How long should I be at the gym?

Options
I go to the gym every other day for strength training... I'm wondering if there is a certain amount of time I should spend there? What's considered too much? Does it stop being beneficial after so long.. More isn't really better?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every other day for strength training... I'm wondering if there is a certain amount of time I should spend there? What's considered too much? Does it stop being beneficial after so long.. More isn't really better?

Thanks for any advice!

how long does it take to complete the total amount of sets and reps in the program that you're following?

....wait, you are using a solid, full body resistance training program, aren't you? you aren't just going in and winging it, doing a lil of this and a lil of that, are you? hello? is this thing on?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Thanks for any advice!

how long does it take to complete the total amount of sets and reps in the program that you're following?

....wait, you are using a solid, full body resistance training program, aren't you? you aren't just going in and winging it, doing a lil of this and a lil of that, are you? hello? is this thing on?

I follow the boys around and do what they're doing. Except that thing where they lift the barbell off the floor, because ewww calluses.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I honestly ask myself the same thing sometimes! I am on a low weight training program and I do my cardio twice a week outside of the gym. I am usually there between 35 mins to an hour (usually an hour on days where I do abs). I don't really fluff around and I get in do my thing and get out! I usually do between 6-8 exercises at 3-4 reps each depending on what I am doing.

I have to say when I go with my partner or friends I am there longer, I guess because you chat, take your time between sets.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I do weights I take half an hour. I do this twice a week with a personal trainer.

Not to say that is the best or only way to do it, but that's what's worked for me.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people preach under an hour, some say under 45. I just get what I need to get done and leave. End of story.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do free weights at home and spend around an hour completing my workout which usually consists of 10-12 excercises, 30 reps each done in sets of 10 reps with 1min - 90secs rest between each set.

I alternate between upper and lower body, trying to do at least 3 sessions per week, fitting around my lifestyle (having 2 very young daughters makes you incredibly busy) but if I complete my workout in under an hour, I usually put a few more excercises in there to fill the time up, and up the weight next time.

For cardio I cycle to work and back, about 12km each way, once or twice a week, swim once or twice a week and am just getting back into running after a lay up from a knee injury.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Thanks for any advice!
    You only need the time it takes you to do al sets and adequate rest in between for the program you're doing. Most programs will take about 45-60 minutes per workout. If you are not yet following a solid program with progression built in, I strongly advise you to start one. Good starter programs for strength training are Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine and New Rules of Lifting.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    forever and a bacon :flowerforyou:
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I spend about 1 hour and a half in the gym doing weights 5 days a week, Mon - Fri. I do cardio Saturday sunday but thats at home. To be honest the only reason i don't spend longer is because i have to go to work. I got into trouble for coming late everyday. I love being there.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I spend about 1 hour and a half in the gym doing weights 5 days a week, Mon - Fri. I do cardio Saturday sunday but thats at home. To be honest the only reason i don't spend longer is because i have to go to work. I got into trouble for coming late everyday. I love being there.

Same here. I like volume.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If i go in the mornings before work, time is limited and I usually only do a short cardio warmup followed by strength programme - in and out within the hour.

If i have more time, I may throw in a stint on the Spin bike or alternative cardio along with strength and that can be up to hour and half.

I am not sure unless you have loads of time or are training hard for something specific that you need to be spending too long in the gym.

I just do my thing and out.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was told by a gym instructor that 45 minutes was the best amont of time!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm in there for 90 minutes, give or take! But I'm a bit of a fanatic!
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Due to injuries, I can't do weight training anymore. So I have a programme of one hour of jivamukti yoga (which is pretty intense and strength training for a class - I walk out drenched in sweat and no, it's not heated yoga); one hour of bootcamp reformer pilates (another pretty intense, strength and core training class) and then a couple of hours of spin and a dynamic yoga class every other week on my weekends. So far, so good. I am the most advanced person in my classes and my strength is better than ever before.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to how you use the time you have there. You can accomplish more in 30 minutes of hard training than you will in 2 hours of f*cking about.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i'm there for around 90 minutes on weight days...weights are 40 - 60 minutes, then cardio of 30 -40 ....I do weights 4 days a week, other 2 days just cardio for about 50 minutes, 1 rest day
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    I've been silly and tried doing it every day after work, I didn't make allowances for my usual work activities and now have an injury to my ankle and shoulder, so dont over do it, listen to your body.... and give your body time to unwind a little... This was all based on 30 mins a session.. take care....
  • MurphyGee
    Options
    @ Hauntinglyfit - Gloves should help avoid the calluses. The benefits from dead lifts etc (the lifting the bar from the floor thing) for you back and butt are well worth the investment in a pair. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it should take you as long as it takes to do the work out that you are following...

my sessions usually last an hour to an hour and twenty ....but that really should not be a marker for anyone else, as I would assume that everyone else has different program/goals...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I was told by a gym instructor that 45 minutes was the best amont of time!

that is not accurate at all ...

I would suggest a new gym instructor...