When

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    since humans could make up adjectives it meant the guy wasnt very good at hunting and had a skinny wife and children. Also it has cultural connotation the "fat and rich" countries view it as more positive then countries that are "starving and poor."

We're a pretty long way removed from that explanation.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If someone legit called me skinny, I think I'd probably die of happiness.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    since humans could make up adjectives it meant the guy wasnt very good at hunting and had a skinny wife and children. Also it has cultural connotation the "fat and rich" countries view it as more positive then countries that are "starving and poor."
    But our Western cultural ideal is very thin while overweight or fat are seen as unattractive.

This kind of thing changes and is mostly based on what makes you look rich. In the past, being very pale and overweight meant you were rich and had servants and didn't have to be outside or do manual labor. Now being very thin (or even muscular, as the ideal is changing) means you have time to spend working out and have the means to eat very healthy foods.

People don't think about telling someone she (or sometimes he) is skinny because skinny is seen as desirable and even if it's teasing, it isn't viewed the same way as calling someone fat.

Of course, you see differences across cultures, too, even within the same country.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Did the word "skinny" become an insult?

WTF happened to the world that caused people to "insult" others by telling them that they are at a healthy weight? Or are all these posters just being hyper-sensitive?

Oh. Good morning, MFP. Or good afternoon, or good evening, whatever the case may be.

Talk amongst yourselves. I'm out for a beach run.

With me, I don't think it would be an apt description, but it doesn't make me cringy at all. Really all I care about is that people give the donker the respect it deserves, say what you want about my waist, but respect the donk.
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    For some it's their go to word instead of fit, in shape or athletic.

Maybe their vocabulary isn't very vast.....
  • rml_16
    Options

What does "fit" mean, though?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Skinny would be an insult to me because it would only ever apply in a facetious fashion...but that's not what you're talking about.

I think people in general need to sack up and build some damn self confidence. You're happy with your body? Great. Don't cut other people down to make yourself feel superior. You're unhappy with your body? Fine, work on it. Don't cut other people down to make yourself feel less terrible.

And if someone is insulting you, remember that they suck at life and are probably terrible in bed.
    *takes notes*
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

What does "fit" mean, though?

square-peg-round-hole.jpg
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Since the 1930s, judging by these adverts:
    xlg_skinny_girls_zps3d0024c7.jpg

More here:
    http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/08/25/i-put-on-ten-pounds-three-ounces/
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just think skinny is offensive when people say it to me because at 218 I'm still obese.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

The iPhones back then had HORRIBLE reception, and Cosmo was...well still is...a joke.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Would they prefer to be called svelte?
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Waiting for someone to slap me and call me a skinny Biitch
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    First world problems.
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    I like it rough with compliments too!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

In. But I charge extra for that.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    What I've noticed is that skinny is used in the wrong context. People call me skinny but I'm not, I'm fit. Taylor Swift's *kitten* is skinny.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What I've noticed is that skinny is used in the wrong context. People call me skinny but I'm not, I'm fit. Taylor Swift's *kitten* is skinny.
    I'm also fit, but you won't see a ton of muscle definition.

Again, what does "fit" mean?
  • TheBackStory
    Options

The definition of fit is different for everyone. For me, it's being toned, not jiggling when I run, and eating healthy just to name a few...
  • rml_16
    Options

The definition of fit is different for everyone. For me, it's being toned, not jiggling when I run, and eating healthy just to name a few...
    OK. So you're saying anyone who doesn't describe your appearance as "fit" lacks vocabulary. But their definition might be different from yours.

Skinny is a pretty easy catch-all. It mostly means "not fat."