How many calories burned in interval training

Options
Hi, Im hoping someone can help me. Im new to myfitnesspal about three weeks now. I take a bootcamp class at the gym todays a week and I am not sure how to put it into my exercise log. Here is an example of what we did today.... in 40 minutes we did 50 jumping jacks, 20 table tops, Spinning on a bike, 30 leg kicks (each leg) on punching back. 15 burpees, 15 jump lunges and 3 flight of stairs……intense workout.. any ideas???:smile:

Replies

• ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A HRM will be your best solution
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I do something similar I often pick an exercise that was in the middle of the pack in terms of intensity and attribute the entire workout to that one exercise. Then put in the notes what I actually did.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my friend told me that I should just put in Jogging.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im hoping someone can help me. Im new to myfitnesspal about three weeks now. I take a bootcamp class at the gym todays a week and I am not sure how to put it into my exercise log. Here is an example of what we did today.... in 40 minutes we did 50 jumping jacks, 20 table tops, Spinning on a bike, 30 leg kicks (each leg) on punching back. 15 burpees, 15 jump lunges and 3 flight of stairs……intense workout.. any ideas???:smile:

How far can you run in 40 minutes? Figure out the calorie burn for that (0.63 * miles * weight in pounds), divide by two, and that'll give you a decent starting point for net calories burnt in that kind of class.

EDIT: An HRM will generally give terrible calorie-burn results for this kind of activity.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM to find out how much you are really burning. Then enter it in the log either creating your own description or subdividing it into several. Do not use the MFP calorie counts. These are overstated, but I'm glad to know you can manually override them to something more accurate.

When dealing with intervals, calling it jogging is inaccurate and insulting. When you get your HR as high as we do with intervals it bears zero resemblence to casual jogging.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Okay I cant beleive I am going to admit this but Im so clueless when it comes to this stuff. I have been trying to jog/walk more lately and have been using an app called runkeeper. Last night I tried to jog more but did more of the power walk then jog. I did 3.13 miles in 41.49 mins ave at ave minute per mile of 13.20, it said calories burned was 413. Could I say that for today's class?

And does it really matter? I mean I dont eat the extra calories from working out I still try to just eat my daily average worth. working out is just a bonus right?

What is an HRM