Considered underweight but have a pooch

Options

Replies

• Rawrsawrus29
    Options
    Of course I track my calorie intake! I'm always under my goal.. I don't ever use dressings or sauces and the only type of sugar I eat is from the teaspoon of honey I eat every evening :/
    I can't afford to go to a gym in my area so I do pilates from videos off youtube, however, I would love to start 'pumping' up my muscles
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Of course I track my calorie intake! I'm always under my goal.. I don't ever use dressings or sauces and the only type of sugar I eat is from the teaspoon of honey I eat every evening :/
    I can't afford to go to a gym in my area so I do pilates from videos off youtube, however, I would love to start 'pumping' up my muscles

Well maybe you need to work on hitting your caloric goal.
    Being under or way under, may work for a short time, but I think over the long run you will not be happy.

For weight lifting, then if a gym is not possible.
    Try doing body weight exercises.
    Maybe you can get a chin up bar, so then you can do back.
    Push-ups for chest.

P90X has pretty decent programs, and some of the exercises are body weight only.....granted some are also with weights (dumbbells)....
    So maybe you can get ahold of dumbbells to use in your house....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Well maybe you need to work on hitting your caloric goal.
    Being under or way under, may work for a short time, but I think over the long run you will not be happy.

For weight lifting, then if a gym is not possible.
    Try doing body weight exercises.
    Maybe you can get a chin up bar, so then you can do back.
    Push-ups for chest.

P90X has pretty decent programs, and some of the exercises are body weight only.....granted some are also with weights (dumbbells)....
    So maybe you can get ahold of dumbbells to use in your house....

This. Body weight exercises. I did this in the military during our regularly scheduled PT sessions, and it works.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I second the person that mentioned posture. It could also just be genetics.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I suspect you've done this on a VLCD? In any case, this is the result of sustained undereating. You have two options:

1) continue to undereat until your belly catches up, you'll experience all manner of health issues along the way but it's possible to remove all fat - I see this with cancer patients undergoing chemo.
    2) eat more food, eat more protein, start strength training to build muscle which will result in a more healthy physique.

I know which option I prefer. If (2) is your choice, MFP is the right place for advice and support. :)

As for your current location, presumably you're only there for a couple of weeks? I'd just enjoy the food as 2 weeks is nothing in the greater scheme of things. Food is part of the culture of wherever you are so you should enjoy it. Walking to offset the cals is a good idea but you'll be doing that anyway. Then go back home and start anew.

There was no need for point 1 at all.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be loose skin from losing weight, could be posture, or you may have a high BF% given your weight. If it is the body-fat thing, I would suggest eating at maintenance calories and take up a heavy lifting strength training program. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or stronglifts 5x5 for the type of program that should yield the results you are looking for. Also when doing this make sure you are getting adequate protein, 100grams a day given your weight should suffice.
  • Could be loose skin from losing weight, could be posture, or you may have a high BF% given your weight. If it is the body-fat thing, I would suggest eating at maintenance calories and take up a heavy lifting strength training program. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or stronglifts 5x5 for the type of program that should yield the results you are looking for. Also when doing this make sure you are getting adequate protein, 100grams a day given your weight should suffice.

not to be nasty to the OP but i doubt she will do this since she said "so I am quite healthy.. I just eat too little in general. " You CANNOT be 'quite healthy' and 'eat too little in general'....if you're working out and eating clean you should be able to eat at a healthy intake and maintain your weight.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What's up with the two skeletons kissing in your ticker? It's kinda freaky.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "pooch"?: In the UK a pooch is a small dog! :smile:
    Hey guys,
    so I am 1,75 cm tall and weigh 52 kgs (yes, I know, I'm underweight). I really love my new body because I feel attractive and comfortable in my own skin! However, I've started to notice a little pooch coming along.. is it just me making things up or is it actually possible?
    My question is, how do I avoid the pooch from coming back?

*NOTE: I am currently on vacation in a beautiful city so the only form of exercise I am able to do is walking around town (which is a lot!!).. there are no gyms and there is so much tempting food.. However, I have enough self control to say no to most of the treats! :)

Aye. "Paunch".

Oh I see - or pouch - I think I've heard it referred to as a baby pouch before, or something like that.
  • DerArschHut
    Options

Someone else said it, but I think it bears repeating. It sounds like your body is pretty much going into starvation mode. Constant under-calories everyday will tell your body that enough food never comes so preserve everything it gets as backup fuel, i.e. body fat in your favorite storage sites. (belly, thighs, whatever).

To sum it up, not enough calories and no triggers to direct those few calories to anything like muscle growth and you are seeing the result. Probably muscle loss and fat storage. Skinny fat. Like a malnourished distance runner.

I ought to know, i've fought that skinny fat problem since may. now i'm just maintaining at skinny while i try to dial in my gaining calories. It is a tough balancing act, but i think you have got to bump your calories to start, or else you may keep trading muscle for pooch even at the same weight.

Also, I don't think eating honey is doing your situation any favors. I would maybe replace it with something else, like plain greek yogurt or even natural peanut butter. I don't know what to make of the whole insulin spike stuff, but if you are worried about a pooch coming on, i'd at least read up on things that inspire fat storage.

I don't mean to start a "sugar is bad" flamefest, but i really think that a dose of pure empty sugar calories should be waaaay down your priority list.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, a little pooch is considered sexy! Plus, if you are on vacation, you are eating foods you are not used to and you may be a bit bloated.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Someone else said it, but I think it bears repeating. It sounds like your body is pretty much going into starvation mode. Constant under-calories everyday will tell your body that enough food never comes so preserve everything it gets as backup fuel, i.e. body fat in your favorite storage sites. (belly, thighs, whatever).

