Anti-Fungal Diet

Options
I've recently been encouraged by my trainer/nutritionist to try the anti-fungal diet. I'm a little skeptical and I know it would be a lot of work for me to stay on track for the full 2 weeks so I need to know it will be worth it to do it. She says its main purpose is basically to detoxify the body/liver and kill off sugar/bacteria by eating a very strict, clean diet for at least 2 weeks.

Anyone done it? Advice? Opinions? General comments?

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    She doesn't know what she is talking about.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

^^This
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it??
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Why does she think your body isn't detoxifying itself? Our bodies are literally cleaning themselves out 24/7 - there's no such thing as a "cleansing" diet in that sense. My guess is she's not qualified enough to know a fad from real health information - so keep this in consideration when she recommends anything. And I wouldn't do the diet if I were you, but that's just my opinion.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kill sugar? smh.

If you kill off bacteria, you're killing off the good bacteria as well! Good bacteria can fight fungal infections. For instance, some broad spectrum antibiotics kill off enough good bacteria (along w/the bad) to make many women more prone to vaginal yeast infections.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^^This

+1
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

^^This

+1
    x 8 milliion
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    But I like my mushrooms.
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds kinda like the candida diet, but I'd only want to try that if I was having recurring yeast infections. Funny, this is how my weight loss started- I had a yeast infection, and tried the candida diet to try and stave off the yeast, and dropped 5 pounds very quickly, but I was pretty much starving myself because there was hardly any food in my house at the time that fit the strict guidelines. I don't recommend it.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It's called the Candida Diet ... A lot of new age/hippie/alternative types do/recommend it ... I personally believe some alternative medicine therapies have some validity ... I'm not so sure about this, however ... Some people swear by it, say they feel worlds better ... may just be a placebo effect though ... Who knows? Only way to know, is to actually try it for yourself ...

ETA: It's baaed on the premise, that the balance of yeast and bacteria in the body is out of whack, and that there is a systemic overgrowth of yeast ... conventional medicine says this is all mumbo jumbo ...

I'm neither for or against it ... Just sharing what I know ... i.e. Don't shoot the messenger :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    fungi is the plural of fungus and is pronounced as what a fun guy.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a rampant case of thrush, candida or chlamydia, there is no reason to eat a very restrictive anti- fungal diet. What is it supposed to do, if you don't have a fungus in the first place ? Destroy all good bacteria with the bad ( if there is any bad to begin with ) and make the likelyhood of getting a yeast infection so much bigger ?
    We need all kinds of different foods to maintain a healthy flora & fauna in our bodies and only if our system is so out of balance that the F & F cannot do their work should we diminish the intake of those foods that usually help ( usually sugar, all flours, many grains, certain fruit etc ). But under normal circumstances there is no reason to detoxify your body , because it's not " toxic " to begin with .
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've recently been encouraged by my trainer/nutritionist to try the anti-fungal diet. I'm a little skeptical and I know it would be a lot of work for me to stay on track for the full 2 weeks so I need to know it will be worth it to do it. She says its main purpose is basically to detoxify the body/liver and kill off sugar/bacteria by eating a very strict, clean diet for at least 2 weeks.

Your trainer/nutritionist is a genuine idiot who knows literally nothing whatsoever about nutrition. Her recommendation is based on absolutely nothing whatsoever that's even remotely reasonable or based in reality or fact. It's absolute and complete nonsense, fullstop.

You should never take any advice this person gives you.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Your trainer/nutritionist is a genuine idiot who knows literally nothing whatsoever about nutrition. Her recommendation is based on absolutely nothing whatsoever that's even remotely reasonable or based in reality or fact. It's absolute and complete nonsense, fullstop.

You should never take any advice this person gives you.

Seriously. If you paid this person to give you this advice, you should call the cops and report a robbery.
  • Canman51
    Options
    There are 10 times more microbial cells (bacteria & yeast cells) in and on your body then there are human cells. The microbial cells are much smaller then the human cells but still account for about 5 pounds of the average humans weight.

They are there for a reason, don't screw with them.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer/nutritionist.

/thread
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    She's talking about the anti candida diet. I think it's a good idea, mostly eating vegetables, meat, and probiotics. You will feel terrible the first 3-5 days because that is the time yeast is dying off. If you have really difficult to overcome sweet cravings then the anti cadida diet is very beneficial. I am an acupuncturist having taken 3-4 weekend courses in Nutrition, and using it in practice and on myself I would give it a try. :)
  • moonfruity
    Options
    To everyone that thinks yeast is beneficial should visit http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/fungus-and-cancer.html#sthash.x6ojVYVb.dpbs
    Yeast is very prevalent in most if not all cancer patients. Scary!!
  • moonfruity
    Options
    and your qualifications are?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    and your qualifications are?

I'm not trying to use my "qualifications" to tell people how this diet kills off yeast in the body and scare them into thinking there's some association between yeast and cancer.