What to look for in a Personal Trainer...?

Options
I need a little help. I had a difficult time trying find straight answers online and with the search function on this site.

When looking for a personal trainer:
1. Should they hold a degree? In what?
2. What type of certification is necessary/required/preferred/etc?
3. What is a realistic cost? The trainer I met yesterday was fantastic, but I can't afford $67 a session.

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I believe they should be ACE certified. How long is your session for $67? If it's an hour that sounds reasonable. Though, I have never worked with a trainer, but I have a close friend who is a trainer and I believe she charges around that maybe more.
  • ArmyWife1121
    Options
    You should always have a personal trainer that is certified to be one. I do have a personal trainer, my biggest thing that I looked for when I found one was that he/she had been through the weight loss themselves and they were not just one of the lucky ones who are naturally fit. If they hold a degree it should be in nutrition, or something fitness related. I got a great deal from my gym as a new member and paid 400.00 for 12 sessions... It may seem like a lot up front but in all reality I really feel like you get what you pay for.

While looking online here are some things that I found that may give you more answers.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/forprofessionals/a/choosetrainer.htm

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/229_fitness_tip.html

Hope this helps you.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to How to Choose the Right Personal Trainer from the American Council on Exercise (ACE). http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfacts_display.aspx?itemid=2587

I've been a certified personal trainer for 14 years. I've been certified through ACE for the past 4. I highly recommend looking at either ACE, ACSM, or NSCA for certifications if you are going with a trainer that is certified. There are other certifications out there, but those are the hardest to pass the test. If you are looking at a trainer with another certification, do an online search for that certifying agency and see what it takes to get their certification. Most of them use a weekend certification course, but it takes a lot longer then that to learn this stuff. I would say that if the certification doesn't recommend studying for 6 months or so before taking the test that they aren't that great.

That being said, I'm currently in a program for my bachelors in exercise physiology with a minor in nutrition and after taking these courses, I realize that a certification doesn't teach you half of what there is to know for proper fitness training. So, if you have the opportunity to chose between someone who is certified and someone who has an exercise science or exercise physiology degree, go with the degree.

As for cost, it varies by location. In most major cities, $50-$75 per session isn't uncommon. In smaller cities, you can get it for as cheap as $25-$35. Could be worse, in LA it's $200 per session. ;) A good trainer, though, will let you do one session and design you a program that you can follow on your own for a month or so and then go in for another session for another routine. Any trainer who doesn't think it is more important that you workout then that you pad their pocketbook, isn't worth using, IMHO.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing (I'm ACE certified as well) is if the certification is NCCA accredited.

Besides a certification, make sure the trainer meets the following standards:

1) they DON'T give you nutrition programs/plans unless they are qualified to do so. (this is my pet peeve, trainers are NOT nutritionist or dietitians, unless they have training in this area, it's not for them to tell you).

2) They have the available time to devote to you. Listen during your initial evaluation/interview to see whether they say things like "let me check my schedule" and "I may be able to squeeze you in..." And other markers that they are already full, training is more than just showing up, if they are to busy, you will suffer.

3) They have experience. And by that I don't mean "10 years on the job" although that's fine to. Just because someone wasn't a trainer their whole life doesn't mean they haven't gained the needed skills to train. A coach in certain sports could be just as qualified as a PT, or a mentor in a job, or even a community advisor. What you want to look for is personal skills and attributes.

4) Make sure you are comfortable with them. They can be the best trainer in the world, but if they creep you out, then you will be missing a crucial aspect of training, and that's the connection required for them to really understand your needs and wants. The trainer should be able to somehow empathize with your situation. That's why it's best (in many cases) to seek out a trainer that has once been, or had someone close to them, in a similar situation as you are currently in. It helps a lot.

These are things that I've learned in my experiences.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hire personal Trainers for at least half the year!

This is what I look for (because I really want a bootstyle camp someone yelling at me from behind kinda trainer)

a) **THEY HAVE TO BE AN ATHLETE (My trainer is a professional downhill biker, and ex professional grass hockey player)
    b) They have to hold a valid certificate (check out what your state/province requires for certification)
    c) They have to be available when I want to work out!
    d)They have to be reasonable with their pricing (ie, Am I playing for a gym membership on top of this? or is my training fee including a place to work out? )

**I understand a lot of trainers are also people who lost a lot of weight, and know what they are doing, but i ALWAYS will look for an athlete to train me**

I have a great girl now, who I've stuck with for the past 3 years now. Friday is my last session until Mid October (sometimes I need a break) . She is 45$ per session or 400 $ for 10 sessions (lasts me 2 months) But me and my lover do it together now, so it's no extra charge, and we split the cost.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    To answer an above question: At this facility sessions are purchased in bundles. The rates for a 45 minute session range from $53-83 dollars a session (the price decreases when you buy sessions in bulk).

Banks mentioned not liking when trainers offer a nutrition plan. That is something that is added into their pricing.

