Too Fat to Wear Leggings

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
So I want you guys to weigh in on this.

I saw a conversation in which a person stated "NO ONE SHOULD EVER WEAR FLESH COLORED LEGGINGS BY THEMSELVES EVER." To some extent I agree with this. Wearing leggings by themselves in general seems a little tacky. They look super stylish with a long shirt, or a skirt or shorts though.

Then some other person chimed in and said something along the lines of "Leggings come in 5X. So somewhere out there, there's a 5X person walking around, and there's someone that has to walk behind them."

While I agree that no one looks good with using leggings as pants, big or small alike, I think this is a little discriminatory.

What's your opinion on it?

Replies

• DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person looking...

Consider all the men who are super attracted to BBW. I'm sure they're not like "MAN, I SURE DO HATE SEEING SEXY GIRLS IN SEXY CLOTHES!"

Personally, I don't think anyone should be told to cover up their body only because *I* don't find them attractive. That doesn't make sense, my preferences are not at the center of the universe. :p

However, I don't like the look of leggings worn without pants personally. So I won't wear them :p
    This reminds me of the time I punched a girl in the face for *kitten* talking my girlfriend. She didn't know we were dating, and she walked up to me and was like "OMG, I just saw a girl, in skinny purple jeans, who should NOT have been wearing them"

:S ANYWAY.
    I'm fine with any sized body in any type of clothes, if they're comfortable, whatever, I just won't look.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm against wearing leggings as pants. To prove my point as to why they shouldn't be worn as pants, today in my class this very large women walked in wearing white leggings with a leopard print thing under it that I think is supposed to be a thong. Everyone gasped when she turned around to take her seat. I honestly felt like lending her my long sweater to help cover up her behind. It was awful. I have a feeling she had no idea her leggings were that thin that you could see EVERYTHING though them.

Don't think you can see through leggings ladies?
    not-pants.jpg
  • DandelionCupcakes
    Options
    Yeah, that's why they're meant to be worn under things lol. But not all are see through on the rear end. Depends on the person. I think I'd appreciate someone saying "Hey, Cupcakes, you can see your hello kitty polkadot undies through your strange choice of bottom-cover" Regardless of size, that's how I feel.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    meh im getting too old to care anymore put me on "people of walmart" ridicule me that's no reflection on my intelligence or who I am as a human being.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    Yeah, that's why they're meant to be worn under things lol. But not all are see through on the rear end. Depends on the person. I think I'd appreciate someone saying "Hey, Cupcakes, you can see your hello kitty polkadot undies through your strange choice of bottom-cover" Regardless of size, that's how I feel.

lol i was very tempted. Even asked the girl next to me if we should say something to her. But since this girl in the leggings has a nasty attitude we figured we would let someone else tell her.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    something about this thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSK91mUNLU

If you haven't seen the video you reall should you tube it lol

In all seriousness though, I think it's just a matter of what someone enjoys. Each person has different tastes, and I think that if a bigger woman can go out with leggings with confidence, and looks put together (or what my opinion of put together would be) then more power to her! If she goes out in leggings looking like trash, then no. Just no. However, the same could be said about the thin ladies. Again....if they walk out of the house looking like they care about their apperance then it's not going to be so hard to look at, but if they walk out looking like a train wreck who doesn't own a mirror then it's just no right.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    meh im getting too old to care anymore put me on "people of walmart" ridicule me that's no reflection on my intelligence or who I am as a human being.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable.

Yeah, that.

I have some leggings. I mostly wear them as PJs or for exercising. If I wear them out of the house, I'll either make sure they're not transparent or that my *kitten* is covered with other clothing.

But I don't care if someone else thinks I'm too old or too big or too anything for certain garments.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about FLESH colored leggings probably. Because no matter how great your body is, those can make you appear nude from afar or in photos. So just say no to that color ;-)

But I think it's everyone's business what they want to wear. If you don't like it, don't look.

I personally love leggings. I will wear my 1X athletic leggings out in public these days and feel confident about my legs and bum. Some people are probably disgusted. That is ok.

I've always liked leggings under skirts/dresses. This year I plan to branch out and wear one of my former dressy tanks as a dress with leggings. But it does cover my entire bum and an inch of thigh or so...so it's CLOSE to fitting like a dress, and I'll pair it with a blazer or cardigan anyway.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Leggings are not pants. I don't care what size you are, they're not pants.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    My kids school has a uniform code for kids and teachers.
    They have to wear black pants and a red polo shirt.
    Well one of the very large teachers liked to wear leggings. Several parents complained because not only does it look horrible showing all of her ripples and rolls but many times they were very thin and you could see what she did or should say didn't wear underneath.
    This particular teacher was livid when they rewrote the dress code to include that no one is allowed to wear leggings as pants.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    Options

Exactly.
  • boatyboat
    boatyboat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have to wear flesh colored skin tight pants all the time...riding breeches...
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options

My daughter wears them to ride as well. She is on the equestrian team. Believe me there is a big difference. The material is thicker on riding breeches plus they usually have an inner thigh padding. Big difference!
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options

Yup, tan breeches and tall boots riding Jumpers.
  • boatyboat
    Options

My daughter wears them to ride as well. She is on the equestrian team. Believe me there is a big difference. The material is thicker on riding breeches plus they usually have an inner thigh padding. Big difference!

No not really a big difference if you take a look at what most people are wearing. If you have full seat tailored, yes...most made lately are glorified spandex and not all have patches. (See Kerrits) Inner thigh padding is only on fullseats and not the norm. I've been wearing them for 25 years...and there are some that I try on...and must go back to the rack. They also make spanx for them now to hide some of the ugliness...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I wear leggings a lot but always with a top, tunic or skirt that at least covers my butt.

Do girls not understand how unnattractive and tacky seeing your underwear through your leggings is! No matter what size they are! Ew!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wear leggings as pants. But, my BUTT is covered and the leggings aren't see-through.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should wear whatever you want but at the same time I've been out places and had the unfortunate luck of being behind women who choose to do so. All I can think is wow, your friends and family must really hate you if no one has said anything yet.

I'm just cringing at the thought of my son being older enough to talk but not old enough to have an appropriate filter on his mouth.
  • boatyboat
    Options
    dev070_beige.jpg

Hee hee...does not look good in all sizes...but we have to wear them...ew