October Cycling Challenge 2013

Options
Welcome to October!

This thread is for anyone who pushes a bike pedal. We have people of every different level here. We have cyclers who are just getting their feet wet, so to speak, and pushing through their first few rides. We have others that are putting up several hundred miles a month. We love them ALL! We have Mountain Bikers, Road Cyclists, Commuters, Spin Classers (I don't even think that is a word, author's prerogative), Home Exercise Bikers, and Others Pedaling to the Park towing a Kid Trailer. We welcome EVERYONE. Whatever form your cycling takes, we want you along.

All you have to do to join is start posting on this thread. Some people post tickers, others keep a running total, still others post individual rides. There are no rules. You can post miles, minutes, rpm's, effort, WHATEVER! Just post! So, come on and join us. You know that you want to.

Replies

• jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Whoo Hoo---I'm first! Took August and September off from logging (but still cycling 3x week) and am now ready to log again. My goal is 175 miles, mostly indoor stationary but hopefully some outdoor, too!

I also have an indoor mini-triathalon that I'm on a team for at the end of the month and I can't wait to put all my practice to use to COMPETE!

Started today with a good hour, 14.25 mi ride =)

October goal: 175 mi
    October MTD: 14.26 mi

Oct 1---60 min 14.26 mi stationary
  • Harborjay
    Options
    My Oct. Goal is 465 miles. Will probably be mostly, If not all, indoors.

10/1 - 25 min. 5.8 miles

MTD - 5.8 miles = Time 00:25
    Goal - 465 miles
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In again! Trying to hit at least 400 miles this month (ended at 320 for September)

Going for an evening ride...will see

Good luck to all!
  • wenchyh
    Options
    I'm really new to cycling, i can't even let go of the handle bars whilst moving yet :) My plan is to get out for at least an hour on my bike every weekend for the next month. Its a small goal i know compared to many but its achievable, well i hope so. I'll keep you posted with how far i actually go, i've not managed more than 5 miles yet.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I'd like to top last months 351 miles but the colder weather and shorter days have started to make an impact on ride time. Like last month though, I'll do what I can when I can.

10/01 - 06.25 @ 15.8 mph (AM)
    10/01 - 10.01 @ 15.8 mph (Noon)

MTD - 16.26
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My goal for October is 300 miles. Did 250 last month most road so now will be a combination of road n stationary
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Goal for October is 90 miles. This will be a challenge due to chronic hip pain, knee pain, and fatigue.

10/1 - 4 miles.

MTD = 4 miles.
    Goal = 90 miles.
    Remaining = 86 miles.
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm really new to cycling, i can't even let go of the handle bars whilst moving yet :) My plan is to get out for at least an hour on my bike every weekend for the next month. Its a small goal i know compared to many but its achievable, well i hope so. I'll keep you posted with how far i actually go, i've not managed more than 5 miles yet.

Thats awesome...its a great outlet...enjoy ...look forward to reading abt ur bike adventures :)
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My goal for October is 300 miles. Did 250 last month most road so now will be a combination of road n stationary

Good job lady! You've been putting in some serious miles.
  • primal_cupcakes
    Options
    Hello fellow cyclists :-)
    Last month I hit 460 miles. I want to do at least 500 this month, preferably more.

Most of my weekday miles are commuter miles (I filled up my gas tank 6 weeks ago and it's still 3/4 full!). My weekend mileage is a combination of commuter miles and longer rides.

I don't have a computer to track mileage or speed, but I know the mileage of my most frequently used routes and use mapmyrun to figure out the mileage of new routes. And I can tell I'm getting faster and more efficient on my bike.

First miles of October. The leaves are changing colors and the air is crisp. Perfect cycling weather, in my opinion!

