Shin splints?

Options
I got back into exercising two weeks ago, usually running 3 times a week and strength training 3 times a week (with a little running those days). The second week though I quit running on days I was strength training, because I was getting horrible shin splints that left me almost unable to walk. I take a rest day usually on Sunday but I'm going to start leaving Saturday out too.

I recently got new shoes to replace my old ones that were too small. The shoes are fit to my foot type and how I run, but I'm still getting horrible shin splints. I'm dropping running for the next two weeks and skipping out on any jumping/running exercises on Jillian DVDs.

Any advice otherwise?

Replies

• kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Did you get your shoes properly fitted or just went with type you have had before? If not fitted then it could be the shoes, gait can change with weight gain/loss/age etc so always get fitted correctly.

If they were fitted buy a reputable shop take them back and tell them you are having these issues they may have a refund policy.

If its not your shoes, try calf guards! they are like sleeves you put on the help with recovery, worked wonders for my shin splints. Also try ice packs on your shins to take down the inflamation.

Also try a sports massage, I have problems with my shins if my calf and thigh muscles are too tight.

Hope something helps.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Did you ease into running of go from no exercise to running 3x per week?