Turkey Burgers

Options
I'm making them for the first time tonight. How long should I cook them on the grill? I imagine since the meat is so lean, that I won't want to cook them as long as beef since they might dry out? Any seasoning ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I cook them often - don't know the timing but I wait until the juices begin to come up on the surface, then turn. Another 3 (approx) minutes on the other side. You do not want to undercook turkey burgers - not like beef that you can eat rare/med rare. Gotta cook thru - no pink!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say - season them well as they do not have that rich beef flavor and can be bland without seasoning!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The only seasonings I use on my food are usually Mrs. Dash. They have zero sodium and are pretty flavorful! I cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, I think. It's been awhile since I cooked them.
  • michelle29714
    Options
    They are awesome by the way! I only eat turkey burgers now...no beef....3 mins each side maybe less..previous post correct. Wait until the juices start bubbling on top and then flip, season to taste...YUMMY!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Typically you need to cook them longer than beef! They are poultry so they HAVE to be fully cooked or you risk salmonella poisoning. Burgers can be undercooked. They may be more dry than beef burgers but thatis the price you pay. I make them and LOVE them.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The meat is not necessarily lean. Make sure you get the lean ground turkey. They can have just as much fat as regular beef.

Usually takes the same amount of time as a regular burger.
  • velvetechos
    Options
    For seasoning, I actually do some pressed garlic, chopped onion and bell pepper mixed with the meat and formed into patties. A bit of black pepper if you like, and you're good to go.
  • jenniflower75
    jenniflower75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get Jenni-o 1/4 lb turkey burgers and absolutely love them.. i cook them a total of about 15 min. I dont season them but do still put mustard on them like i would a regular burger. I dont eat the ground meat any more even got my kids eating the turkey burgers lol. I was recently told i have high cholesterol so i switched immediatly to turkey. and Jennie o is lean turkey. It's 160 calories for a 1/4 lb burger.. cant beat that with a stick. I hope you enjoy them as much as i do :D
  • lessjess1
    lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So the turkey burgers were GREAT! We seasoned them with jerk, grilled them and ate with mayo and lettuce on a thomas light english muffin. Yummmmy!!!