Are there any GOOD muscle supplements at walmart?

Options
Hey im looking to build some muscle not just look big . I know they have creatine at walmart but ive tooken it before it only ads water to your muscle areas so they look big but it doesnt make you stronger .. Any good supplements at walmart ?

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nope, the good ones are at Target, everyone knows that.

Seriously though. That's what Creatine does, it stimulates the muscle to draw water and other nutrients into the tissue. Getting stronger is achieved by hard work in the gym, lifting heavy stuff and putting it back down. Getting big is achieved by doing the same thing in addition to eating a caloric surplus.

Last I checked muscle milk is sold there as well as body fortress products.

Is there a reason you're married to Walmart for all of your supplementation needs?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for? I mean really, it's not like walmart sells gear!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The protein supplements are good in a pinch for the money. I would buy your creatine somewhere else if you are going to use it. Just get creatine monohydrate without all the added crap that some of those companies put in it.

As for creatine not making you stronger....

You might want to watch this video.
    http://youtu.be/3pRu6-osK3Y
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    cheap cuts of meat in bulk... best protein source ever.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's a good point, walmart does sell the big econo bags of chicken breasts. That plus eggs and maybe some lean beef and stuff and you're good to go.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking if you're looking for supplements you can't go to a department store and expect quality. All the reputable brands known for producing a quality product you can only get from specialty stores. That being said supplements in general are not as important for muscle building and being active as the industry would have you believe. A proper diet composed of healthy foods, using only a multivitamin and fish oil to supplement, should be all you need.

TL:DR - Regardless of what you've heard, supplements are not required to reach your goals. But if you're gonna do it, you can't cheap out and buy the stuff from walmart.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Buy your supplements from an online store. Specialty stores overcharge a ton!!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hey im looking to build some muscle not just look big . I know they have creatine at walmart but ive tooken it before it only ads water to your muscle areas so they look big but it doesnt make you stronger .. Any good supplements at walmart ?

You have not done enough research to buy any supplements, what you will get from people here our their opinions. Do some research and figure out what is best for you.

Someone said no creatine from Wal-mart ... because it is mixed??... this is wrong!!!, read the ingredients they sell 100% creatine monohydrate.

To clear something up for you, take only 5 grams of creatine a day. There are no such things as creatine loading that is just to make you go through the product faster.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You have not done enough research to buy any supplements, what you will get from people here our their opinions. Do some research and figure out what is best for you.

Someone said no creatine from Wal-mart ... because it is mixed??... this is wrong!!!, read the ingredients they sell 100% creatine monohydrate.

To clear something up for you, take only 5 grams of creatine a day. There are no such things as creatine loading that is just to make you go through the product faster.

What I said was: "Just get creatine monohydrate without all the added crap that some of those companies put in it. "

But I do agree withthe advice on doing some research before taking any supplements.
  • robot_steve
    Options
    WalMart protein powder is not bad, I use BodyFortress because its relatively cheap. If you want creatine (and you should), then I would just buy it off Amazon, I get the one in the orange plastic jar, its $20 and a jar lasts me about 6 months or more. Creatine does a lot more than just 'add water' (which is a supposed effect and not entirely proven), and its cheap enough that it can't hurt to give it a try; a lot of people do not notice the effects of creatine until after they stop taking it.
    Beyond those two, I dont think there is much worth buying.
  • robot_steve
    Options
    Also, a problem with some cheap creatine sources is that it is loaded with maltodextrin/dextrose/other carbs. Personally, I can tolerate the small amount of added corn starch in my WalMart protein powder, but I am not gonna tolerate that in my creatine.
  • esornoso
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest going to Wal-Mart to buy supplements as it's a bad place to buy other things. I would go with an online store. GNC, bodybuilding.com and my new favorite find: JackedPack.com

I found a couple of gems in their clearance section: http://www.jackedpack.com/collections/super-sale
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

What I said was: "Just get creatine monohydrate without all the added crap that some of those companies put in it. "

But I do agree withthe advice on doing some research before taking any supplements.

Sorry I miss read that ;)
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't know from personal experience.

I think the burden is on you to research what a "good" supplement contains and what it would really do for you. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting into and understand why it would be beneficial. Don't get something just because some bro at the gym uses it. Then see if they have anything matching your criteria at Wal-Mart or wherever you end up buying it.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on anything but multi's, protein, fish oil, caffeine.

You don't necessarily need to spend money on protein powders/bars/drinks if its not an inconvenience to you to have enough protein through whole food throughout the day, but for most people it's about convenience

You aren't going to gain a lot of muscle from taking supplements, like others who posted above me suggested, you may find what you are looking for on the shelves in the pharmacy at Walmart, but it ain't located in the supplement section