creatinine levels

Options
Hi ,I am not sure this is right forum .Here is my question can intense running up your creatinine levels? I recently started intermittent intense running on treadmill and a recent blood test showed elevated creatinine level . i have started weight training last week and have to get another blood test today .I worked with weights last night and someone told me to wait a week before getting this blood test again as levels could be elevated due to work out.

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    No sure, but I can tell you many protein supplements have creatine in them, so, if you're supplementing protein that would be a likely source.
  • robot_steve
    Options
    Yes, intense exercise can definitely increase those levels in your blood, as can creatine supplementation. When you exercise, your muscles are being damaged, and they leak some of their contents out into the bloodstream. Some of this includes creatinine. So it is normal to see raised levels of these a day or two after exercising.

Keep in mind that creatine and creatinine are two different things; the latter is the breakdown product of the former.

I am a little rusty on my creatine details but I think that exercise may also expedite the breakdown of creatine in one way or another further causing an increase of creatinine waste product in the bloodstream. Don't quote me on that one, though.