Oatmeal, Oat Bran or Steel cut?

Which do you guys prefer & find the most filling throughout the day? I need it to keep me full through most of my morning. TIA!

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Steel cut all the way, just google the difference.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    I happen to prefer steel cut as well.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Steel cut it is! I just wish it didn't take so darn long to cook! Lol
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi

I agree with the other posters about steel cut oats. I prepared on Sunday for the entire week, since it takes longer to cook
    Yummy recipe here
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/health/nutrition/08recipehealth.html

If i run out , I will use Old fashioned oats , cooked with diced apple and a cinnamon stick. skim milk added after simmer.

I have "instant oatmeal" (lowest possible sugar level ) for emergencies only, like I have to travel very early and the airport does not have any healthy breakfast alternative or I am at a hotel without a healthy breakfast item.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member

Check out slow cooked crock pot recipes. Basically you can let it slow cook overnight. We do this once a week and have leftovers for the whole week and its so good.
  • nyla2120

Check out slow cooked crock pot recipes. Basically you can let it slow cook overnight. We do this once a week and have leftovers for the whole week and its so good.

Great idea! Thanks!
  • nyla2120
    Hi

I agree with the other posters about steel cut oats. I prepared on Sunday for the entire week, since it takes longer to cook
    Yummy recipe here
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/health/nutrition/08recipehealth.html

If i run out , I will use Old fashioned oats , cooked with diced apple and a cinnamon stick. skim milk added after simmer.

I have "instant oatmeal" (lowest possible sugar level ) for emergencies only, like I have to travel very early and the airport does not have any healthy breakfast alternative or I am at a hotel without a healthy breakfast item.

Thanks for the idea!
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    I prefer oat bran.

I stir eggs in my cooked oat bran, maybe the protein helps with keeping me full.
    I love to top it with a Tbsp of peanut butter and some berries *yum*
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

I like an instant steel cut variety .... it takes 5 minutes & still has a steel cut texture. I make it with milk instead of water for extra protien. After it's cooked I throw in a tablespoon of chopped nuts (for good fat) that also helps me stay full.
  • nyla2120

I like an instant steel cut variety .... it takes 5 minutes & still has a steel cut texture. I make it with milk instead of water for extra protien. After it's cooked I throw in a tablespoon of chopped nuts (for good fat) that also helps me stay full.

I didn't know there were instant steel cut oats, I have to google where to buy them. Thanks!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Steel cut
  • Dell2u
    Dell2u Posts: 16 Member
    Steel cut and a couple egg whites does it for me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Steel cut for the win!

I cook a week's worth (well, almost, 6 servings) in the crock pot every weekend.

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 cups water
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or almond/coconut blend - Blue Diamond)
    1/2 cup raisins
    and a few dashes each of cinnamon and nutmeg

Cook on low for 5 hours, turn crock pot off and let it finish cooking in it's own heat and start cooling for 1-2 hours then spoon into six 1 cup containers.

I've also used a cut up (not peeled) apple instead of the raisins and it's VERY good. I'm sure craisins would work well too.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Also Bobs Red Mill makes a quick steel cut oat. I just bought a package and so far so good. 5-7 minutes after boil. Not to bad.
    Oh and I second the crockpot method as well, works awesome.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Steel cut.

Add a tablespoon of chia seeds and that shiz will stick with you til lunch.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Definetely Steel cut!

I also do the crockpot version and double it so we have some for all week.
    With the doubled version you can cook it 7-8 hours on low. I prefer this method so I can cook overnight.
    I like it thick and sticky!

I am currently using a recipe that has oats, milk, water, cinnamon, apple slices, brown sugar.
    Cant remember exact measurements since at work but I got from yummycooking.com I think.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'm assuming you use a small crockpot if you're only doing 6 servings at a time? I don't have one :(
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member

Steel cut. You can also use a rice cooker to have it done in a half hour. Just make sure and only use it up to 1/3 capacity, max, or else it'll boil over.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    If you have a pressure cooker you can cook them in about 10 minutes.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Steel cut all the way. No contest.