My step-dad sees a trainer that charges $30 a session. I'd like to know what questions to ask when I check him out to see if he is qualified to help me. I appreciate all your feedback.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think Banks meant that a trainer should not give you nutrition plans UNLESS they have training in that area, so that might be one of the questions you want to ask your step-dad's trainer when you meet with him, what, if any nutritional counseling does he provide, and what is his training in that area.

I would also tell the potential trainer/s what your goals are at the moment and ask for a brief description of how he/she would proceed with you.

My experience with my trainer has been incredibly positive, and I went into it completely blind, so I just lucked out, but I love that you are interviewing potential trainers. You definitely want to have the kind of relationship with them that you can trust they know what they are doing and will not allow you to get injured.

Good luck with the search!

Oh, and I currently pay $35 for a half hour session, but not all of that goes to the trainer. I think it's a great deal.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think Banks meant that a trainer should not give you nutrition plans UNLESS they have training in that area, so that might be one of the questions you want to ask your step-dad's trainer when you meet with him, what, if any nutritional counseling does he provide, and what is his training in that area.

I would also tell the potential trainer/s what your goals are at the moment and ask for a brief description of how he/she would proceed with you.

My experience with my trainer has been incredibly positive, and I went into it completely blind, so I just lucked out, but I love that you are interviewing potential trainers. You definitely want to have the kind of relationship with them that you can trust they know what they are doing and will not allow you to get injured.

Oh, and I currently pay $35 for a half hour session, but not all of that goes to the trainer. I think it's a great deal.

Not to put words in his mouth, but Banks has been pretty consistent that anyone giving individual nutritional advice should be a LICENSED DIETITIAN, not just someone "with training". In many states, personal trainers are actually breaking the law when they do what they do--unfortunately, it's rarely enforced. Many certifying bodies provide some type of "nutritionist" certifications, which are totally BS.
  • cardigirl
    Options

Not to put words in his mouth, but Banks has been pretty consistent that anyone giving individual nutritional advice should be a LICENSED DIETITIAN, not just someone "with training". In many states, personal trainers are actually breaking the law when they do what they do--unfortunately, it's rarely enforced. Many certifying bodies provide some type of "nutritionist" certifications, which are totally BS.

My apologies to Banks, then, and to the original poster, and obviously to you as well.

All I know is that I've been successful following the advice of my trainer, but apparently that is a fluke.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

BINGO!

ACE actually puts it in their ethics section, it's not a "punishable" offense, but it is highly frowned upon. Basically, we are free to give our thoughts on what we think proper nutrition should entail, but to actually offer someone (who has paid for our services) nutrition plans and such, is essentially fraud, because we receive (as part of ACE certification) minimal nutritional training. It's fraud because WE are supposed to be the knowledgeable party in the situation, and we should be advising them on a proper course of action (seeing a dietitian).

It's why I'm happy to offer my advice on here, but I never offer to give specific plans, or if I do, I make sure the person knows that I'm NOT a dietitian (and they aren't paying me, so there's no expectation of knowledge).
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Again, I apologize, in that I may have misread or misunderstood exactly the nature of the question at hand, and also, not to beat a dead horse, but couldn't a trainer be a dietician as well? Never hurts to ask.

And for the record, my trainer did not offer me a "plan" per se, but made suggestions as to the percentages of carbs/protein/fats that I should try. I don't think he was trying to fraud me.

Lesson learned though. I'm staying out of discussions.
  • Azdak
    Options
    In terms of just a trainer, there are a couple of general areas of concern:

1. Education--does the trainer have a broad and in-depth educational background, or just have they just been spoon-fed some boilerplate information in order to pass a "certification". Looking at someone with an actual college degree in exercise science is usually a good place to start. It doesn't guarantee quality and that's not to say that ONLY trainers w/degrees are qualified, but it's a good start.

2. Experience--all the education in the world doesn't substitute for practical experience. Does the trainer have a solid track record of results. More importantly, does the trainer have experience with people like you? Is the trainer willing to provide references? What is the trainer's personal background? Don't get stuck on a particular "profile"--e.g. an "athlete", or "someone who has lost weight". People in these two groups often have some serious deficits--in education, empathy, experience, or all three. Don't get locked into looking at any superficial "type".

3. Flexibility--does the trainer have the education and background to design a program that takes into account YOUR specific needs, goals, personality, etc. Or do they use a "cookbook" or "one size fits all" approach. There are many different ways to effective exercise, and there are not only different approaches necessary for different individuals, but sometimes different approaches are necessary for the SAME individual as they progress over time. If the trainer seems to be someone who espouses a "set" philosophy--whether it's HIT, or crossfit, or whatever--you should run, not walk--as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

4. Personality--Does the trainer's general approach/temperament/personality, etc, fit your style. You will be spending a lot of time with a trainer. You need to have confidence that the trainer is concerned about you as an individual and that he/she will design a program that matches your style. Does the trainer have a schedule that matches yours.

