Walking a dog at 3 miles an hour

Options
13»

Replies

• slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My two huskies helped me burn off 18lbs in the duration of the winter just walking them a couple hours five days a week. It was the first time I really lost something substantial and it motivated me to take up fitness games on my console and eventually P90X later on. My motivation has kind of died off with the loss of my father a couple months ago but I'm trying to get back into, at the very least, walking my dogs. They're pretty pleased with this :P

Ditto! I walk my two "boys" almost every day for various reasons (good for them, good for me, fresh air, and a great time to unwind). I ended the "stop and sniff" routine long ago to improve both my speed and theirs. It did entail a wee bit of training, but well worth it. Admittedly, there's that occasional lunge at a jack rabbit or slithering critter, but that provides a little upper body resistance and balance coordination. Walking 120 lbs of dogs can be great exercise! Not sure why someone would think walking isn't exercise...it certainly is in my world. Too, I would never walk alone in my neighborhood (druggies, pimps, gangs), but I'm never bothered by anyone with the dogs.

Edited to add: For the folks who walk dogs...if you're walking your pooch for their exercise, end the perpetual sniff and pee routine. They aren't getting the exercise they need either if this is what the walk entails. Sure, if you have an old dog who legitimately can't walk fast or for prolonged periods, it makes sense. But, for healthy dogs, they need a brisk, sustained walk to benefit their health just as much as we do...just sayin'!
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I'd love it if my dogs would walk at 3 mph. They have to stop and pee and sniff everything every 4 steps!

(edited for TYYYPOOOS)

I have one of those invisible fence collars for my dog that has a hand held remote and I walk the dog without a leash, when she stops to sniff or pee i just keep walking. When I get 50 or so feet ahead of her i whistle, if she doesn't run after me I hit the vibrate button on the collar and she comes running, I've never actually had to use the shock button, just the vibrate is enough. This way I can keep up my pace and the dog gets to sniff and pee all she needs.

I have old dogs. :( and stubborn lol so I'd be having to shock them lol.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    My little dog is lazy AF and stubborn to boot. He likes to sit and look at birds, lol. But I walk him attached to my big guy, so he goes, whether he likes it or not.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    walking not burn calories only running miles or more

I realize that every physical activity does, in fact, burn calories, but I don't think me walking my dog burns enough calories over my normal calorie burn rate that it is worth logging on MFP. If someone were extremely sedentary and sat on the couch watching TV all day and walking the dog was the only time he got up off his butt, then yeah, it would be a significant event worth logging. But I don't think it is significant for me.

Wow! You must be in amazingly good health! Congrats! I don't watch TV (at all), and my main exercise is walking my dogs and I'm pooped after our trek. Good for you!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am going to create an exercise called "Walking 3.0 MPH because I sent the dog to boarding school to straighten him out"
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You all are hilarious!
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    walking not burn calories only running miles or more

I realize that every physical activity does, in fact, burn calories, but I don't think me walking my dog burns enough calories over my normal calorie burn rate that it is worth logging on MFP. If someone were extremely sedentary and sat on the couch watching TV all day and walking the dog was the only time he got up off his butt, then yeah, it would be a significant event worth logging. But I don't think it is significant for me.

Wow! You must be in amazingly good health! Congrats! I don't watch TV (at all), and my main exercise is walking my dogs and I'm pooped after our trek. Good for you!

Maybe it's just that I have a very slow dog. Who knows? He does like to sniff a lot.

If you call your walks with your dogs "treks" you're probably moving quite a bit more than I am.