Losing weight, weights+cardio?

Options
Hey guys, I never really posted on mfp, but I would like some advice. My starting weight was 252 lbs, I am now 197-199lbs and my ultimate goal is to get down to 160-170 with a nice amount of muscle mass.

I used to lift weights, but now since about a month ago when I got my gym pass, I just do cardio only because the weights are always so packed. Most of the time I hop on the elliptical (65 mins) and some days I would do 30-40 min elliptical and run on the treadmill for about 15-20 mins. I do full body strength training once a week because I still love doing weights. I go mostly everyday, 7 times a week, but since it's mid-term season I've been really stressed so I've went about 10 times this past week and yeah pretty bad for my body, but the gym is my medicine for stress relieving. :(

Anyway, my question is.. would it be better to do cardio only? swap cardio/weight lifting days? or 30 min of both a day?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Purely for weight loss, diet is the key thing, so do whatever exercise you enjoy and will consistently be motivated to do, to help you maintain a calorie deficit (which is mostly achieved through diet.) Strength training will help you to maintain lean mass as you lose weight, so that most of the weight you lose is from fat. It's easier to hold onto the muscle mass you have now than lose it through weight loss and have to rebuild once you've finished cutting fat. Making sure that you calorie deficit isn't too extreme will also help. So, if you are doing hours and hours of cardio, make sure you're also eating enough to support that activity.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Just echoing JesterMFP's great comment here, and adding a little bit of my own experience--

Like Jester suggested, it's best to think in terms of using your diet to control your fat loss, and then exercise to improve your overall fitness and performance.

I think it's wise to add some sort of resistance training, whether that's lifting free weights, training with kettlebells, or doing a body weight strength building program--so many benefits to that! If you find the free weights section is always too crowded at the time you can get to the gym, consider a body weight program. You can do that anywhere, even at home. Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym is great, and has an app for your phone that I hear is rather handy.

I've lost all my weight with minimal cardio and lots of strength training (because that's what I like to do at the gym), and I think it's made a huge difference in my body composition, as well as my attitude towards my body and fitness in general.