Re-gained 18 pounds :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. We all have other things to do besides workout, but like people have said before exercise is not all there is to weight loss. I lost my 1st 30 pounds but simply eating less. I still ate everything I wanted to eat, just less of it. Then I got cocky and thought meh I can eat whatever I want and be golden. I gained 10 pounds back. Then I decided I needed to get off my *kitten* and fix the things I was unhappy with. No one else can fix me, but me. And I have oodles of "Excuses" too I have 2 kids and a husband, we live with his grandparents and I stay at home all day to help her and take care of my 14 month old son until I have to pick my oldest son, 6, up from school. Then I literally do everything else around the house until my husband gets home from work at 630, after that it is dinner, baths, cleaning, bed time and lunch prep for the next day. The only free time I have during the day is when my son is taking a nap, an hour and a half I could/should be doing anything that I want/should be doing and I spend 40-60 minutes of it working out. I have to make that choice. Just like I have to make the choice to stay up an extra 15-20 minutes at night to pre log my food for the next day and I have to make the choice to drink water when everyone else in the house is drinking soda, or eat a fiber one brownie instead of a cupcake. If you don't like eating the "healthy" food, then stop buying it and get something you actually like this has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, you need to do what will work best for you in the long run, something you know you can and will stick with. You can do this, but you have to get out of your head and believe in yourself some. You did it before, you can do it now. Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if arch supports might help your feet and calves by taking the pressure off and changing your posture for the better. If you can get your feet and legs feeling easier then as you feel better things could well change. Another thought your shoes might have lost the ability to give you the support you need.

For myself, I am highly, very salicylate sensitive. This means were I to go back to eating all the fruits, vegetables herbs and spices tea coffee and juices most people eat today I would be decidedly bloated and ill. I have regular pains which indicate to me if I am overloaded with to much salicylate for me. You could try visiting the "food can make you ill" web site because different people react to different foods in different ways. There is a book of the same title here in the UK. Some years ago I came across a book by the title of "the better I eat the worse I feel".

For some there is more to food than it just being food.

I hope you find your answer. all the very best for a healthy future
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    unfortunately with every action there will be a result or in some consequences and not all ways good ones, looking after our health is our personal responsibility and the reality is you need to take responsibility. I've not read one comment that although to you may seem harsh is being unsupported. Some times what we need to hear is hurtful and this makes us think about things and helps to see things from another perspective... If you want to add me to your friends list I'll gladly help where I can and I'm sure there are others out there to.... Eating is a life necessity and a way of life, you are the last 1000 meals so if they are unhealthy, so what is there to expect... take care Paul
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon a great article yesterday: "How to Stay Focused When Working on Your Goals Gets Boring." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-clear/focus-goals_b_3963093.html

As an athletic coach and someone with my own athletic goals, I read the article with interest. However the message is important to getting in shape/losing weight as well. I would highly recommend it. But reading through the article, which links to other articles he has written, I came across one that is perhaps more relevant. It discusses the need to change your identity in order to stick with your goals, the fact that appearance-based goals don't stick, while taking little steps to reinforce a change in the way you view yourself- your identity, does work.

1. Decide the type of person you want to be.

2. Prove it to yourself with small wins.

Note: I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with incredibly small steps. The goal is not to achieve results at first, the goal is to become the type of person who can achieve those things.

For example, a person who works out consistently is the type of person who can become strong. Develop the identity of someone who works out first, and then move on to performance and appearance later.

Start small and trust that the results will come as you develop a new identity.

Want to lose weight?

Identity: Become the type of person who moves more every day.

Small win: Buy a pedometer. Walk 50 steps when you get home from work. Tomorrow, walk 100 steps. The day after that, 150 steps. If you do this 5 days per week and add 50 steps each day, then by the end of the year, you’ll be walking over 10,000 steps per day.

Want to become strong?

Identity: Become the type of person who never misses a workout.

Small win: Do pushups every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Find a way to create these small victories for yourself and build on them daily or weekly. Establish your identity as a fit, healthy person. There are many people on this site who have had aches and pains, and for whom the daily slog of eating well and exercise was not an easy task. Yet they reinforce their new identity on a daily basis, and success follows.

For me, I gain weight every time my mother comes to visit. Not much, but a good 5-7 pounds. Enough to make my clothes tight. See, she likes to cook things- things like chocolate chip cookies, huge dinners...and she becomes upset if I don't "enjoy" her gifts of food. She arrived last night, and this time she will be with us for 6 months, and she will eventually live with us. I am training for a 50 mile race in November (bear in mind that 1.5 years ago I "didn't run.") Now, if I eat the way I normally eat when she visits, I will have to carry those new pounds around with me for 50 MILES. I am working to reinforce my identity as a healthy eater and someone who cares more about long term success than short term pleasure- those cookies sure are good, especially fresh out of the oven! This means talking to her and telling her that if she makes those things, I won't eat them, and letting her know that it is because of who I am, and not a personal slight to her, or because I don't appreciate what she tries to do for me.

