Starving

Options
13»

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    more water, more protein, less fat, less carb. That should be more filling.

He's 21, male, and eating 1500...and that's your advice?

Good job...
    ^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    On what basis did you decide 1500 calories is acceptable for a reasonably lean person such as yourself?

^this

I'm a relatively old (42), relatively scrawny (170 lb at 6') guy...

...and my maintenance (excluding extra exercise, calculated from two years of daily weight/consumption/exercise data) is now ~2500 calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    On the two days toga you logged you left about 140 calories. That's a bit more than a banana or a scrambled egg with veggies.
    Eat to your objective not 100 or more calories below. If you are hungry more fresh vegetables and fruits might help. While there isn't anything wrong with McD the thing is it's calorie rich but not necessarily very filling.

I'd also suggest you reconsider upping your cals to a smaller loss.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I'm 21 male, sedentary, 1500 eating. I ate 1400 today but I am starving. I usually eat more because I work out and I used to have a different job. now I have a desk job and I'm too busy to work out and too lazy. Any tip staying under my calorie goal?

No good reason to eat 1500, eat 1800 and take it slow. Walk around when you can to get extra exercise.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    there's a whollllllle buncha lulz in this thread...

1. calculate your tdee, multiply that by .8, eat that many calories
    2. get lots of delicious protein
    3. dont avoid anything you really enjoy....just fit it in your allowance
    4. laugh at that popcorn stomach stretch thing with the rest of us.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also pick up a box of ThinkThin Brownie Bars, 20 grams of protein each. These are usually about $1.39 each, or $5.97 to $6.97 for a box of five. These taste pretty good, too, and I eat one for breakfast with some fruit each day. It seems the more protein I eat for breakfast, the better off I am on managing hunger all day.

I second this. I have one or half a bar when I have those hungry days and that seems to help a lot to fill me up.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less. (A smaller stomach will reduce some of those hunger pangs.)

Uh. What? No.

One ounce of cheese has about the same number of calories but takes up much less space and doesn't feed the impulse to want to sit around and pop salty snacks in your mouth all day. Your mileage may vary, but I find that when I stay away from high volume low calorie snacks I'm not as hungry.

Stomach shrinking is a myth, that's what I was saying "no" to. The only way your stomach is going to physically get any smaller is if you have surgery. If cheese fills you up more than popcorn, it's because it has more protein. Not because it takes up less space. And popcorn doesn't fill you up as long because it doesn't have a lot of protein, and it's also a simple carb, not a complex one.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less. (A smaller stomach will reduce some of those hunger pangs.)

Uh. What? No.

One ounce of cheese has about the same number of calories but takes up much less space and doesn't feed the impulse to want to sit around and pop salty snacks in your mouth all day. Your mileage may vary, but I find that when I stay away from high volume low calorie snacks I'm not as hungry.

Stomach shrinking is a myth, that's what I was saying "no" to. The only way your stomach is going to physically get any smaller is if you have surgery. If cheese fills you up more than popcorn, it's because it has more protein. Not because it takes up less space. And popcorn doesn't fill you up as long because it doesn't have a lot of protein, and it's also a simple carb, not a complex one.

Actually, the popcorn doesn't take up more space in your stomach than it did when it was dry kernels. The act of mastication drives all the air back out of it. ...but this is an aside, and not particularly relevant.

I would also advise the OP to eat more.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had always been told the stomach shrinking thing, but according to the interwebs you are right. Well, I'm pretty sure I manage to stretch mine out when I lose focus and start eating like a linebacker, because I definitely can't eat the same amount of food when I'm on a calorie restriction. I wonder if they've actually studied this in little people or just your average 6 foot tall male.

Anyway, whether or not the stomach shrinking thing has any basis in reality, habitually snacking on salty high carb snacks is a psychological addiction for a lot of people, myself included. I have to go cold turkey, even if in moderation they'd fit within my macros. I don't know if OP is the same way.

Uh. What? No.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    more water, more protein, less fat, less carb. That should be more filling.

He's 21, male, and eating 1500...and that's your advice?

Good job...

That's what I was thinking.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP looking at your diary, then just try to stay off the junk/processed foods and eat better.

Make healthier choices and you won`t be `starving`
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Uh. What? No.

Re: "Stomach shrinking is a myth"

I've lost around 40 lbs. over the last 6 months or so, and have drastically reduced the amount of food that I eat at one sitting. In the past, I've eaten whole large delivery pizzas (cheese only, however) by myself.

Just last night, I went to a sandwich restaurant (Newks) and ate the whole thing (along with a small fruit cup side). I was uncomfortably full for the next couple of hours. In the past, this would've been nothing to me, as I regularly ate sandwiches of this size (along with half a family sized bag of Cheetoes, for instance).

Now, I'm not disputing that the physical shrinking you refer to is a "myth," and I, myself, have often wondered what the process is when it comes to someone's appetite diminishing in response to lessening eating habits.

One thing I do know, however, is eating smaller meals over time has definitely affected my appetite.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    most people recommend carbs other high fat but I have found some help and better understanding of by watching Micheale Mosely video on the web which is Eat fast and live longer I also have found Fung;s series on the web concerning trial by diet and fasting to be helpful, especiallly concerning carbs and blood sugar levels.
    My buddy and I are now considering low carb high fat diet, the latest consenus has come out in Sweden that this approach is better than high carb low fat. It is worth investigating.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Uh. What? No.

Re: "Stomach shrinking is a myth"

I've lost around 40 lbs. over the last 6 months or so, and have drastically reduced the amount of food that I eat at one sitting. In the past, I've eaten whole large delivery pizzas (cheese only, however) by myself.

Just last night, I went to a sandwich restaurant (Newks) and ate the whole thing (along with a small fruit cup side). I was uncomfortably full for the next couple of hours. In the past, this would've been nothing to me, as I regularly ate sandwiches of this size (along with half a family sized bag of Cheetoes, for instance).

Now, I'm not disputing that the physical shrinking you refer to is a "myth," and I, myself, have often wondered what the process is when it comes to someone's appetite diminishing in response to lessening eating habits.

One thing I do know, however, is eating smaller meals over time has definitely affected my appetite.

Your appetite may certainly decrease, I'm not disputing that. Only disputing the comment that stomachs actually physically shrink.

Congrats on your weight loss!