Fellow geeks for support?

Options

Replies

• pixie_pix
    pixie_pix Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Total geek here too :bigsmile: Anyone can feel free to add me! My fave thing to do is to make workout games for my fave movies and shows.. like this
    tumblr_m1kscg4PJ01r45m07o1_500.jpg

Pure Genius!!!!! love it!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if I qualify as a geek or not. I'm probably more of a nerd, but I hate semantic arguments so I don't really care if I'm either of those or neither by other people's sometimes fairly arbitrary definitions.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Total geek here too :bigsmile: Anyone can feel free to add me! My fave thing to do is to make workout games for my fave movies and shows.. like this

As a Brit...

WHY WHY WHY have they censored the word "hell" but left in the word "bloody"?? :laugh: (the word bloody, in this context, is way way way way way worse than the word hell)

good game though!
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    <= WoW player ^_^
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the Zombies, Run! App is lots of fun if you like to add a little geeky twist to a normal walk/run

Are you sick of the story though? I'm ready for something different.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Is the zombie run app suitable for beginners? Was just gonna do the plain old boring couch to 5 k but figure zombie run would have me fighting fit for the apocalypse!

You don't have to run a certain speed to play zombies! run. If you enable zombie horde chases there are points where you have to run faster to avoid getting caught (although they don't kill you, you drop some supplies and they become distracted) There is actually an additional Zombies! Run 5k training app that says it is for beginners for 1.99 in the android market. Not sure if it is the same for iphone and I can't speak for that one since I haven't downloaded it. But the zombies run without hoarde chases can be completed at any pace.
  • osubeam
    osubeam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love all the suggestions for Zombies, Run! That is on my "to-do" list! If you're all about reading, you can cycle while you do that or as someone else suggested, set a timer to go be active for a little while during a sedentary activity. I dance a lot while I clean my house to burn more calories and tone my obliques!
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm not "normal".
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The storyline has become a little tiresome for me in Zombies! Run, but as I said, I am a sucker for achievements so I continue to play it while I run. And when I do enable the zombie chases, it does help motivate me to pick up the pace.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add. :)

I'm a Fantasty novel reading, video game playing, Star Trek watching geek of all trades. I don't have any good geeky related suggestions for getting a good work out...

Well that's not true. Walking around museums (I live in the Chicagoland area) so we have a ton of museums (museum of science and industry anyone?), planetarium is always fun, obviously con's of all sorts give lots of opportunity for lots of walking. A few months ago we went to the The Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory to watch them finish moving the largest electromagnet to it's final destination. They have extensive grounds and bike paths (it's a nature preserve) and allow for people to come in and hike and bike on top of the partical accelerator.

I think you just gotta thing outside the box and incorporate the things you love with excercise. :)

Plus, I also log in everyday, log constantly and do very ungeeky yoga extensively.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    YAY! I'll friend all the geeks, nerds, etc. I am a bit of both and love it all.

Status: I work IT for the CG and current instruct it, I read science books on my free time but also fictional works, grew up with orginal and Star Trek TNG, currently play Diablo III (yea.. I know.. don't hate) but I've had plenty of history with D2, WoW, and a few other offline RPGs, I love Anime and (obviously) Cos-play. I built my own CPU though I do use a cheap laptop as well.. but.. it was free :) I also have managed a free tablet, a paid for ASUS Transformer, and I am another Android user. I just D/Led Zombies! Run. Sounds fun!

Anyways, add me if you would like. I am a pretty regular logger though I don't always get a chance to respond to the home page. I will try too though. I also have a Fitbit and totally geek out with the numbers and what they mean, I compare fitbit with my HRM (when don't misplace pieces of it), and other apps. I spend WAY to much time thinking about it all sometimes.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a data scientist / professor of health informatics. I'm a a band geek turned songwriter. Die hard Doctor Who, TNG, and Dune fan and devoted Mensa member. Add me!

Oh, and I've found that turning exercise into a game is the most helpful thing for me. Accumulation of points, running from zombies, going from race to race, you name it, I do better with it than I do with just plodding along.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Total geek here! I think I was destined to be geeky since my dad used to read me The Hobbit as a bed time story. I am currently helping my children create a Star Trek and Dr. Who addiction :)
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I guess carrying a Polar HRM (which talks to Virgin Healthmiles) AND a Garmin GPS on runs qualifies as being geeky.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Another geek reporting in for anyone to add. When I'm not banging my head against C#, JAVA, or PHP dev fun I'm trying to get back in and stay in shape.

Also +1 for Zombies, Run! Love that damn app. I'm the real runner 5 btw, everyone else is just an impostor so suck it.
  • _amluvstld_
    Options

This thread is made of awesomeness!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Add meeeee. DDR is my cardio of choice!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I suppose we can be friends.

Just never say anything bad about Firefly, Garth Ennis or Tauren hunters.

And never say anything good about D'nD 3.5 or Chuck Lorre. Then we're good
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I'm a data scientist / professor of health informatics. I'm a a band geek turned songwriter. Die hard Doctor Who, TNG, and Dune fan and devoted Mensa member. Add me!

Oh, and I've found that turning exercise into a game is the most helpful thing for me. Accumulation of points, running from zombies, going from race to race, you name it, I do better with it than I do with just plodding along.

This is the first time I've seen a fellow MFPer mention Dune.

Internet high 5 for you
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek! Now make a Will Save as I try to Fascinate you. :bigsmile: