Binge eating suddenly

Options
Hi there, its rather embarrassing to admit to this, but thought the best thing to do if get advice on it.

I do zig zag eating, basically, from Monday to Friday I eat from 1200 to 1500 calories. At the moment I burn about 150 to 200 calories a day either walking or swimming, weights and biking. On Saturday I eat about 2000 to 2200 plus burn about 100 calories cardio and 1hr 30 weight training. I have lost about 5kg, and am over the moon.

Basically, this week, I have been very tired, and I seem to have started binge eating on things with sugar. I try not to, but I am finding it difficult to stop when I start.

So my thoughts are that, I am eating to little during the week, so its making me tired and crave suger cause my body is tired.
I would love to hear all your thoughts on this.

Also, I work as a teacher, so I am standing at least 3 hours a day. I also eat school lunches. I only know the calories of the lunches. They are very accurately portioned out by the lunch ladies. I live in Japan, so I eat mostly rice and fish and veges at lunch. My home diet is not the best though.

Replies

• Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi there, its rather embarrassing to admit to this, but thought the best thing to do if get advice on it.

I do zig zag eating, basically, from Monday to Friday I eat from 1200 to 1500 calories. At the moment I burn about 150 to 200 calories a day either walking or swimming, weights and biking. On Saturday I eat about 2000 to 2200 plus burn about 100 calories cardio and 1hr 30 weight training. I have lost about 5kg, and am over the moon.

Basically, this week, I have been very tired, and I seem to have started binge eating on things with sugar. I try not to, but I am finding it difficult to stop when I start.

So my thoughts are that, I am eating to little during the week, so its making me tired and crave suger cause my body is tired.
    I would love to hear all your thoughts on this.

Also, I work as a teacher, so I am standing at least 3 hours a day. I also eat school lunches. I only know the calories of the lunches. They are very accurately portioned out by the lunch ladies. I live in Japan, so I eat mostly rice and fish and veges at lunch. My home diet is not the best though.

Have the same problem. Now i hope im handling this better. Up your calories hundered or 2. Should help.
  • PinkkCamel
    PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating these sorts of things that you crave into your diet? Or have you made it a no no sort of food completely? Maybe try taking controlled portion sizes of these foods you craved throughout the week to prevent you from bingeing? Don't be embarassed, you're not alone. Trying to train your body into eating healthily is hard and your mind and stomach often rebels as you've experienced!!
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There is a very good acronym - HALT. It means if you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, you'll make bad choices, and that includes food choices.The culprit is probably your tiredness, which makes your body go for a quick sugar fix, but that makes your blood sugar peak and then drop again, so you feel worse and even more tired. The other time I find I want to binge is when I have a cold coming, which can also make you feel tired and down, so it may be that.
  • briniepoo
    briniepoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating these sorts of things that you crave into your diet? Or have you made it a no no sort of food completely? Maybe try taking controlled portion sizes of these foods you craved throughout the week to prevent you from bingeing? Don't be embarassed, you're not alone. Trying to train your body into eating healthily is hard and your mind and stomach often rebels as you've experienced!!

I have not made the food I binge on a no no per say, I prefer to not have chocolates and sweets during the week, then Saturday or Friday I will have abit of a cheat day and have the food I want. But I think I should try adding some sweets in controlled portions during the week in order to control my suger level.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    There is a very good acronym - HALT. It means if you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, you'll make bad choices, and that includes food choices.The culprit is probably your tiredness, which makes your body go for a quick sugar fix, but that makes your blood sugar peak and then drop again, so you feel worse and even more tired. The other time I find I want to binge is when I have a cold coming, which can also make you feel tired and down, so it may be that.

Thats a good acronym. I think I am tired, and abit lonely, everyday work work work. I tend to binge when I dont work out, or swim.
  • MurphyGee
    Options
    Don't know if you found a way to manage this yet, but I'd suggest
    - looking at what you're eating for your calories and try to make these calories foods that give you a sustained release of energy (e.g. low GI) and
    - try to eat a little more regularly (I know this can be hard at work, but just a small snack here and there can make a big difference)
    - drink lost of water throughout the day
    This will give your body a more continuous supply of energy.

I've found an easy way to do this is eat my lunch (often leftovers) into two smaller meals a couple of hours apart. Part of the problem with going to high sugar for a quick pick me up is that it's a bit addictive and comes with a crash a while after, so it's just a short term fix.

It might also help to replace the urge or thought that you need sugar or whatever you think you 'shouldn't' eat with a more positive action, e.g. walk around the block, 5 minutes of crunches and pushups, glass of water etc
    Whatever you do it needs to work for you and your everyday life or not only do you not feel great, but it's not sustainable.

Good luck with it :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you're halfway done.
    You should update your goals on MFP to something more realistic than the 2lb per week. Eat more and you won't feel like you have to binge.

.5 lb / week will give you a more sustainable and realistic goal.
  • briniepoo
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel better now!! Time to start again with new goals and confidence!