your experience with weightloss and IUD?

Options
I am going to the dr. next week about the IUD. I have heard that it causes weight gain, and since i am trying to lose weight, i don't want that! any women have it? thanks!

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD....love it and I didn't notice any difference in gaining or being able to lose weight. I'm losing about like I always have, depends on how much effort I put into it.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    I have the Paragard... It's hormone free so you can't blame hormones on weight gain... I have lost weight since having it... the only reason I gained is because I was eating like a crazy person.. I have a friend that has the Mirena and she is able to lose weight too when she is trying and again not eating like we're psycho.. it's defintely doable to lose wieight while having them. I just prefer no hormones as when I decide to get preggo I can take it out and there's no hormones that need to flush! Good luck!!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has had it for a few months and has not gained weight because of it...
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have Paraguard and didn't gain anything.

Question: Have you had children? If not, be prepared for some excrutiating pain that day and don't plan on exercising then and maybe the day after! Since the first week I have been fine otherwise (weight loss speaking, anyway.)

Edit: Just saw the baby in the picture. :):) Will leave my comment for someone else though!! GL!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I too have the Paragard & have lost weight with it. I will say that the 1st few days of each cycle I look like I'm 5 months pregnant, which is new since getting the IUD 5 years ago. But I don't gain weight during TOM, I just get that big, hard belly for a few days...which maybe is normal for me but I just didn't know it because being on the pill had it under control for so many years?
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD right now. I haven't noticed any weight gain because of it. I gained because I wasn't eating right and no working out.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I have the Paragaurd and LOVE IT!

I didn't gain anything when I got it (about 5 years ago), but it was a good month before I could exercise with the same enthusiasm. It was a bit painful for a while for me.

EDIT: I was just reading more throughly through the posts and was alerted that you probably had a baby. I'm guessing the pain will be much less extreme than it was for me. :-)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena, and have lost all of my weight while on it! There is very little hormone fluctuation with the IUD, I simply love mine!
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    thanks ladies!!! I dont really know the difference between the mirena and the paragaurd, but i see that neither has really caused anyone to gain, which is what i was worried about!

thanks agian to all of you that took the time to respond!

Jessica
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I was on the Depo shot and it caused me to gain over 100lbs. I now have the Mirena and have not gained any on it....matter of fact it has been fairly easy to lose weight since I started eating better.

I love mine too! I second the pain of getting mine since I have not had any children though.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    My doctor explained it to me like this (I think!);

The pill contains hormones that mimic pregnancy. The hormones can increase appetite, which can lead to extra food being consumed, whih can lead to weight gain. The pill itself does not make you put on weight.

The Mirena IUD (which I had and I plan on getting another soon) doesn't release hormones into the bloodstream, just in the womb. There will be only a minimal trace of hormones from the IUD in your bloodstream, therefore it won't lead to the side-effects associated with the pill.

I had one up until August of last year. It was fab. Really light periods bordering on non-existent, no cramps, no mood-swings. I'd recommend one any day!