gaining weight on 1200 calories and gym 2-3 hours a day

Options

Replies

• bpt54
    bpt54 Posts: 17
    Options
    As part of my gym activities, I do strength training (resistance work/free weights/bands) 3-4 times a week for one hour each. The rest of my time is spent on the cardio (spin, turbo kick, Zumba, bag boxing). I am going to be super diligent about logging in everything I eat and drink over the next two weeks and see if that makes a difference. I agree with the posts that I am probably eating more than 1200 calories a day but with all of my exercise I did not think I was consuming more than I was burning. I do think I now have a better handle on what my accurate caloric intake should be.

Thank you for your reply and help. Much appreciated.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    "I remember when I had my first beer, too..."

nice first post, are you having fun?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough. Even at 60, you will be burning a lot of calories in a 2 - 3 hour workout every day.

If you can provide your height and current weight that would be helpful.

Also, your exercise is excessive. You don't need to work out that much and rest days as just as important.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do you meant 1200-1300 net? Or flat 1200-1300.
    I mean, this has nothing to do with weightloss, but moreso nutrition.
    You might want to start eating more to properly fuel your body.
  • bpt54
    Options
    Four years ago I lost 120 pounds and weighed 130. That was my weight until a year ago. A year ago is when I stopped walking 60+ miles a week and started my gym routine. Now I weigh 150.
  • bpt54
    Options
    It was a flat 1200-1300 calories a day. I lost 120 pounds with Jenny Craig over an 18-month period and had been in maintenance mode until last year. My Jenny Craig person never told me to eat additional calories to "balance" my amount of working out. I totally get that now but I wished I had found this "community" a year ago or maybe I just did not ask the right questions. That is probably more to the issue. Thanks for your reply.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It was a flat 1200-1300 calories a day. I lost 120 pounds with Jenny Craig over an 18-month period and had been in maintenance mode until last year.

Am I correct in understanding that you maintained your low weight using Jenny Craig, and the weight didn't start climbing until you came off of Jenny Craig? If so, I suspect the culprit is that you are most likely eating more than you think you are. That's so easy to do, we've all (alas!) been there!

Also, the walking you were doing was an extremely good activity. Since you replaced it with other activities, I assume you didn't stop because of medical reasons...?
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I also feel you may be over exercising. Consider giving yourself two rest days so your muscles can recover during the week.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are gaining fat? Have your clothes started to fit differently? Beyond the possibility that you might have gained some muscle (not sure if that fits with your age), I would consider examining food choices and possibly cleaning any junk foods out of the diet.

Highly doubtful muscle mass gain with little to no strength training, and as an extreme deficit the OP claims, along with being female.

and 60 years old.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are gaining fat? Have your clothes started to fit differently? Beyond the possibility that you might have gained some muscle (not sure if that fits with your age), I would consider examining food choices and possibly cleaning any junk foods out of the diet.

Highly doubtful muscle mass gain with little to no strength training, and as an extreme deficit the OP claims, along with being female.

and 60 years old.

That too..... I didn't want to call out age.
  • brower47
    Options

and 60 years old.

That too..... I didn't want to call out age.

What a gentleman. :smile:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why do you work out so much??
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

What? Everybody should have a couple of hours a day of solid physical activity! The OP should be commended for retaining such a good activity level!
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would recommend visiting your doctor, especially since you indicated that you are on thyroid medication and have controlled diabetes. Don't mess with this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

What? Everybody should have a couple of hours a day of solid physical activity! The OP should be commended for retaining such a good activity level!

No everybody shouldn't. Your body does need time to rest and repair. Taking a rest day or 2 a week is good for you. Not saying lay on the couch and eat chocolate bars all day, but going hard core exercise 7 days a week for 2 or 3 hours is not good for anyone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Either you are not correctly counting your calories (most likely), or you have a severe metabolic disorder that requires medical attention (rarer but possible), or you have a large tumor growing somewhere inside you (much rarer, also possible).

well aren't you full of great news...LOL
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough for how hard you're working your body so it's holding on to everything you're eating? Where are your calories coming from? I know if I don't eat heavier amounts of protein, I don't lose...Idk, but for someone that's eating so few calories and working out extensively that doesn't make sense. Perhaps see a nutritionist if your health insurance allows.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, first of all. And also, is the 15 pound gain just in the number on the scale or are you actually getting bigger? This is why the scale shouldn't be your only method of measurement.
  • brower47
    Options
    You may not be eating enough for how hard you're working your body so it's holding on to everything you're eating? Where are your calories coming from? I know if I don't eat heavier amounts of protein, I don't lose...Idk, but for someone that's eating so few calories and working out extensively that doesn't make sense. Perhaps see a nutritionist if your health insurance allows.

No.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    No everybody shouldn't.

Yes, they should, we're talking about only *2* hours a day.
    Your body does need time to rest and repair.

That's what the other 22 hours of the day are for. Anyone who can't do two hours a day of solid activity, day in and day out, is simply not fit or healthy.

I can't believe how soft we've become...