I think all of us here are on this site to create identities- as healthy, athletic people. Find your identity and live it. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Here's the second article: http://jamesclear.com/identity-based-habits
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Kristen- I get what you are saying, but if there is no point to wanting support, why does this site exist? Why choose this site over the color or counting apps?

Yes, excuses and some reasons. I'm used to running. That helped me when I was eating well and I was working out, I kept the weight off. I didn't lose much. Most of what I did lose was just from eating differently. I may be trying to make it too perfect. Which I'd gather you say is an excuse. Is everything an excuse to you? Or are there reasons too?

I've been trying to eat anti-inflammatory foods, gluten free foods, alkalinizing foods, low gi foods...one says one food is good the other says it is bad. I get frustrated trying to figure out the healthiest foods too eat.

I can lose weight without eating "healthy". But I'm trying to do it the right way. And I get frustrated and give up since I don't have the time to make all this stuff or it doesn't taste good. Trying to do it the "right" way. The "healthy" way doesn't work for me. I get way too frustrated that way.

What's more important eating healthy to lose weight and not losing weight or losing weight and then working on the healthy aspects of it?

Sorry if I didn't come across supportive. Maybe I'm just tired of all the people on here coming up with all the excuses why this is too hard. It is HARD. If it wasn't hard every woman in the world would be a size 2-4 and never have an issue with weight.

To me, sounds like you are getting caught up in the details. There is no way to do this "right". I don't care how you eat less and find a little time to move more, you just need to do it. If eating small things every 2-3 hours works, knock yourself out. If eating 2 meals a day works, then do it. All this "right" way stuff is just another excuse. There is no right way. You need to find a way to eat where you are satisfied but under your calorie goal. If that means every dinner at McDonalds, then do that. People can make all the suggestions in the world to help, but the only person that really cares if you lose weight is YOU. Try things, see what works and stick with it. If running isn't something you can do for the rest of your life do something else. Swim, take long walks, buy a bike...

I could seriously go on and on. And probably upset you and make you mad. But you need to decide this for yourself. NO ONE here can do it for you. We can be here to cheer you on...but we can't lose the weight you want to lose. Best of luck and I'm sorry I didn't help.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I do prepare healthy foods ahead of time. Last week I made ginger quinoa with vegetables for breakfast (enough for all week and portioned it out in containers to take to work), and brown rice with vegetables and chicken for dinner (again prepared and portioned). Tuna fish was on the menu for lunch with almond crackers. All ready to go and I didn't eat it. I wasted all of that food. Some may still be good. I have a problem of only eating food I want to, not food I prepare or planned on. I don't like eating something (or making myself) eat something I don't want to.
    [/quote]

That is me to a T! I am finally getting back on track after slacking off for August and September. That got me 5-6 lbs of my weight loss back. I need to kick them to the curb now.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well for a while and lost 43 pounds - eating a lot better and working out. Now I've regained 18 of that 45 pounds in the last 3 months. I can't run anymore (or even walk at a fast pace), due to the muscles in my feet and calves hurting. Biking and Elliptical a little, not as much as running. I'm going to physical therapy to work on getting my feet/calves better. I definitely have not been eating well - in fact I'd even say that I've been really bad. I started working more than one job, and I barely have time for myself. It's frustrating.

I'm doing what I can to try to have a good financial future, but that is impacting my health. I can't think of any cardio that won't hurt my feet. The muscles in my feet and calves are incredibly tight so when there is pressure on them, hey hurt. My OT suggested the elliptical and biking, but those hurt too. I'm very frustrated, and angry at myself that I let myself regain weight that I worked so hard on losing. In case it makes a difference (or you just want to know) Height: 5'6", SW 240, LW 197, CW 215. I have very little support in losing weight, not that I have a ton of people that sabotage that (although there are some), but no one actively supporting my decisions in losing weight. My motivation is most definitely lacking now, especially since I have gained weight back - I just want to give up and cry and eat a whole bag of Oreos (I don't have any, but I have thought about buying it, but I have not).

You just picked up your old habits that caused you to gain weight. Think about what foods you started to pick back up. think about why you did that. this is when people say diets dont work.. no, its that people start eating back their old habits that made them fat - they started back on their old eating habits. so stop doing that.

Now, put all that aside and start your weight loss again, with a calorie deficit,, dont worry about exercise for now. do your MFP macros/calories and start following that. Put the past behind you.

If you dont, then your future will just be fat continually.
  • CKaminer
    Options
    I totally can relate to this post. I lost 25 pounds last year , but I have a sun allergy (PMLE) that I got during my second pregnancy and it never left. So when spring and summer came around I was on steroids the entire time fighting horrible hives. Even with steroids I had to limit my time in the sun and from them I had a huge hunger to which I caved and ate everything that I craved. I also injured my back 2 years ago and underwent a lumbar fusion at the end of august. I am still on restrictions which I hope to get the clear from my Dr at the end of this month. I had gained all 25 lbs back but I am back down 10 lbs again this month just from healthier choices , portion control and minor exercises. My starting goal is 40 lbs and my main goal is 60. Just take this bump in the road and move on. You live and learn.