating every day at a caloric deficiit means the body adjusts and turns down the thermostat to keep weight from dropping then we eat at another 500 caloric deficit and the body turns down the heat to conserve energy again, it is a cycle that one can't win. If we ate at 3800 calories and drop to 3000 then the body adusts so we now eat at 2200 and the body adjusts now we are down to 1500 and the body adjust and then at 1000 calories then 800 calories the moment we start eating again let us say from 800 to 1000 that is when we will start to put on wieght so that is how caloric deficit fail.

Now going into eating well 5 times a week with two fast days the body doesn't respond. So one weight gets lost two it makes it easy to keep weight off.

Dr. Jason Fun on the Diets Adkins high fat diets better than the heart foundations diet.
    TRIAL BY DIET
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnshVO4PRM
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've increased my calorie intake regularly and have maintained steady weight loss. Apparently I defy science.

Or, you know, I regularly adjust the intensity of my workouts, occasionally refeed, and always check up on my math. Small adjustments in how my body responds to diet and exercise aren't any excuse to give up and say it doesn't work. I just have to make adjustments to keep going.
  • Lol. Diets fail because people decide to eat whatever they want after
    They get to a certain weight. The body does adjust on a calorie deficit but
    Not as dramatic as some people and "doctors" try to emphasize.
    Calories in<calories out obviously works because I've lost over 100 pounds without
    Stupid fasting. Get that "one size" fits and the rest don't outta here.
    The only thing that works is a deficit no matter how You do it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    hey we believe in knowing the truth, if eating every day at a caloric deficiit means the body adjusts and turns down the thermostat to keep weight from dropping then we eat at another 500 caloric deficit and the body turns down the heat to conserve energy again, it is a cycle that one can't win.

The body can only "turn down" a small part of the way. The entire premise is completely flawed.
  • Lichent
    Options
    that is what fung says it can only go down so far before the body hunger hormones kick in and drive people back to eating again. He has a number of studies many long term over several years that support the theory.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    that is what fung says it can only go down so far before the body hunger hormones kick in and drive people back to eating again. He has a number of studies many long term over several years that support the theory.

No, that's not what I'm saying. If you decrease your eating to a 500 calorie deficit, for a long period of time, your body will eventualy reduce its burn rate by 50 calories, and you retain a 450 calorie deficit, and keep losing weight, for as long as you want to.

There is no "cycle of failure" here.

And it's even better than that if you use exercise to create the caloric deficit.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    And here I thought the reason I was cold was because I lost 150 pounds of insulation...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What complete and utter total rot.

Thousands, tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of people on MFP have lost significant quantities of weight using a caloric deficit. There are people that have lost 300+ pounds using a caloric deficit. At what point does it stop working? Because if it takes more than 300 pounds lost before it stops working, it's pretty safe to say that it works for everyone within an acceptable margin of error.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at a deficit, losing weight, and feeling great.

My body is an always warm calorie burning furnace.

Thank goodness my body doesn't seem to follow this "science" you're spewing.

Freaks of nature, for the win!
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I completely defy the laws of this "science"...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just another quack casting doubt over a simple and free way to lose weight.

After all, it's hard to profit from caloric deficits.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    As I keep saying, in every one of 'these' threads.... I think someone has 'come to Jesus' in the nutritional / diet world... and is relying on Google a bit too much for info. And then, as new 'converts' like to do... he / she is trying to get more conversions to all these new revelations. Unfortunately, someone is fishing in the wrong pond.