Eating exercise calories?

Options
Do I really need to eat what I burn exercising? If I am allowed 1200 calories per day and then I exercise off 150 calories, do I really need to eat the extra to still lose? I am a little new to this, coming off years of Weight Watchers off an on.

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    The idea is to eat them, some do and some don't I eat maybe 40% of them. The deficit to lose weight is built into your daily allowance.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, it depends on how you calculated your daily calorie goal. But honestly, if you're only eating 1200 cals, you should be eating them back regardless. 1200 is really low for most people.

See these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

• joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories preferable. My dad biochemist. If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

WTF - why are you posting this in every thread?????????:grumble:
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories preferable. My dad biochemist. If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

WTF - why are you posting this in every thread?????????:grumble:
    Turns out its a fact.
    Enjoy life my man
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

Ignore this guy. He keeps posting this on various threads giving bad information. If you are using the MFP NEAT method, you should be eating back your calories since a deficit is already built into the numbers provided. This is to ensure that your deficit does not grow too large, making it difficult to get all of the nutrition you need and to keep you healthy and burning fat rather than lean body tissue. The two links posted are good references.
  • scottaworley
    Options
  • lanniebananie
    lanniebananie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around half. If you're hungry, I think as long it's healthy food and not something like "Well, I burned x amount of calories today so I can have a donut", you'll be fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yea, you already said that. It meant nothing the first time, it means nothing this time. Why not support your points, rather than just posting the same thing over and over?
  • scottaworley
    Options

Yea, you already said that. It meant nothing the first time, it means nothing this time. Why not support your points, rather than just posting the same thing over and over?

north america fat. why think you have answers. croatia skinny
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    north america fat. why think you have answers. croatia skinny

Not getting drunk all the time because you are in jail and can't get drinks is very different than choosing not to get drunk because you know there are health risks.

While you can indeed maintain on a suppressed metabolism by undereating and some research shows a benefit to longer life with slower metabolism, good luck getting to healthy weight with a suppressed metabolism without the risks of muscle mass loss and not getting enough nutrition.
  • carlb123
    carlb123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    HRM's are not entirely accurate in calculating "burned" calories so it's a HUGE guess in most cases, but not all. It would be considerably simpler and less stressful for you to find your TDEE or BMR and not worry about eating back "burned" calories. Not to mention, your body's metabolism is considerably increased for hours after you exercise and HRM's don't account for that either, so why bother? Life is stressful, remove stress where you can. ;)