Gaining Weight on TDEE

Hi All,

This is my first time posting so please be gentle with me :smile:

I have being doing TDEE for about 1 month and haven't lost any weight, I have gained 2 pounds instead :sad:

I don't know what i am doing wrong. I track all my food and haven't gone over my weekly calorie goal.

I am 5ft 2in and at moment weigh 133 pounds and i would like to get down to 120 pounds. My total TDEE mins 20% is 1536, I have put that I work out 3 days a week for round 1 hour but sometimes I do 5 days a week. I do Stronglifts 3xweek and 15mins of HITT after this and sometimes might do 2 days of swimming for about 35 - 45min.

I don't know what to do and could really do with some help please?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    TDEE calculators are just estimates. Check your numbers and you can always lower them by 100.

Don't get fixated on the number 120 you are already within what is considered a healthy range at 133. I'm not saying you may not need to lose a few more pounds just that the number on the scale isn't everything it's just a guide. Go on how you look and feel maybe change your exercise program a little. There is lots of good advice on here if you think lifting may help
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    1) How carefully are you measuring your portions. Kitchen scale is the best way for anything you have a weight measure for. Measuring cups and measuring spoons for the rest.

2) Did you just change to TDEE - 20% from a much lower calorie goal? If so, this may correct itself over time and simply be your body adjusting?

3) Did you change your workout program or intensity a lot at the same time? That can result in water retention to help repair the muscles.

4) Do you take any other measurements than weight. Weight is probably the least helpful measure of progress. Measure your chest, waist, and hips at the very least as those measurements are much more helpful in tracking progress. Remember, the point is to lose fat, and that can be done while weight does not change a whole lot. For that matter, it is possible for measurements to go down and weight to go up if your lift weights. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ In other words, stop relying only on the scale measurement of how heavy you are.

5) Do you lift weights or do some bodyweight strength training? I would highly recommend doing so if you don't