healthy snacks for a 1st grade classroom

Options
2»

Replies

• farniente8
    farniente8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Pineapple, strawberries, blue berries- nature's candy. My daughter love it. Those cuties (small oranges) are always a big hit with soccer teams and classrooms alike. Technically not homemade!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog www.100daysofrealfood.com She has 2 young school-aged daughters that she packs whole food lunch/snacks for every day & she posts pictures & recipes of everything. She has some good pumpkin muffins that you can make ahead & freeze. I had to bring in a treat for my son's bday last year & made homemade carrot cake mini muffins, which the kids gobbled up. I'm planning to do it again this year. Some of my son's favorites are: Triscuit or Ak-Mak crackers & cheese; fresh veggies & homemade dip; Cascadian Farms organic granola bars (nut-free); Annie's Organic Cheddar Bunny Crackers; nut-free trail mix (I make my own w/ dried banana slices, sweetened coconut chips, craisins, raisins, dried mango pieces, sunflower seeds (these are fine for nut-free).
    i wanna see the trash bins.

also please dont effing send stevia baked into anything to my kids school unless you want an angry mexican momma knocking on your front door. i consider that less healthy than regular sugar and that would piss me off to epic proportions.

for the record i would rather rely on anything packaged and sold in stores for humn consumption than whatever experiments the hippies...loadies....or 89 yr old gramdmas next door cooked up, dreamed up, or botched up on their stove...on their blog...or on their last high.

Okay, doughnuts and Oreos.
    throw im some yoo hoos and you have yourself a deal.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How about food they can play with? Spread some low fat cream cheese spread on a whole wheat tortilla. Bring an assortment of cut up veggies for them to make faces out of. Then they can roll up and eat!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We pop up big batches of popcorn with coconut oil and salt on the stove. My son loves them. We bag them in sandwich baggies and keep it in the cupboard instead of chips. I cannot imagine that the class would not love some home-popped popcorn.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog www.100daysofrealfood.com She has 2 young school-aged daughters that she packs whole food lunch/snacks for every day & she posts pictures & recipes of everything. She has some good pumpkin muffins that you can make ahead & freeze. I had to bring in a treat for my son's bday last year & made homemade carrot cake mini muffins, which the kids gobbled up. I'm planning to do it again this year. Some of my son's favorites are: Triscuit or Ak-Mak crackers & cheese; fresh veggies & homemade dip; Cascadian Farms organic granola bars (nut-free); Annie's Organic Cheddar Bunny Crackers; nut-free trail mix (I make my own w/ dried banana slices, sweetened coconut chips, craisins, raisins, dried mango pieces, sunflower seeds (these are fine for nut-free).

also please dont effing send stevia baked into anything to my kids school unless you want an angry mexican momma knocking on your front door. i consider that less healthy than regular sugar and that would piss me off to epic proportions.

for the record i would rather rely on anything packaged and sold in stores for humn consumption than whatever experiments the hippies...loadies....or 89 yr old gramdmas next door cooked up, dreamed up, or botched up on their stove...on their blog...or on their last high.

Done!

And . . . I'm loving how people are going with low fat food with kids. Okay, by "love" I mean "loathe." but meh.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Done!

And . . . I'm loving how people are going with low fat food with kids. Okay, by "love" I mean "loathe." but meh.
    inorite...its like th worst case of "i got on a diet so now my BF/husbnd/household/in-laws have to too." only this is the most far reaching and boundary-less one i have seen.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Done!

inorite...its like th worst case of "i got on a diet so now my BF/husbnd/household/in-laws have to too." only this is the most far reaching and boundary-less one i have seen.

Yes. Yes indeed.

This is almost as bad as the "I'd like to lose 5 pounds a week while pregnant" threads.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My school doesn't allow homemade treats to be distributed to the whole class. If parents want to send something for everyone to share, it has to be store-bought with a label.
    I think that is pretty retarded, considering that they are allowed to send notes home about a child being over-weight. But when it comes to supporting parents to contribute "healthy" snacks, they make impossible to do by insisting on items like cookies, chips, etc...

As far as the allergy thing, if there is a child with peanut allergies you can sub in soy butter or something like that.

My husband is an exterminator and is in and out of other people's homes every day. If you were aware of the cleanliness issues that some people have, expecially in their kitchens, you might not want your child to eat things that were prepared by strangers.

I am much more comfortable with my child eating store bought sugar-laden 3-inch-high-frosted cupcakes than I am with eating a homemade "healthy" muffin from an unknown cook's kitchen.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    My school doesn't allow homemade treats to be distributed to the whole class. If parents want to send something for everyone to share, it has to be store-bought with a label.
    I think that is pretty retarded, considering that they are allowed to send notes home about a child being over-weight. But when it comes to supporting parents to contribute "healthy" snacks, they make impossible to do by insisting on items like cookies, chips, etc...

As far as the allergy thing, if there is a child with peanut allergies you can sub in soy butter or something like that.

My husband is an exterminator and is in and out of other people's homes every day. If you were aware of the cleanliness issues that some people have, expecially in their kitchens, you might not want your child to eat things that were prepared by strangers.

I am much more comfortable with my child eating store bought sugar-laden 3-inch-high-frosted cupcakes than I am with eating a homemade "healthy" muffin from an unknown cook's kitchen.
    thank you and goodnight.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    I'm quite amazed that a school would be asking parents to bring food for all... At my daughter's primary school it was absolutely strictly no-food-sharing. These days the seems to be a good chance that 1 in 100 kids have anaphylaxis and have been taught so well about avoiding peanuts that they think they'll die when they see any nurs from afar. Every child care centre was always 'nut and egg free' (try making a birthday cake without eggs).

Has anyone yet proposed zucchini tots? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/694263-zucchini-tots-so-good?hl=Zucchini+tots ... My kids all love them, and they are for once not sweet and do contain some vegetables. But they also have eggs in them.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

My daughter isn't at school yet but she goes to the local kindergarten & they aren't allowed to have packaged things!? Some places have bizarre rules. A lot of schools here don't allow cakes for birthdays, lollies or anything bad. 1 lady I work with even had her kid (very skinny normal boy) bring a packet something from his lunch because the teacher didn't approve!!!!!

You just have to do your research & make sure that the kids aren't allergic/intolerant etc. etc. It's a tough gig being a kid these days!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Traffic Signs: Celery sticks with processed cheese in the middle (I use laughing cow as pb is a no no) with a piece of red, yellow and green pepper on each to resemble a stop light. That is courtesy of my kindergartener.

Also Fruit kebobs - kids love anything on a stick.