how do you decide your goal weight?

Options
i am sure this has been posted before, but i haven't seen a post- so i'm asking

i decided to get back into my prom dress and i think i was in the 160's my senior year, so i made a goal of 160 (subject to change when i get there) but how did you decide where you want to be?

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    much like you where I was before where I felt most comfortable, but also reasonable. When I get there I can change it if I want to go a bit lower.
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight because it was exactly 8st from my starting weight.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    My starting goal is to get to a healthy BMI. So the max I can weigh and be a healthy BMI is 155. so that is my first goal.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The lowest I remember being during my teens was about 130... the lowest after that I've been able to get down to was about 145, last year I was at 150 after exercising a lot. My high and where I started in January was 180 so I'm aiming for 140...just below where I could get with diet and exercise (but not as knowledgeable as I am now) when I was about 17 or 18, so I figure since I know more, I should be able to get down to 140, possibly 135 if I work hard enough and it looks okay on me.
  • gingerra19800
    Options
    i decided mines to be 160 becuz i member feeling my best at that weight..and i know if i can get there i know i can get down to when i was at my athletic weight of 145!! i was a volleyball player back in high school..:tongue: so losing over a 100 pounda sounds like alot..but this is something im ready for finally!!!:drinker:
    good luck to you as well!! yay!!
    ginger:flowerforyou:
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Like others, I simply picked what I feel most comfortable weighing before. Once I reach it, I'll go from there.

Good luck to you!
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went with what MFP suggested for me, which is basically the top number of the healthy weight range for my weight/height... It told me 150 lbs. Before I started gaining weight, which was 13 years ago, I was 130 lbs. But I am not sure if I would've still been at the same number have I not started gaining weight, I mean the body changes with age, etc... I was still growing and changing at 21 (when I was 130 lbs)... So I thought 150 was a good goal to start with.

Good luck with yours :)
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    My first goal weight is weight i was when found out pregnant @ 20wks i was slim as!
    Next goal be pregnancy weight

If im not at BMI of 22 i'll take it down a little bit more.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good question. A year ago my doctor recommended I lose weight to prevent diabetes. Today I went for my annual checkup again and I have lost 20 lbs from a year ago and I am about in the middle of the weight range for my height. He eyeballed me and said I looked good (in fact, I do!!) at this weight and I didn't need to go lower. I told him I would lose more if he recommended, but he said I was OK here. I will try to lose 2 more lbs just to be on an even 1x0 lb weight as my new "normal", and then try to stay there.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    The lowest I have ever been in my "skinny" me phase was 210, but I still had some fat that I couldn't get rid of. That is my mini goal and then my next goal is 200, which I think will be when I lose most, if not all, of my belly fat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have always hated "goal weights". It's so arbitrary. 2 people can be the exact same sex, age, height, and body fat % and look completely different (and be 20 or 30 lbs apart!). Why? Because maybe one person has denser bones, or larger muscle mass, or bigger organs. I much prefer body fat % as a goal, or even waist to hip ratio (or even just dress size if that's your thing).
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of with SHBoss here. I do have a goal # in mind for weight, but it was not set arbitrarily. It's in the high end of the "healthy" BMI range and about 10 pounds less than my previous lowest adult weight (about 5 years ago). I know how even at that point I still needed to keep going with my weight loss, so I know I don't want to stop at that point this time.

Once I get there, though, I am pretty sure I"ll focus less on the weight and more on composition and other tangible goals like squatting my weight x 1.5.
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    my first goal weight (60lb loss) is what i weighed in high school. my ultimate goal is to get in the optimal bmi range, which would be another 40lbs. one step at a time :)
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I based my goal weight on the high end of the BMI scale minus a few lbs.
  • bubbleblower16
    Options
    Mine is the middle of the healthy BMI for me but im really just planning to stop when I feel like I look and feel really healthy!! For me it's not a number it's a feeling of being healthy that matters! :smile:
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    I have done mini goals over the first 3months to get to my healthy bmi which I reached about 2months ago. Then I picked a weight I knew I was comfortable at...I reached it (136...well a pound away) and realized my 136 before my 3rd child was much different then my136 now and have decided to go lower. I think the safest way to start is to get to a healthy bmi and then decide how much more weight you would feel comfortable losing. If you have a wii fit, it's excellent for helping you establish a healthy weight and keeping track of your weight loss. I highly reccomend it :) Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The weight I feel comfortable at standing in the mirror naked. :-)
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    First goal is to get back to where I was before I got together with my ex-boyfriend :laugh: I gained 13lbs when we were together having lost 3.5stones with a personal trainer the year before. Have already lost 7lbs and have got another 6 to go and then I *should* be able to fit into all of my clothes again. I want to lose 2lbs before my birthday (in 2wks) so that I can get below the dreaded 'stone' line on the scale.

Ultimate goal is to get back to the weight I was when I was 21 - I probably felt most attractive at that point. Saying that though my body has changed a lot and I'm not sure how I'll look as I approach that weight so I guess I'll just keep looking at what I look like and decide if I'm happy to stop. I'll probably always be above the alleged healthy weight for my height but figure that different people of the same height and weight still look different. Just get to a point where you feel happy and healthy :bigsmile:
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with the weight I felt my best at. For me, that was when I was extremely active and I was 125 lbs.
    I'm extremely active again and should have no problem getting down to that weight (even if it takes a year or longer). That's another 15 lbs. from now for me and 26 lbs. from my starting weight. It's taken me 3 months to lose 10 lbs, but I've been told I have actually lost more fat than that because I gained x lbs. of muscle.
    When I start to get into the 130-135 range I'll re-evaluate. I want to be at 16% body fat or less (right now I'm between 20 and 21%). Once I reach that goal (if it's in that 130-135 range), awesome! If not, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I get to where I feel like I look great and feel great.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mine is 140, because according to my BMR I need to hit 150 to be in the "healthy" range, so I'm shooting for 10 lbs under that.