Its not getting easier?

I am stuck when its comes to lifting weights. I havent been able to up my weights in a while, because it just seems so damn hard!

How long should I stay on a certain weight?
Could these puny amounts just be my limit?

=(

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Why is it hard to up the amount you're lifting? I'm not sure how you're trying to go up but you shouldn't be doing a dramatic increase like say going from lifting 15lbs to 30.

When I lift every set I grab a heavier weight. I start out light for a warm up but every set I increase so for example yesterday when I was doing triceps on the cable I started at 4 for my warm up then for the first set I did 7, then 8, then 9. On 9 I could only get out a few reps - maybe 4 - so I dropped it down to 6 and finished out the set of 10 that I was doing. Next time I'll try and get more reps at 9 and when I hit 10 I'll start at 8 and then do 8, 9 10 etc. I do this with all the exercises I do. It's a gradual increase in weight and I don't expect to bang out all 10 at once but after a couple of weeks I will.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I am stuck when its comes to lifting weights. I havent been able to up my weights in a while, because it just seems so damn hard!

How long should I stay on a certain weight?
    Could these puny amounts just be my limit?

=(

How many sets/reps are you doing currently?

And how much are you eating? How big is your deficit?
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member

How many sets/reps are you doing currently?

And how much are you eating? How big is your deficit?

Also, which routine are you doing?

What exercises in particular are you talking about?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    What is your program and actual frequency?
    What assist do you do?
    Sets and reps?
    Deficit?
    Goals?
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Focus on quality over quantity and slowly progress.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Focus on quality over quantity and slowly progress.

^^^This is by far the best advice.
    I've been in gyms over 30 years, and seen many thinking grabbing heavy weights and using body momentum or trying to hit their reps in a set as quick as possible is going to make them stronger or bigger.

Work slower with correct form will do more for you in the long run.

I deload when I'm at a plateau of gains. I concentrate on my form for a workouts with a lighter weight and gradually will break through.
  • When I'm specifically working on upping a lift, I switch from 3x12s over to 12/10/8, moving up by 10 lbs for each set. Once I can do those higher weight 8s steadily I do a couple more days of 3x12s then move back over to 12/10/8s. Great advice upthread about form- especially squats, if you're trying to move up weights make sure you're still going deep and not cheating yourself.