Job interview and suit issue.

Options
petergarcia82
petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
Okay so the the great news is today I just found out I have a job interview Friday. I normally wear a suit and tie but my problem is my old suit and tie is way, way too big. I was not out looking for the job it just came out, that's the only reason why I don't have one ready to go. I went to the store and I really hate dropping the money on a suit only to have it not fit me later. I looked on the clearance rack but I could not find any suits my size there. If i had more time I would try 2nd stores and things like that. What do you think, Do you think I could explain why I am not wearing a suit?

ETA

If I went without the suit I would wear some Nice Dress Slacks and a Button Up shirt and a tie, just no coat. I also only have tomorrow to buy it. I found out late today and have to drive Thursday so I won't have time to buy the suit then. So if I was to buy a suit it would not even be tailored and I am short so it's very hard to find a suit that fits without alterations.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the interview!

I would try to get a suit, if I could.. can you borrow one from anyone? A cousin even?

(I don't think it's a good idea to start off with what they might see as excuses.. first impressions do count, unfortunately)
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    You would hate to lose a job because of what you wore. For the job I have now, I started to wear dockers and a button down shirt. Changed my mind at the last minute. Showed up and all 3 guys interviewing me were in ties.

Good luck!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    is it the type of job you have to wear a suit or can you get away with nice slacks, tie, and button down shirt? Otherwise, try to find a suit if you really want the job.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you want the job you really need to try to get a suit. Sorry!

Good luck on your interview! I have two tomorrow. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep agree with the try to borrow one. Failing that black pants, white shirt, & tie. It doesn't have to be a full suit, but you do have to look smart.
  • Caitlinhillson
    Options
    Wear a suit and tie. I have not hired people for not going to the job interview in the proper attire. You may think me a cold ***** but if they're not going to make an effort for the interview, what will they do during work? I had one guy arrive in shorts once!

First impressions and all and if you weren't looking for this job and it came up and you went for it you must want it. So make a good impression.

Buy a fitted suit and have it taken in later.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've interviewed a lot of people and as long as they were neat and semi close to an interview dress code it didnt really matter what they wore, That being said, our industry is often odd hours and a little casual. (Biotech, at the whim of growing things, in scrubs a lot of times). Maybe dockers, button up, tie and a sport coat from Goodwill?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Buy a pair of slacks, wear a button up shirt, and a tie. You're good for most interviews.
  • petergarcia82
    Options
    Also to add, If I went without the suit I would wear some Nice Dress Slacks and a Button Up shirt and a tie, just no coat. And I also only have tomorrow to buy it. I found out late today and have to drive Thursday so I won't have time to buy the suit then. So if I was to buy a suit it would not even be tailored and I am short so it's very hard to find a suit that fits without alterations.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Find out what the folks at the company wear to work and wear the same style of clothing. Seriously, camp outside in the parking lot and watch.

Makes them comfortable and shows them you can fit into the team.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Find out what the folks at the company wear to work and wear the same style of clothing. Seriously, camp outside in the parking lot and watch.

Really? Expectations are different around interviews..
    If I went without the suit I would wear some Nice Dress Slacks and a Button Up shirt and a tie, just no coat. I also only have tomorrow to buy it. I found out late today and have to drive Thursday so I won't have time to buy the suit then. So if I was to buy a suit it would not even be tailored and I am short so it's very hard to find a suit that fits without alterations.

go early tomorrow am. am sure you can find a tailor in the mall to do a rush job on the sleeves. the key thing is the shoulders need to fit - too tight looks bad, too big looks sloppy. assuming you really want this one. sucks i know, sorry.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just suck it up and spend money you don't wanna spend. Even if it's ok to wear slacks and a tie, if you feel self conscious about it, that's gonna come through in the interview. I'd say buy the suit.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Wear some shabby clothes filled with paint stains and recite the interview scene from Pursuit of Happyness. Try it. Live a little!
  • petergarcia82
    Options
    Wear some shabby clothes filled with paint stains and recite the interview scene from Pursuit of Happyness. Try it. Live a little!

Tell me how it goes for you and if it goes well I will give it a try
  • petergarcia82
    Options

go early tomorrow am. am sure you can find a tailor in the mall to do a rush job on the sleeves. the key thing is the shoulders need to fit - too tight looks bad, too big looks sloppy. assuming you really want this one. sucks i know, sorry.

Yeah I thought about that but I have to work tomorrow so I can't go till after 5pm so I don't think they can do it that fast. I wish I had a few more days before the interview.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Yeah I thought about that but I have to work tomorrow so I can't go till after 5pm so I don't think they can do it that fast. I wish I had a few more days before the interview.

ok then maybe some adhesive fabric tape? lol. i know i'm all over your thread here, can totally sympathize. have cut my own hair the night before an interview.
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Don't need to. Got a job already. But if U watch that movie u may learn something.
  • petergarcia82
    Options

ok then maybe some adhesive fabric tape? lol. i know i'm all over your thread here, can totally sympathize. have cut my own hair the night before an interview.

That might be an idea. Lol! No problem. I realized now I was rushed for ideas I did not even put all the correct info in my post. Might have gotten different advice. Thanks!