Puerto Rican Food

Options
Headed there later in the week for four days. last minute invited from a friend. I've never been and am really unfamiliar with what foods will be available. I'm a bit if a picky eater, do not like spicy but LOVE rice, which I have been able to successfully avoid this past month with a good outcome.

Can you educate me about some of the food, what to expect and suggest some good choices?

Will there be a large variety of options? But would like to try the local cuisine no matter what.

Mucho gracias!!!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Fried plantains!

Oh and pernil. So good!
  • Bluetoast
    Options
    I so know about fried plantains!! so yummy and so dangerous. And I don't like beans. :-(

What is per nil?
  • Alluminati
    Options
    It's roast pork shoulder (picnic) that's been marinated in Orange juice and other stuff. It's roasted to where the fat and skin is crispy and melts in your mouth.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Sorry you hate beans :laugh: make sure you check out the rice and chorizo. I live in a state with a sizable Latin community :happy:
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not Puerto Rican but I speak fluent Spanish and was there for three weeks and I currently live in the New York area, which has a large Puerto Rican/NuYorican population.

I love their food. They have something called Mofongo, which is green plantain fried and then smashed with your choice of meat, and then formed into a ball shape and then served with a garlic or tomato sauce. They also have Tostones, which is also green plantain, but sliced thin and fried twice, similar to a chip but a bit thicker. Of course there is rice and beans. Someone already mentioned Pernil, which is delicious. They do great fruit drinks called Batidas, also made with milk added.

You will probably gain a little, because they fry alot of their foods and use alot of Pork, but walking and touring should offset the high calories.

Hopefully some Puerto Rican users will see this and give you more advice and typical dishes of their island. Enjoy your trip :drinker: