support/motivation needed

Options
about three weeks ago i had a epiphany, i had chest pains and call 911 thought i was having a heart attack, got to the hospital and i weighed 430 but told me i didnt have a heart attack but i have high BP and sleep apnea, they put me on BP meds, one pill is a diuretic and the other is prinivil, i am religious and believe when its my time its my time but i would like to see more of this world, i have 3 neices and 2 nephews but no kids, id like to have a kid, on the positive side ive been watching my sodium staying under 2000 sometimes even under 1500, drinkin lots of water and OJ, i know oj has alot of sugar, ive been keeping my calories under 2200 sometimes even under 2000, i work in a warehouse lifting crap,i bought a exercise bike and i do 30 mins everyday, but it says i only burn 300 calories, i tried walking but the heat has been unbearable and its humid here, anyways its been 3 weeks and i only lost about 10 pounds, i know things dont happen overnight but seems like a slow progress. any tips suggestions advice support motivation im willing to listen

Replies

• sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    about three weeks ago i had a epiphany, i had chest pains and call 911 thought i was having a heart attack, got to the hospital and i weighed 430 but told me i didnt have a heart attack but i have high BP and sleep apnea, they put me on BP meds, one pill is a diuretic and the other is prinivil, i am religious and believe when its my time its my time but i would like to see more of this world, i have 3 neices and 2 nephews but no kids, id like to have a kid, on the positive side ive been watching my sodium staying under 2000 sometimes even under 1500, drinkin lots of water and OJ, i know oj has alot of sugar, ive been keeping my calories under 2200 sometimes even under 2000, i work in a warehouse lifting crap,i bought a exercise bike and i do 30 mins everyday, but it says i only burn 300 calories, i tried walking but the heat has been unbearable and its humid here, anyways its been 3 weeks and i only lost about 10 pounds, i know things dont happen overnight but seems like a slow progress. any tips suggestions advice support motivation im willing to listen

Great start! 10 pounds in 3 weeks is awesome! And 30 minutes per day is the perfect amount of exercise to start.....you might want to slowly increase it if you are able to but sounds like you're doing all the right things. Decreasing the OJ might be a good idea.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    10 pounds is great!!! you are losing more then 3 a week so you are ahead of the game. don't rush this take it each day as it comes!!! slow and steady wins the race! keep up the good work. soon 10 will be 20 then 30 and so on! You can do this! you deserve to do this! You will be a great father one day! Get in the game and lose weight!!!!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    also add some friends to your page. great support that way!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Great job on the ten pounds. It sounds like you got one heck of a wake up call. Good luck to you and wish you all the best!
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree, 10 lbs in 3 weeks is a very good start !! If.. you continue to watch your calories and keep up the exercise then you WILL reach your goal. It doesn't happen overnight but it will happen. Increase your exercise when you feel you can. Most important find an exercise that you enjoy doing and then you will keep doing it. As you lose the weight new things will be open for you to try. Give it time and for what you have already done, GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating less than 2000 calories per day nad eating small meals. Every 2-3 hours is good to keep your metabolism working. 300 calories burned in 30 minutes of an exercise bike is great! Keep it up, believe in yourself, and remember that this is a lifestyle change. It isn't going to happen overnight. Add me if you want. Support here is amazing!!!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    I too had a similar experience. Very very low potassium, hiatal hernia and sleep apnea. I hope you are on a CPAP machine. It saves lives! That will actually help you lose weight along with diet and exercise. I am devout and I truly believe that God wants you here and well. So continue this healing and consider it a mission of life-a good quality life for you and all those that you will bless with your presense! Dilute the OJ with water to cut the sugar carbs. Think positive! Good going so far and you are worth it :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating less than 2000 calories per day nad eating small meals. Every 2-3 hours is good to keep your metabolism working. 300 calories burned in 30 minutes of an exercise bike is great! Keep it up, believe in yourself, and remember that this is a lifestyle change. It isn't going to happen overnight. Add me if you want. Support here is amazing!!!

I think it's hard to recommend cutting calories without knowing all the details of someone.... follow your doctor's advice on calorie intake and/or what MFP calculates for you.
  • ashlee954
    Options
    I think it's hard to recommend cutting calories without knowing all the details of someone.... follow your doctor's advice on calorie intake and/or what MFP calculates for you.

The recommended calorie intake for anyone according to the FDA is 1800-2200. That is to maintain weight. If you are trying to lose weight you would definitely need to adjust to lower than that.
  • jamie1888
    Options

The recommended calorie intake for anyone according to the FDA is 1800-2200. That is to maintain weight. If you are trying to lose weight you would definitely need to adjust to lower than that.

Please don't feel like I was attacking your response.. I just should have elaborated!

The recommended calorie intake by the FDA doesn't apply to everyone. You have to factor in age, weight, etc. And for someone who may have been eating several thousands of calories daily, cutting calories to under 2000 should be done gradually.
  • ashlee954
    Options
    Agreed :)
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Using the calculator on the Men's Nutrition Guide (nutrition.about.com)

Example:
    1) weight = 430
    2) how much do you want to weigh = 250
    * I'm just putting in a guess here
    3) how tall are you? = 68"
    * another guess
    4) age = 26

results:

You need 4455.9 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 3154.2 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 3955.9 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 3455.6 calories per day

** NOTE:
    I'm not saying to follow these guidelines at all.... I'm just showing that it varies for everyone & different situations!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Agreed :)

Excellent! :wink:
  • alucardace
    Options
    im 26, 6 even and 420 now, thank you everyone for your kind words
  • olivia39
    olivia39 Posts: 14
    Options
    Great job on losing 10 lbs! you should give yourself more credit for it. I'm here to support you! Keep up the good work!