Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Quinoa...

RevCO30
RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
I am sure there have been a zillion posts about quinoa but am new to it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make it not have a bitter taste. I had it at a friends house and when I made it on my own it did not taste right, I guess I would describe the taste as bitter. Any suggestions and/or recipes welcome :).

Replies

• ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    tomato dishes usually take out the bitter for me. or spicy.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    It has a bitter taste?
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Boil it in chicken stock instead of plain water.
  • brianne1027
    brianne1027 Posts: 7 Member
    You may want to try a different brand.

I had some tonight. I just cooked it in low sodium vegetable broth, and it's a great side. I actually threw in some tomatoes and spinach.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    we make tons of different kinds at work, you can literally add anything to it to make it taste different - we have greek (feta, tomatoes, olives, onions), chocolate, other mixed vegetable.... we experiment a lot with it lol. I would google some recipes or just try out things you like with it!
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    The bitter taste comes from saponin, the waxy coating on each seed. To get rid of it, either buy pre-washed quinoa or rinse it with cold water repeatedly until the water runs clear.
    This site has some starter tips: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/5-most-common-mistakes-when-cooking-quinoa
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    The bitter taste comes from saponin, the waxy coating on each seed. To get rid of it, either buy pre-washed quinoa or rinse it with cold water repeatedly until the water runs clear.
    This site has some starter tips: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/5-most-common-mistakes-when-cooking-quinoa

This. For most quinoa from the bulk section you have to rinse it. I hate rinsing it, the quinoa is so small and it's just a PITA, so I always buy the boxes of pre rinsed stuff. It's more expensive, but so much easier.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Almond Butter :D
  • rbmwfamily
    rbmwfamily Posts: 1 Member
    I always rinse the quinoa first and then I saute it with olive oil or a little butter (this gives brings out the nutty flavor). After that I add chicken stock and what ever else I want to add to it bring it to a boil and simmer it for 20 minutes.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    It has a bitter taste?

I've never noticed a bitter taste, either.
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure to rinse it next time, and try many of the suggestions you all posted :).
    @ iheart biology-thanks for the website :)
  • If it's bitter it sounds like a dodgy batch or dodgy brand - try something else, and be sure to rinse it thoroughly before cooking.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    bump!