What am I doing wrong

tracypaprocki
tracypaprocki Posts: 49
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
I am eating the proper amount of calories. The base is 1200 then I add whatever I burn while exercising. I exercise 5-7 days per week for 1/2 to 1 hour. The scale moved 1 pound since 3/09/08. I have only lost 1.5 inches on waist, 1 in on hips, nothing on arms and 1.5 on thighs. I should be noticing a difference but I am not. Except for the fact I am way crabbier. I need some pointers on what I could be doing wrong.

Replies

• I am eating the proper amount of calories. The base is 1200 then I add whatever I burn while exercising. I exercise 5-7 days per week for 1/2 to 1 hour. The scale moved 1 pound since 3/09/08. I have only lost 1.5 inches on waist, 1 in on hips, nothing on arms and 1.5 on thighs. I should be noticing a difference but I am not. Except for the fact I am way crabbier. I need some pointers on what I could be doing wrong.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    ONLY? I would KILL for 1.5 inches in a month and a half!

Tracy, you aren't obese (I'm assuming since your total goal was only 23 lbs), so weight loss is not going to be fast. IMHO maybe think a little longer term then this. You have 17 lbs to lose, a realistic expectation to lose that would probably be some where around 6 to 9 months assuming no serious setbacks. Remember, we aren't looking to lose weight, we are looking to become healthy (weight loss is just a general side effect of most people's journey to better health), sometimes health and weight loss don't co-mingle. You can maintain weight for months while losing inches and fat if you are near a healthy weight to start with. That doesn't mean you aren't becomming healthier, trimmer, and more fit!

I blame the media! (course I always blame the media...:tongue: )

Best luck to you.

-Banks
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    I am right there with you. My intake is 1200 calories, and then whatever I exercise is added. I am not having much luck either.
  • atirnnap
    atirnnap Posts: 6 Member
    Another thing to look at, is whether your exercise is aerobic or strength training. If you are doing more strength training than aerobics, you won't see much weight loss because you're exchanging fat for muscle, which explains your loss in inches. Personally, I'm focusing on aerobics (fast walking) and no strength training until I get closer to my goal, then I'll add some strength/resistance training. So far, I lost 18 pounds and down from a size 16 to a 12!!!!
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    You are burning fat and building muscle which weighs more. You are losing inches right now and that is GREAT!! Our goal is not always to "lose weight" but to lose inches!! Your body will soon start shedding pounds. You are starting to build a strong foundation for weight loss. Keep at it!!

Have a great day!!
    ~Mindy
  • i mostly do aerobic. with weight training 2 times weekly. My staring weight reflects where I was starting this program. My initial weight was 195. I don't care as much about the pounds as I do as to my clothes fitting better. I have doing the calorie count and exercise for 1.5 years and have not really budged since the end of last summer. It's just discouraging when the shorts still fit the same. I almost just said screw it and eat some ice cream (I didn't, just a momont of frustration). Thanks for your insight
  • atirnnap
    atirnnap Posts: 6 Member
    A tip I heard at Weight Watchers...when you hit a plateau in your weight loss, increase your calorie consumption for 1-2 weeks, then go back to the plan.
This discussion has been closed.