HOW TO STRENGTH TRAIN

Options
I am skinny fat. Although i'm only about 110 to 115 pounds, I've never had a tight body. I've always been flabby. I can grab about 4 inches of fat from my stomach alone. My body looks decent with clothes on but HORRIBLE with clothes off. I know I need to do strength training but obviously, my body needs a lot of work. I want to lose the fat without losing the weight, emaciated is NOT my goal. I used to have a gym membership but I stopped going because I really didn't know what I was doing and wasn't seeing the desired results. I need someone that KNOWS what they are doing to help me!

Although I have a smaller frame, based on these pictures, my body composition resembles 40% body fat the most.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q9IaG44vmko/URs_eE1YJPI/AAAAAAAAA0M/mA3a9LkZiU4/s1600/382192_10151243836047032_1235513712_n.jpg

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Eat a small surplus, eat enough protein and (what you're already intending to do) do resistance training. What you want to do is build muscle mass, so eating in a deficit would not make sense.
    Look up a beginners strenth training programme like 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting. If you don't have a home gym you will need access to a gym.
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i am going to try the following basic workouts:

Workout A
    Squats
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    2 minutes rest between sets.

Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Triceps Press Downs
    1 set of 10-12 reps.

Calf Raises
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Workout B
    Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Biceps Curls
    1 set of 10-12 reps.

Abs
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Workout C

Squats
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Workout D

Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  • Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm in a similar situation - got down to the lower regions of "ok" weight on a BMI chart, but still very flabby. Here's a daft picture of me, but as you can see my arms are pretty skinny so I don't want to lose more weight, more look at those bicycle tyres! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22158488/1378425_10153298367130603_1512620745_n.jpg

(I don't have that look when stood up straight, but my small belly does "sag" a tiny amount)

I did a month of strength training 4 times a week before this was taken as well and I'm not sure that it made much difference (but I don't have a before photo sadly)
  • jstefanir
    Options
    So I'm supposed to eat more instead of less? At one point, I tried doing a low-carb diet, but it made me gain weight instead so I went back to eating crap and I surprisingly lost weight. I became scared to try it again after that point:/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body_fat_categories.htm
    According to this article, I'm anywhere from 31-40% body fat. I do have visible cellulite and I do have bulges in clothing despite being thin. I'd rather be fat than skinny fat... you don't have the added pressure of maintaining your weight.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If your bodyfat is really that high, I wouldn't go at a surplus yet. I wouldn't go just by visual representations, though. Take measurements and use an online calculator or get caliper tested. That being said, if your are high, I'd eat at a deficit still, a moderate one. Up your protein, get at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Start a resistance program. If you go to the gym, New Rules is good, and a lot of people like Jamie Eason's program. Just find an established , basic program, a full body compound program is a good place to start, too. Do some HIIT a couple of times a week and give it a few months. It will be a slow process, but you'll see changes.