Oct 1: 25 miles
    month to date: 25 miles
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Finished October with 276.4 miles. Felt great to be exercising. I think I'll set my goal for October (pray for a late winter) at 300 miles. Lets see if this fat old man can get a little skinnier this month :) Had a bad bout of numbness after my first 3+ hour ride last month that kept me off the bike for a week so I'm searching for a good saddle for my weight (270). Any suggestions? I was riding a Brooks B17, switched to a Selle Italia Q-bik for the last week and it has been better, but not great. I have a Selle Italia Carbonio Flow to try out next.

October:
    1st - 20.9 miles

MTD: 20.9 miles
    Goal: 300 miles
    Dist to go: 279.1 miles

http://www.strava.com/athletes/2800490
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Count:
    1 Activities
    Distance:
    22.66 mi
    Time:
    1:32:36 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    1,168 ft
    Avg Speed:
    14.7 mph
    Avg HR:
    149 bpm
    Calories:
    945 C
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    'Hello fellow cyclists :-)
    Last month I hit 460 miles. I want to do at least 500 this month, preferably more.

Most of my weekday miles are commuter miles (I filled up my gas tank 6 weeks ago and it's still 3/4 full!). My weekend mileage is a combination of commuter miles and longer rides. '

Very nice story about saving fuel made me laugh that your gas\petrol tank is still full

In the UK we have a lot more people cycling now we also have the National Cycle Network which is a series of safe, traffic-free lanes and quiet on-road routes that connect to every major city and passes within a mile of 55 per cent of UK homes. It now stretches 14,000 miles across the length and breadth of the British Isles.

'Sustrans developed the concept and coordinates the development of the National Cycle Network, working with Local Governments to identify future routes
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/national-cycle-network/about

Here are some photos showing the routes and the signage on routes

First you need a map (though you don't have to buy one as all the routes are well sign posted

NNP04_Celtic_trail_pack-M.jpg

On this map below we have routes, 77,754,1, 75 etc

F__C_location_map-M.jpg

sustrans_gb_cycle_pic-M.jpg

then just follow the signs :) which will have a corresponding route number

imagesCAODTIFE%20%282%29-M.jpg

thCAA8MXZ3-M.jpg

thCAO4DE2Y-M.jpg

Sustrans%2520Cymru%2520Spend%2520Less%2520on%2520Roads%2520More%2520on%2520Bike%2520Routes-M.png

2138-l-M.jpg
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Phew! Found you!

1st Oct - 17.14 miles
    2nd Oct - 17.37 miles

Total October: 34.51 miles
    Target: 500 miles
    Remaining: 465.49 miles

September Miles: 273.53 Cycle
    August Miles: 571.26 Cycle
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'd like to top last months 351 miles but the colder weather and shorter days have started to make an impact on ride time. Like last month though, I'll do what I can when I can.

10/01 - 06.25 @ 15.8 mph (AM)
    10/01 - 10.01 @ 15.8 mph (Noon)

MTD - 16.26
    Come on!! You're going to let the weather/light stop you???? Pah! :laugh: :noway:
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Not going going to set a goal this month.

10/02--20.44 miles

Total--20.44 miles
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Well after almost 1,000 miles it was bound to happen. Got to work fine this AM, was about to leave for my lunch ride home and whaddayaknow, a very soft rear tire. But I don't have a kit. Anyone ever purchased one from walmart/target before? Any kit suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I MUST get this fixed to night,
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    10/01 - 8.08 miles

MTD - 8.08 miles
    Goal - 200 miles
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    CricketKate, THANKS! BEST WISHES!!!

10/2
    17 MILES
  • primal_cupcakes
    Options
    Well after almost 1,000 miles it was bound to happen. Got to work fine this AM, was about to leave for my lunch ride home and whaddayaknow, a very soft rear tire. But I don't have a kit. Anyone ever purchased one from walmart/target before? Any kit suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I MUST get this fixed to night,

I actually bought my last patch kit in a pinch at a gas station. It was a car tire patch kit, but it worked fine. I used a couple spoons to pry off the tire. It held for the rest of my ride and then I forgot about it and kept riding on that tube for months until it blew out again.