5. Certification--There is a reason why this is #5. Unfortunately, certifying personal trainers is an unregulated business and, as much, has become as much a tool for obfuscation as for illumination. Not to mention, the training business has completely perverted the whole concept of "certification". Certification should be a process that VALIDATES that an individual has achieved a minimum standard of competence and possesses a minimum educational standard. Instead, certification has become an "entry-level" tool, all too often, a hollow piece of paper that serves only to create the ILLUSION of competence. That being said, there are some certifying bodies that seem to attract--even if only by accident--persons of a higher level of integrity. I would have more confidence in a certification from NSCA, ASCM, ACE or NASM than anyone else. Again, not that that guarantees that trainers w/these certs are all good, or that proves that those without are all bad--but you do increase the percentages in your favor by staying with these certifications.

Unfortunately, trainers are not cheap. Nor should they be--good trainers are entitled to be compensated for their services like anyone else. In fact, a low-priced trainer should be a warning sign, IMO. Anyone who is any good should be able to find a position that pays them appropriately for their ability. Someone who is content working for $15 an hour, I would question either their competence (i.e. they can't get a better job) or their professional drive.

There are some options. Most facilities have some type of "buddy" program, where you get together with 1-3 other people and "share" the training time. Obviously, there is not as much individual attention, but often what you get is enough and you save a few $$. Or you can use a trainer as an "accountability agent"--i.e. someone you see once every 2 weeks, for example, to keep you on track and update your program, rather than a "fitness buddy" who supervises every workout.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Again, I apologize, in that I may have misread or misunderstood exactly the nature of the question at hand, and also, not to beat a dead horse, but couldn't a trainer be a dietician as well? Never hurts to ask.

And for the record, my trainer did not offer me a "plan" per se, but made suggestions as to the percentages of carbs/protein/fats that I should try. I don't think he was trying to fraud me.

Nah--don't do that :smile:

Sorry, if it sounded like we were picking on you--it was more of a reaction to the trainers who do this stuff than your comment.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

cardgirl, don't be upset, it wasn't an attack, you were essentially right, and there was no meaning (from my part, and I THINK, not from Adzak either) to harm your point or upset you.

to reply to your statement above, I don't see a problem with offering advice to someone, as long as you don't make it part of your "program" as a plan to follow. I guess the difference is subtle and maybe I should have explained better in the beginning. Offering advice as someone who has done the research is fine by me. But (and I've experienced this personally) some trainers like to make their students follow nutrition programs of their own design, and unless they have the training to build those programs, I find this to be unacceptable behavior.

See, most people don't realize there is a separation between diet and exercise, to be a professional at one, does not make you a master of the other, but novices don't see that, and if you don't point it out as a trainer(at a minimum), you are essentially committing fraud. The fraud is that the client doesn't know any better, and accepts you as an implied professional, even if you never say you're a dietitian, it's implied. Until you look them in the eye and say I'M NOT A DIETITIAN, then there is no expectation. In this case.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I agree 100% with a couple of specifics in this comment (incidentally, I also "lucked out").

1. Ideally a relationship of trust develops. It is mutual. I have a great deal of respect for my trainer, and his g'friend recently told me that he loves training me because of my level of motivation. I guess we both share my goals, he wants me to realise my goals as much as I do. It has become a friendship really, with a lot of laughs to defuse the pain but with some serious work done.

I think this whole issue of trust is enormous, and it's why getting the right trainer for YOU is critical. For training to work you have to have the level of trust whereby when they say "Jump", you only think "How high?" Sure there is some degree of negotiation, but I have met disgruntled people in the gym who are their own worst enemy. They know it all already, they question everything they are told negatively from word go, they want unrealistic outcomes right now, they get bored easily and flit from one idea to another... it will never work, and I'd hate being in their trainer's shoes.

2. A trainer should be able to explain a broad plan to take you to your goals. Ideally training goes way beyond a typical collection of exercises thrown together. Really anyone could do that. It should be an overall plan, going in a direction, not simply a session every now and then to change a few exercises.

As I said, I kind of lucked out. But in general I'd try to engage a likely looking trainer in conversation and feel whether your personalities seem to gel, and whether they are enthusiastic about what they say as opposed to "another client, another paycheck". Observing trainers with other clients from a distance is a good starting point. Is there some kind of dynamic happening? Do they both look motivated? Etc.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Thanks Banks and Adzak, I guess I did take it a little personally. Need to develop a thicker skin, I guess. :laugh:

Actually, everything my trainer has told me about diet has matched up pretty much exactly with what has been discussed on here by you, Banks, and has been working for me, but he does not police my food diary or anything like that.

But I agree, there is lots of bad advice out there floating around and people need to be aware of how to distinguish the sound advice from the not so sound.

Adzak, that was a GREAT list of "concerns" about hiring a trainer, thank you for posting it.

And to OP, I hope you are successful in finding a trainer who can motivate you and help you and get you to the point of loving exercising to be fit, as mine did. It's been well worth the investment.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I feel much more comfortable now seeking help than I did this morning.