Strong Curves Substitutions

Options
I'm starting the Strong Curves Beginners program Monday. I work out at home, so I will need to make substitutions where I am lacking in equipment. I have dumbbells, a rack, bar, bench and plenty of plates.

These are the substitutions I need to make and what I'm thinking about doing instead (if I know). Opinions, thoughts and ideas appreciated. (I am looking at weeks 1-4 only for right now. I know I'll. need more subs later, but maybe I'll just resurrect the thread, I don't want too much going on at once.)

(Given exercise = Proposed variation)

Front lat pull down = dumbbell pullover
45 degree back extension = Superman, upper body only
Seated row = one arm dumbbell row (which would double that exercise since it's done in one of the workouts already) or bent over row
X band walk = ?
Rope horizontal chop = dumbbell chop

Thanks.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Front lat pull down = dumbbell pullover
    That's sort of close. A closer option would be chin-ups, or, if you can't do those, negative chin-ups, which you can do at a playground:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JQKpMIzsU
    45 degree back extension = Superman, upper body only
    The short answer: Replace both with Romanian Deadlifts
    The long-winded answer: Neither exercise simulates how we tend to use our backside in the real world - as part of a total-body movement, usually while standing, and without extending the lumbar spine beyond neutral. The Romanian Deadlift is more functional (useful) than both. And since it works more muscles, it burns more calories.
    Romanian Deadlifts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYZjHErxMqQ
    Seated row = one arm dumbbell row (which would double that exercise since it's done in one of the workouts already) or bent over row
    The bent-over row, with 2 dumbbells or a barbell. Again, it more closely simulates how we use our body outside the gym (standing and unsupported), which is something beginners should prioritize.
    If the bent-over row causes your low back to hurt too much, stand up momentarily every few reps.
    X band walk = ?
    Most people don't need that one, unless they're in physical therapy. Like most isolation exercises, it only works a few muscles, so it's not a very efficient use of time. The Side Lunge works the same muscles plus a whole lot more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCz6XNWe8k4
    Don't do too many the first time or you won't be able to walk the next day. :-)
    Rope horizontal chop = dumbbell chop
    The problem with that is your shoulders will get tired first from holding the dumbbell up (it's supposed to be a core exercise). You can overcome that somewhat by doing it with a quick pace.. just be careful not to hurt your back
    Do you have an Olympic (long) barbell? If so, do the Barbell Twist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTN7vaz6MnY
    Great exercise!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I won't be able to do any chin ups, no equipment, and can't get to a playground urging my workout time. I'm also already doing deadlifts in one of the workouts. So, any other ideas? Would the Superman be ok there? I'll look at the barbell twist, I do have an Oly bar.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The bent-over rows and deadlifts work your backside much more than the supermans, so it's kind of pointless to do the supermans. I would skip them.

I do modified chin-ups on a wall that has a small ledge for my hands to grab. If you can't do chin-ups, just substitute them for bent-over rows. Chin-ups are not essential for beginners in my opinion, because pulling downward is not a common movement for most people - they tend to pull towards them. So rows are a more important movement to train.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider myself a beginner, really, I've been lifting for almost 2 years, but I can't do chin ups! Again, thanks.
  • RalphthePutz
    RalphthePutz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you have any bands? either w/ handles or w/o? If you do you can use them for the chop. Also they would work on the x band walk - I really feel the x band walk at the end of the w/o like Bret has them scheduled in the w/o. Also, a suspension trainer is great for inverted rows or you can have the barbell on your rack and hang from it, pull your chest up to it and that's your substitution for the seated rows. Check out inverted rows on youtube and you will see lots of examples. Instead of a chop you could also do a twist w/ a broomstick or light barbell on your shoulders. I'm working out at home and am in Weeks 1 - 4 too! I've made a few mods but am really really liking how my glutes feel during and after the w/o.
  • RalphthePutz
    RalphthePutz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    does your bench have a preacher curl attachment - I've managed to work out a frankenstein 45degree back extension using my bench, rack and preacher curl attachment.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Good Mornings or Straight-Leg Deadlifts instead of Back Extensions. Or if you're trying to target the glutes, Glute Bridges, or Hip Thrusts.

You could get one of those chin-up bars that fit into a door frame and do negative chin-ups to replace the Lat Pulldowns. You can probably find one pretty cheap if you hunted around. If you do Pullovers, do them with a barbell. With a dumbbell, Pullovers hit the pecs more than the lats.

I've never done an X-walk. Side-Lying Leg Lifts, or Side-Lying Clamshells look similar.
  • worldlymaret
    worldlymaret Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread, so I'm giving it a little bump (because I'm lazy and this way I'll be able to find it) - I'm currently in the first four weeks of Strong Curves from Home and these subs are great!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Do you have a giant exercise ball? I use the ball to do the extension exercises, just making sure my feet are against the wall for stability. It gives a little more range instead of the superman movement and allows you to use weights too
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Do you have a book? It addresses this issue of substitutions. It also explains how he wrote the program.

Essentially: glute dominant move supersetting with pull. Quad dominant with push. Hamstring dominant. Outer quad. Straight abs, twisting abs.

Supermans can't replace back extensions because back extensions are quad dominant and supermans are not.

The back half of the book is a huge glossary of exercises organized by movement type. So, for example, you could flip to the hamstring dominant section & find an exercise you have the equipment & ability for.

If you have a home gym I would suggest you get a pullups bar that goes in a doorway. They're not that expensive & are very versatile.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym would give you a number of options for substitutions. I just did inverted rows, which can be a substitute for lat pulldowns, and which you can do under a sturdy table.

I'm doing Strong Curves, too, and do a lot of substitutions if I'm traveling and have no gym access.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Thanks! I won't be able to do any chin ups, no equipment, and can't get to a playground urging my workout time. I'm also already doing deadlifts in one of the workouts. So, any other ideas? Would the Superman be ok there? I'll look at the barbell twist, I do have an Oly bar.

Again, inverted rows under a sturdy table. It's like an easier pull-up.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    Do you have a book? It addresses this issue of substitutions. It also explains how he wrote the program.

Essentially: glute dominant move supersetting with pull. Quad dominant with push. Hamstring dominant. Outer quad. Straight abs, twisting abs.

Supermans can't replace back extensions because back extensions are quad dominant and supermans are not.

The back half of the book is a huge glossary of exercises organized by movement type. So, for example, you could flip to the hamstring dominant section & find an exercise you have the equipment & ability for.

If you have a home gym I would suggest you get a pullups bar that goes in a doorway. They're not that expensive & are very versatile.

Yeah with that glossary I substitute a ton. It's been very helpful since I wanted something a little more intense than the beginnings program, but not quite the advanced one.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »

Outer glute*, not outer quad. Sorry, I mistyped.