Dinner 500 calories or less...

Options
I over ate a little at lunch and only have 500 calories left for dinner.. give me your best filling meals that clock in at 500 calories or less

Replies

• List_Ninja
    Options
    Have some potato bake. Dice one small red potato and a quarter of an onion. Dice a little boneless, skinless chicken breast, and throw it all in a bowl together. Add a bit of lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, oregano, red pepper, and cumin. Bake on parchment paper until potatoes are done. Then pour some egg white over the top and bake for an additional three minutes. It is really delicious, very filling because of the potatoes, low in fat, high in protein, and leaves you enough calories in the day for a little dessert. I weigh all my ingredients on a scale, but it usually comes out to about 160 calories and it makes a good portion. It's a warm buttery flavor without any actual butter.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like to do this thing I think of as a Philly cheesesteak but no meat and no bread, hehe

I sauté a bunch of mushrooms, onions, and green bell pepper in a bit of Canola or olive oil. Then add a light amount of mozzarella or provolone over the top (melted) and a little Sriracha. SO good.

It is my go to meal for any time I wind up eating more during the day than I may have planned...like if the boss orders pizza or something.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I never eat a meal over 400 calories. Go to Skinnytaste.com or emilybites.com. You'll find so many great options!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and steamed veg. Lots of decent combos under 500 with solid satiety.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat 500 calories at dinner (that's what snacks are for!).

I like making a Flat-Out wrap.
    I place the following in mine:

2.5 oz. meat (turkey, chicken, pork, etc.)
    spinach
    mushrooms
    tomatoes
    peppers
    black olives
    2 teaspoons of "light" dressing

That's a full meal for me, but since it's only around 250 calories...you could eat two if you like it!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    4-8 oz meat/fish (up to 300 cal)
    3/4 cup rice (150 cal)
    2 cups veggies. (50 cal)

Plate full of food for less than 500 cal.
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Super easy low-cal pasta! You can use regular pasta - doesn't have to be whole wheat. Only 250 cals with the cheese, so you have cals left for a slice of garlic toast or glass of wine or dessert, too!!

Capellini alla Checca - 1 serving, can easily be doubled, tripled, etc.

This is my go-to meal when I don't have (much) time to cook dinner. My only requirement has been FRESH basil. If you find a good cheat, though, I'd love to hear it! The longest part of putting this together is waiting for the pasta water to boil.

1.5 oz (dry) whole wheat pasta; my favorite is angel hair
    1-14oz. can diced tomatoes, slightly drained
    Fresh basil to taste (I use about 1/4 cup)
    Fresh garlic to taste, 1-2 cloves

While pasta water comes to a boil, finely mince the garlic. Dump the tomatoes (slightly drained) and minced garlic into a medium frying pan, and cook on low/medium heat while waiting for the pasta. Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook pasta a minute or two shy of the recommended cooking time. When done, scoop out and put into the frying pan; toss with the sauce.

Cut the basil into thin strips (chiffonade), toss into the sauce. Cook until the pasta is tender, adding water (or pasta liquid) if necessary.

Once you have this recipe "down," pretty much all the prep is done while the water boils for the pasta (cutting the garlic & basil, draining the tomatoes). The sauce only needs to cook long enough to heat the tomatoes through and finish the pasta.

220 cal
    42g carbs
    1g fat
    9g protein
    9g fiber

Add a quarter of an ounce of finely shredded Parmesan Reggiano for an additional 30 cal, 2g fat, 2g protein. For a hungrier spouse, up the amount of pasta for their portion. As a treat, I'll have a slice of frozen garlic toast with this (about another 140 cals). My quick trick: fry it in a non-stick pan - it has plenty of butter on it already!
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Asian Stir Fry. 3 cups of veg and 1 cup rice for 392 calories. It's an enormous amount of food!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I mostly do a lean meat with a salad or veggies. Add brown rice or quinoa if I have carbs to spare. Favorite is Salmon roasted with whole grain mustard and a little honey, roasted or sauteed broccoli/zucchini/red peppers. We also do turkey burgers a lot with 97% lean ground turkey, mix in shredded zucchini for moisture and Ms. Dash for flavor. Cook on the stove or bake. Mashed up avocado on top and usually with a side salad.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I also love Skinnytaste.com, but the recipes are pretty ingredient heavy and sometimes lots of carbs/sodium if you're trying to watch out for those. But i do like that she lists all of the nutrition info and a lot of the popular meals are already in the MFP database.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    2 servings of white or brown rice (300 calories) and lots of veggies/mushrooms. Make the rice up and then I cook the veggies and mushrooms in a bit of water with spices in a skillet until they're soft. Splash with some soy sauce and you've got a healthy, filling meal for around 400 calories :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    tomato soup and grilled cheese (446 calories for 1 cup of home made soup and 1 sandwich made with GF bread, which has more calories/slice than whole wheat or even white)

chili (1.5 cup serving of my homemade is 332 calories)

grilled chicken salad or tuna salad salad

and tonight I am having shepherd's pie (362 calories) and applesauce (60 calories)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    16 oz of chicken breast ~440 cals
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I never eat a meal over 400 calories. Go to Skinnytaste.com or emilybites.com. You'll find so many great options!
    I am so sorry for your loss.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Bummer
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chicken Cabbage Soup (my husband and kids love this recipe during cold weather)

1lb skinless chicken breast
    1 yellow onion chopped
    2 ribs celery chopped
    2-3 carrots chopped
    1/2 head cabbage chopped
    chicken broth or bouillon cubes
    salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme to taste
    cornstarch 2Tbs dissolved in a little cold water

In a stock pot, cook chicken, shred, set aside

Dice onion, carrots, celery and sauté in bottom of stock pot. Use a dab of oil if there isn't enough chicken fat left in the bottom. Throw in shredded chicken and cabbage. Just cover with broth and bring to simmer. Add spices to taste.

If you like your soup thicker, like stew, add the cornstarch slurry and bring to boil to thicken. If you like it thinner, leave it out.

This much soup serves 6-8 easily. I usually make the whole recipe and freeze half for a typical family dinner (2 adults, 2 kids). One large bowl is ~ 200 calories. My weight watchers calculator says it's 3pts.

I almost always cook egg noodles on the side or throw in soup crackers for my kids for extra calories.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Every recipe in my blog is under 500 calories a serving. Including the chicken pot pie one....actually.

Wait, no, the fried rice usually comes out a bit more than 500 calories. Sorry. The rest, yes.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/06/thai-chicken-and-pineapple-stir-fry.html

Add some brown rice for about 400 cals total. Really yummy and satisfying.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A big slab of butchers chicken, 4/5 baby boiled potatoes and a plateful of steamed veg. Easily under 500!