Tummy, tummy go away!

Options
Hi, MFP friends! I've been having a heck of a time getting this tummy of mine to flatten up. I'm not "fat" in any other area of my body. I know diet has a lot to do with it so being mindful of what I'm eating is a given... In terms of getting a flat tummy do I need to just keep losing weight?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hi, MFP friends! I've been having a heck of a time getting this tummy of mine to flatten up. I'm not "fat" in any other area of my body. I know diet has a lot to do with it so being mindful of what I'm eating is a given... In terms of getting a flat tummy do I need to just keep losing weight?

Basically, yes. Everybody has this same problem as the midsection is generally the last to go. Lower body fat until it goes away.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It will hopefully go away eventually.....Unless it's loose skin & then it may always be there. I'm thinking I'm going to have to have an operation to get my tummy back to normal.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    unless you're skinny but just stick your tummy out - in which case crunchies are probably the order of the day. :)
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You may have to do exercises for the area along with dieting. For some people they can just loose weight, but for people like me that is not enough.
  • mackkcam87
    Options
    It will hopefully go away eventually.....Unless it's loose skin & then it may always be there. I'm thinking I'm going to have to have an operation to get my tummy back to normal.

Thanks. How would I determine whether or not it's loose skin or just the remaining fat my body is still storing?
  • mackkcam87
    Options

Basically, yes. Everybody has this same problem as the midsection is generally the last to go. Lower body fat until it goes away.

Thank you!
  • mackkcam87
    Options
    unless you're skinny but just stick your tummy out - in which case crunchies are probably the order of the day. :)

How would I know if I was sticking my tummy out? How do I fix that? When I do ab workouts at the gym I feel really tight afterwards but it doesn't last too long. Should my goal be to get to a point where my tummy always feels that tight?
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    *bookmarked*
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    -.- 'area' exercises don't make the fat go away, by the way.... though, they help strengthen the muscle under the fat. But they don't magically make the fat disappear, diet does. (hate that word lol) Crunchies are not your best friends, squats are.. If you must. But, really eat clean, whole foods... and soon enough the adipose tissue with continue to go down. Flat tummies are made in the kitchen, they are shown in the gym. Lol. I know, it's stupid. And, Females hold onto abdominal fat because it's in our genes, we need the fluffiness to carry babies haha.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

How would I know if I was sticking my tummy out? How do I fix that? When I do ab workouts at the gym I feel really tight afterwards but it doesn't last too long. Should my goal be to get to a point where my tummy always feels that tight?

No, that was just general advice. I haven't seen your tummy and nobody else had mentioned exercise yet.

If you're doing ab workouts at the gym and dieting then you're doing everything you can and the rest is in the lap of the gods. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

If you're doing ab workouts at the gym and dieting then you're doing everything you can and the rest is in the lap of the gods. :)

Not really.... Ab exercises don't spot reduce. Abs come from an overall reduced BF%. You can do ab exercises all day long, but if you have fat in other areas of the body to use up, your body will take it from there first as the midsection is usually the last place the body looks for fat as energy. You're better off performing compound exercises. They have a better burn, and make your body overall stronger (including the core). You'll see many on this site with nice midsections that do very little to no ab isolation exercises as the core is worked through compound movements as part of a full body program.

Diet (reasonable caloric deficit) + Work (cardio AND compound strength training) + Patience = Goal.

You COULD reach your goal through Diet and Patience, but may not like your results as much as you would if you put the work in as well.