To sum it up, not enough calories and no triggers to direct those few calories to anything like muscle growth and you are seeing the result. Probably muscle loss and fat storage. Skinny fat. Like a malnourished distance runner.

I ought to know, i've fought that skinny fat problem since may. now i'm just maintaining at skinny while i try to dial in my gaining calories. It is a tough balancing act, but i think you have got to bump your calories to start, or else you may keep trading muscle for pooch even at the same weight.

Also, I don't think eating honey is doing your situation any favors. I would maybe replace it with something else, like plain greek yogurt or even natural peanut butter. I don't know what to make of the whole insulin spike stuff, but if you are worried about a pooch coming on, i'd at least read up on things that inspire fat storage.

I don't mean to start a "sugar is bad" flamefest, but i really think that a dose of pure empty sugar calories should be waaaay down your priority list.

The benefits of honey: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/264667.php
  • DerArschHut
    Options
    Sheesh, a little pooch is considered sexy! Plus, if you are on vacation, you are eating foods you are not used to and you may be a bit bloated.

Very good point. I know i am a guy, but i can relate to the fact that a pooch/gut/whatever, does not look good in the absence of other balancing features like in my case pecs, shoulders, or biceps, lol! So i can see why she has the concern with it.

Also not discounting honey, assuming she is eating the fully raw un-processed stuff. She didn't say so i don't know. I just meant that she needs to likely fulfill some essential macros first over sugar.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Very good point. I know i am a guy, but i can relate to the fact that a pooch/gut/whatever, does not look good in the absence of other balancing features like in my case pecs, shoulders, or biceps, lol! So i can see why she has the concern with it.

Also not discounting honey, assuming she is eating the fully raw un-processed stuff. She didn't say so i don't know. I just meant that she needs to likely fulfill some essential macros first over sugar.

I should qualify: A pooch on a woman is considered sexy. Sorry. :tongue:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just going to put it out there, I eat VERY clean! I don't eat fried foods at all, I don't eat junk food or processed food either. I don't ever eat bad carbs and I drink 2 litres of water a day, so I am quite healthy.. I just eat too little in general.

You might be surprised at what a little dirty eating now and again will do for your body fat percentage. I've increased my calories over the last month, and although my weight is stable, my body fat is dropping. And I'm one of those people who only does cardio and eats dirty way more often than I should.

Nutritional science is far from being settled. So long as you are eating whole foods, a whole-grain crust pizza with a beer for dinner is going to help your body fill in some nutritional gaps you may be experiencing. This will let the body release some fat because you have enough nutrients to sustain good health.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

I should qualify: A pooch on a woman is considered sexy. Sorry. :tongue:

It can too be sexy on a guy. It all depends on what is going on from the neck up.
  • DerArschHut
    Options
    for me now, i'm at 4-pack and ribs ... still not the right combination, lol! but to the OP, if you want honey at night every night, maybe use it to dip some chicken breast instead of just knocking it back plain. best of both worlds!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Just going to put it out there, I eat VERY clean! I don't eat fried foods at all, I don't eat junk food or processed food either. I don't ever eat bad carbs and I drink 2 litres of water a day, so I am quite healthy.. I just eat too little in general.

You might be surprised at what a little dirty eating now and again will do for your body fat percentage. I've increased my calories over the last month, and although my weight is stable, my body fat is dropping. And I'm one of those people who only does cardio and eats dirty way more often than I should.

Nutritional science is far from being settled. So long as you are eating whole foods, a whole-grain crust pizza with a beer for dinner is going to help your body fill in some nutritional gaps you may be experiencing. This will let the body release some fat because you have enough nutrients to sustain good health.
    IN! For dirty eating (in moderation) and cardio (in moderation)... and weight training.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This is almost freaky, I have the EXACTsame problem/stats, I am 175cm and 52 kg and I have a little pooch. But in my case I think it is just genetics, I have always had it, no matter how much I weigh or train my core muscles, it is just the way it is and I am fine with it. Just out of curiosity, what are your other stats (waist, hips, belly bf% etc.)? Maybe, in contrast to me, it is just water retention for you;)

It's probably what you are eating.. Are you eating clean? Lean proteins, veggies and fruit, whole grains?

I dropped a lot of my body fat by WHAT foods I was eating
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is almost freaky, I have the EXACTsame problem/stats, I am 175cm and 52 kg and I have a little pooch. But in my case I think it is just genetics, I have always had it, no matter how much I weigh or train my core muscles, it is just the way it is and I am fine with it. Just out of curiosity, what are your other stats (waist, hips, belly bf% etc.)? Maybe, in contrast to me, it is just water retention for you;)

It's probably what you are eating.. Are you eating clean? Lean proteins, veggies and fruit, whole grains?

I dropped a lot of my body fat by WHAT foods I was eating

In general , with most people, you would definetely be right, but I have been interested in nutrition all my life and I eat very healthily and clean (no processed food, high protein, good carbs lots of veggies, fruits and healthy fats etc.), so I don't think this is the problem. I do not seem to have a high bf% either because I am so bony that people have asked me before whether I am anorexic (which I am definetely NOT, I eat about 2000 cals per day and love eating;) So I guess it is really genetics, but I am (almost:D) ok with it..