Controversial - VLCDs and Lighter life

Options
Hello :) I have been doing the Lighterlife diet now for 16 weeks and have lost 147lbs. I do NOT want criticism of my plan please. I chose to lose weight this way because I couldn't do it alone and it was the only support group local to me at the time. I still have at least another 133lbs to lose, and am planning on continuing on the LighterLife plan for a while yet.

What I am asking is, when should I come off? When I am at goal? After goal to make space for glycogen stores? Now and try losing naturally? I am terrified that this goes on forever because I can't see an end to it.

Positive advice, support and friendship would be much appreciated - remember, everyone does things differently!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this diet so I did a search. I found a review of it on Webmd, that was not overly critical, though they did stress that you should conult with your GP while on it.

The article also said this:
    Once you've reached your desired healthy weight there's a 12 week programme which slowly re-introduces food, starting with proteins and then progressing to vegetables and carbohydrates

So I think if you stick with it to the end there should be a transition phase back to eating.

Here is the link to the artcile, if you are interested: http://www.webmd.boots.com/diet/features/lighterlife-diet
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thread title says controversial and OP states not wanting criticism, but positive advice.

OP: Why not find something sustainable for the long run?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask that local support group? I mean, that's part of what they're there for, right?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thread title says controversial and OP states not wanting criticism, but positive advice.

OP: Why not find something sustainable for the long run?
    This...

Why use something that costs so much and has such risks????

Why not just eat at a deficet and be done with it.

My advice stop now, use the money towards buying real food and eating less of it and moving more
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My opinion would be to transition off the VLCD when you have about 100 pounds to lose. The reason is that for health reasons, you should try to preserve Lean Body Mass as you lose the rest of your weight.
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The local support group are great, all three of them :) They all cheat... and are in and out of ketosis. Going back on food isn't a big deal for them because they graze on and off. I've stuck rigidly to the plan and have now had no "normal" food since the beginning of June. So they don't get the big deal really.

Something sustainable would be good, but do I just come off this now, technically half way and slow it down and try and eat food? Or do I find something sustainable in weeks to come?

Think my main concern is that this literally lasts forever and screws up my metabolism.
  • becktacular90
    Options
    Stef - I would have done that originally if I had been able to :) My binge eating was so out of control that removing food from the equation completely helped me :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this? I think screwing up your metabolism is a legit concern, among many other things.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The website mentions "We'll make sure you know exactly what you can and can't eat to lose weight quickly and easily, and when you reach your ideal size, our group work and management programme will help you to stay that way."

Do you have a counselor for the group?
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Stef - I would have done that originally if I had been able to :) My binge eating was so out of control that removing food from the equation completely helped me :)

Sounds like you're not dealing with your issues with food if you're ignoring food altogether. Once you introduce food back into your diet you'll be back at square one.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Ok, am I really reading this right? you average losing 9 pounds a WEEK?

I understand the bingeing and you wanted to go liquid, because food was a trigger, but this seems very dangerous to me... 9 pounds a week is literally unheard of, unless I am reading the numbers wrong? I mean, if it worked great, but I don't see how you can go back to eating regular food now without gaining it back (maybe not all of it, but at least half of it.)

If you were worried it would have screwed up your metabolism in the long run, maybe you should have done more research before starting. That's my opinion.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    The local support group are great, all three of them :) They all cheat... and are in and out of ketosis. Going back on food isn't a big deal for them because they graze on and off. I've stuck rigidly to the plan and have now had no "normal" food since the beginning of June. So they don't get the big deal really.

Something sustainable would be good, but do I just come off this now, technically half way and slow it down and try and eat food? Or do I find something sustainable in weeks to come?

Think my main concern is that this literally lasts forever and screws up my metabolism.

If the consultants on the plan are no help with transitioning off, I'd suggest talking to your GP about how to transition off. I'm not sure how your body would react if you just suddenly stopped and started eating food again after several months of not eating. I would think some GI distress would be usual.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    I would advise not staying on it for too long. Come off it very, very gently and slowly with the support of your Lighter Life group leader. You've lost loads so well done but be very careful. Trust me, if you fall off the wagon there is very little chance of you being able to repeat what you did the first time and there is a very real risk of you then ending up 'chasing your tail' trying to get back what you once had and ending up gaining more than you had started with.

I know you don't want criticism but Lighter Life carries very real risks of gaining back more weight and developing disordered behaviours around food. Ultimately we can't and don't need to opt out of food.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The website mentions "We'll make sure you know exactly what you can and can't eat to lose weight quickly and easily, and when you reach your ideal size, our group work and management programme will help you to stay that way."

Do you have a counselor for the group?

*shaking head sadly*
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/lighter_life_diet.htm

This pretty much says how to use it. You should have this information already, as I found it with a simple Google search. If you're over 30BMI, you use it one way. After you go under 30BMI, you transition off. The "counselor" helps you understand your "relationship with food"

I'd never do it without hospital supervision, but I don't have 300lbs to lose, so... to each their own, I guess?
  • becktacular90
    Options
    Thanks for your comments :)

I did a lot of research before starting and it was a genuine last resort before surgery for me. I lost weight very fast the first two months and it has slowed down now to a more normal rate. I weighed up the risks and decided that I just couldn't face being the way I was any more.

I have a counsellor but she very much just ignores any questions and concerns I have that might be negative towards the program? Going to ask the GP is a great idea, am going to do that.

What has changed is, after the space from food I now mentally feel like I could have another go at losing while eating. Genuinely. But am I just being overly hopeful?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ok, am I really reading this right? you average losing 9 pounds a WEEK?

I understand the bingeing and you wanted to go liquid, because food was a trigger, but this seems very dangerous to me... 9 pounds a week is literally unheard of, unless I am reading the numbers wrong? I mean, if it worked great, but I don't see how you can go back to eating regular food now without gaining it back (maybe not all of it, but at least half of it.)

If you were worried it would have screwed up your metabolism in the long run, maybe you should have done more research before starting. That's my opinion.

There is no reason to imagine she's gain all or half of it back. At her starting weight and current weight, it's doubtfull she's damaged her metabolic rate much. VLCD are not all that dangerous for those with a lot to lose. At least not in the begininning.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The problem with this post isn't that people will judge you and not be supportive, etc., etc.. It's against MFP forum guidelines. For good reason.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I have been doing the Lighterlife diet now for 16 weeks and have lost 147lbs.

Is that correct?

I don't have firsthand experience with this, but that seems like an incredible amount to lose so quickly (not that I'm trying to imply there is anything wrong with that, necessarily).

Congratulations on such an achievement!
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    What was your starting weight and bodyfat% and your current stats ?
This discussion has been closed.